Lancaster with pin ups on?

rob85

I would like to build my lanc, it's the new tool airfix and I have the box option for 'thumper' and another couple of sets including 'Johnny walker' but I want something a bit different.

you don't often see many Lancasters with pin up girls on the side, and my research on google has given me a few options but I was wondering if you guys had any more ideas? Any transfer sets out there? 

If you hadnt guessed I'm looking at 1/72 :) 

thanks for any help, my current favourite is 'Sugar's Blues' but that would mean modding the turret to a) a different type and b ) further forward.... not out of my comfort zone but would rather a cleaner build.

thanks in advance 

Rob

• Like 1

Great minds think alike Rob. I was hoping to do Sugar's blues too, for a proposed Canadian GB.

The same thing has me thinking about it; the nose turret. The Canadians had quite a few raunchy nose art Mk. X.

I also considered Lincolnshire's 'Just Jane' (Mk. VII?). Could be a nice way to go as she is possibly getting close to flying condition:

Just Jane

There's also the second RAAF 'S for Sugar' that looks like this:

S for Sugar II (463 squadron RAAF)

I really like that one. Any idea what Mk. she is? There's lots on the 'net about the first S for Sugar, but I can't find much on this one.

There's also 'Naughty Nan' another RAAF aircraft, but again, I don't know the Mark (BII?).

Naughty Nan

Hope I've been a bit of help and looking forward to see what you choose, and your build :).

TonyT

• Like 1

Some sites:

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc-noseart-d-f.htm

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nose_art_on_Avro_Lancaster

http://www.rcaf434squadron.com/lady-orchid/

If you should come across either of these two book, they both have a lot of nose art pictures in them.

51XXTKD3D4L._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51NGZBGPFNL._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

Kits World do a selection in 1/72 with some nice choices including 'Just Jane'... they're eye-wateringly expensive but the top two sets on the list have 4 options in each. That said, I personally wouldn't be likely to build more than one Lanc (maybe two, a B.I/III and a B.II if I live long enough :D)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

What about 'Piccadilly Princess" of 424 Sqn. (RCAF) - a Mk.I - coded 'QB*P - s/n.NG347?  No Mk.X mods needed.  Zotz Decals did a 72nd sheet of Lanc's with pin-up nose art.that  included both "Sugar's Blues" and "Piccadilly Princess".  I'm not sure of the current status of Zotz decals, but if they're not around any more (used to have a web page) maybe a look on E-bay or a private sale, might yield a set. 

PM me as I might have a duplicate sheet that I could just pass off to a good home, but I'll have to check first.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

On 2/23/2017 at 5:20 PM, dogsbody said:

This is from the first book I mentioned above.

Fan%20001.jpg

Fann%20001.jpg

Chris

Cheers for that Chris, great info and nose art! made even more comical for me as I call my mother in law fanny (her name is Francis) she is rather prim and well to do so this would go down a storm!!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 8:55 PM, Scott Hemsley said:

What about 'Piccadilly Princess" of 424 Sqn. (RCAF) - a Mk.I - coded 'QB*P - s/n.NG347?  No Mk.X mods needed.  Zotz Decals did a 72nd sheet of Lanc's with pin-up nose art.that  included both "Sugar's Blues" and "Piccadilly Princess".  I'm not sure of the current status of Zotz decals, but if they're not around any more (used to have a web page) maybe a look on E-bay or a private sale, might yield a set. 

PM me as I might have a duplicate sheet that I could just pass off to a good home, but I'll have to check first.

Scott

and PM sent, Cheers Scott!

Rob

In my opinion two tasty (although not really very big due to the space-occupying mission tallies) pin-ups on the Lancasters you can find among the Polish-manned RAF No.300 Squadron machines - maybe the reason I like them is that I'm Polish :)

One of them is famous "Lady in Champagne" LL804 from early 1944 and another is "Crescent Moon Nude" ME470 from early 1945. Strangely both aircraft wore BH@F codes  http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/555/9/2

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KRK4m said:

In my opinion two tasty (although not really very big due to the space-occupying mission tallies) pin-ups on the Lancasters you can find among the Polish-manned RAF No.300 Squadron machines - maybe the reason I like them is that I'm Polish :)

One of them is famous "Lady in Champagne" LL804 from early 1944 and another is "Crescent Moon Nude" ME470 from early 1945. Strangely both aircraft wore BH@F codes  http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/555/9/2

Cheers

Michael

I've seen the 'lady in champagne' before but not 'crescent moon nude' both great options mind. I do like polish aircraft, something about them!.... I can see how you are biased!

Rob