Matchbox 1/72 RF-101 Voodoo (1980 Tooling)

Hello Chaps,

This is my fourth "Hairy Stick" adventure that I completed in January 2017- again, this was a very basic kit by Matchbox from 1980 that has been in my stash untouched for a very long time. Upon opening the box, I found that the decals were missing along with the port-side air brake. I was fortunate to discover that a fellow modeling buddy had a spare set of decals for this kit that he kindly sent to me, the port-side air brake, I scratch built by using the starboard side air brake as a template and marking out the shape onto a molded part that had very similar surface geometry.

The cockpit for this two-seater version was very basic- just two seats in a blank tub, so I decided to scratch-build 27 parts and added 15 sections of decals from my spares box to dress up the scratch-built instrument panels and the side-consoles. I scratch-built foot pedals and their support mounts, two joysticks, two instrument panels, seat-belts, ejector pull handles- 2 to each seat mounted at the front ends of the seat side panels, green display screens for front and rear IP's, the canopy actuator and its housing behind the Pilot seat.

The exhausts were just two hollow tubes which I didn't like, so, I decided to make the inner afterburner tubes and thrust rings to dress those up a little and include the turbine fans in the rear of the tube. The inner tubes were created from spare bomb parts that I glued together then chopped off the nose ends. I then took spare 1/32 scale Eduard Me109 E-3 wheels and cut the center hubs out and the rings that were left were used as the thrust rings. The spoked hubs that I removed were used as the fan blades in the back end of the tubes.

For an old basic kit, I had a lot of fun building it and adding the extra scratch-built items, crude as they may be....

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: shoes

Image may contain: airplane

If you'd like to see my "Build Update #1" YouTube video showing what did within the cockpit, here is the link to that:

...and if you'd like to see my "Final Reveal + rest of the build' video, then here is the link to that one:

Thanks in advance for checking in and leaving any comments, much appreciated!

Happy modeling,

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by UKguyInUSA
Incorrect aircraft description in title
  • Like 38

Hello, Martin - My full compliments to you on the fourth occasion this evening!😀

I've recently completed a build of the 'Voodoo' and found it a very satisfying subject to model.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Very fine model, I like the shading and weathering. Good photography as well, these early Yank jets make nice looking models, good choice of subject.

Always nice to see someone take one of those older, sometimes maligned, kind of kits and make something nice out them!  Well done!

Everything is so impressive on this plane, all the way down to the burner cans, actually especially the jet pipes!

You've done a really great job on this kit!

Congratulations

JR

Hi Martin!!!

Congratulations for the build of this old but nice kit!!!

I remember the excitation I have expereimented when Matchbox announced the PK-411 launch of the kit, this one was a highly wished and waited item and well, when the kit arrived to the market I was happy to know that but not so fortunate to buy her...those kits have never reached my country until a new store named Royal hobby Shop was opened in 1989...the guy in charge named Roy Fischer, a friend too, have been very keen with all the modeler listening the wishes and bringing here even kits from the East Europe. 

One day talking with him the conversation theme was Matchbox...I told him about this kit and one day he brought the kit here...this kit was at his store until the day after my son was born...December 30th 1990, when I knew about the cost of hospital expenses and other things wished to make myself a present and visited the store, I told my friend about the good news, we toasted for tthat and he remembered I wished that kit and some others, and for the joy of what have happened in my life, he told me that I will have that day a 25% discount in whatever I will buy....so, bought this kit and some ACE  1/72 A-7 variants, F-8, Hasegawa Phantoms  and other things that even at 26 years after are in my stash.

I liked the love which you spend in this build, and is very nice to watch old girls so resplendent as your build here, liked a lot the painting and all the detail  you have adeed. BTW have bought another one of tis kits and the chosen version for sure willbe the same as you: "The 2000 MPH Brownie Camera"!!!

ALSO:When my daughther was born on June 27th 1993 I bought the Revell/Monogram wonderful 1/72 Voodoo too!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Great result with this old Matchbox kit. Have built two if them in the eighties - one straight from the box and one painted. Not long ago had the idea of making a RB-101B from the newer Revell kit, copying or scratchbuilding the camera nose. But seeing your result, it should be possible with the original kit and some homemade improvements.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

On 2/22/2017 at 1:56 PM, Darby said:

Always good to see Matchbox kits on show. I cut my teeth (and a few fingers) mainly on Matchbox kits.

I just built 3 matchbox kits in a row...the first time I've ever built them. They only had Airfix available in my LHS when I was a boy....but no complaints, I had fun back then.

Cheers :)

On 2/22/2017 at 2:08 PM, adey m said:

That is superb Martin,  you have just shown what can be done with those classic Matchbox kits.

cheers, Adrian

Thanks Adrian, greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

On 2/22/2017 at 2:15 PM, DennisTheBear said:

Some nice 'magic' there with a good old basic Maychbox kit!

DennisTheBear

Thanks Dennis, greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Martin :)