Viscount Help 700/800 specs...

ROBOT

4 hours ago, Leongrnfld said:

Your Viscount model looks magnificent !

Did you modify the front of the fuselage in any way ? (Specifically around the cockpit or radome)

Aside from adding plugs to lengthen the fuselage did you modify the fuselage in any other way ?

Also,what did you do to create the fuselage plugs?

I also have this kit (Mach 2 Viscount) and would also like to convert it to an -813 -but in South African Airways colours 

Hello and thanks Leon,

The fuselage was lengthened with a hollow resin "plug" produced by Hamilton Hobbies in Australia, This resin modification kit also includes wing "slipper" tanks because the set was aimed at modellers who wished to make the RAAF Viscount versions. I am not much of an expert on the Viscount so there was only one other modification I made. Even though a "radar" nose is included in the kit (you saw off the non radar "Roman" nose and cement the alternate one on) I found that the nose shape still looked too flat. I built up the nose area with apoxie sculpt and sanded it back to a more pleasing (to my eye) "pointy" shape.

I am looking for another kit now.. I want to build the same airframe in "Manx" livery.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:49 AM, wallyinoz said:

Hello and thanks Leon,

The fuselage was lengthened with a hollow resin "plug" produced by Hamilton Hobbies in Australia, This resin modification kit also includes wing "slipper" tanks because the set was aimed at modellers who wished to make the RAAF Viscount versions. I am not much of an expert on the Viscount so there was only one other modification I made. Even though a "radar" nose is included in the kit (you saw off the non radar "Roman" nose and cement the alternate one on) I found that the nose shape still looked too flat. I built up the nose area with apoxie sculpt and sanded it back to a more pleasing (to my eye) "pointy" shape.

I am looking for another kit now.. I want to build the same airframe in "Manx" livery.

Hi Wally,

Many thanks thanks for the information.Did you make any modification to the cockpit windows ?

5 hours ago, Leongrnfld said:

Hi Wally,

Many thanks thanks for the information.Did you make any modification to the cockpit windows ?

The cockpit framing on the "clear" part has overly thick, incorrectly shaped framing. In 1:1 sale the windows would be recessed by about a foot I reckon :lol: I f you wanted to retain transparent windows you would have to sand down the frames and polish the part. As mine was already glued in and the model already primed I elected to fill the recessed windows, mask off a more correct frame pattern and painted the windows

On 3/31/2017 at 1:56 AM, wallyinoz said:

The cockpit framing on the "clear" part has overly thick, incorrectly shaped framing. In 1:1 sale the windows would be recessed by about a foot I reckon :lol: I f you wanted to retain transparent windows you would have to sand down the frames and polish the part. As mine was already glued in and the model already primed I elected to fill the recessed windows, mask off a more correct frame pattern and painted the windows

Hi Wally,

Many thanks.When I do build this model I want the cockpit windows to be transparent and will do as you advise for this.

In addition to the Mach2 model kit I also have the 1/96 FROG Viscount 800 and the Glencoe Viscount 700.