Viscount Help 700/800 specs...

ROBOT

Hello forum members & vickers experts,

I have a little problem. Just ordered the F-Resin Vickers Viscount 800 (Hannants) but in the package was a -700 (in a -800 Box...). As I ordered some lovely -800 decals from 26 already  too, and I'm too lazy to make an inquiry and send it back and wait for a refund or exchange kit I wondered, as I planned to do some scratchwork anyway, is it so hard to convert a -700 to an 800?

What would be required?

• Different Cockpit Windows style (fixed by decals )
  • Different doors (filling the old ones, fixed by new -800 style door decals)
  • Lengthening the fuselage (now my question, I calculated 28 mm length difference in 1:144 scale according to my references, is that correct?
  • Where to cut the fuselage - in front or aft of the wing?
  • any other major differences (worth mentioning in 1/144 scale ?)

Thanks a lot !!

Happy modelling, Olli

I'll need to look it up, but I think the extension was in front of the wing, but there were extra windows aft of the wing. they extdended the cabin by moving the rea bulkhead back a bit.

the other thing to watch for is the nose cone differed - the nacelles may have had slight differences based on the mark as well.

Edited by Dave Fleming

The details regarding numbers and positioning of cabin windows, flight deck windows, doors and engine cowling shapes will depend not only whether it is a V800 or V700 but also on what sub variant within the series your desired airframe falls into, just as it would be on a Spitfire for e.g.

The good news on fuselage length is that the extension is ahead of the wing as Dave Fleming correctly says. The plug was 3ft 10ins full size. Extra cabin internal length was achieved by moving the rear pressure bulkhead 5ft rearwards, invisible to the outside except for certain V810s. Be a bit wary of overall fuselage length measurements too because the different types of radomes fitted affected this measurement.

The tailplane was allegedly given a small increase in dihedral for the V800 (and a slightly asymmetrical span on the V810 series) but since I've seen the actual dihedral angles quoted at 15deg and 13.7deg, in 1/144 any change made wouldn't really make much sense.

When you have decided on your airframe prototype, get back to me and I'll try to give you chapter and verse on window and doors configs.

The guy I would have now referred you to for details per airframe c/n would be Garry Russell but he sadly passed away recently and his encyclopaedic knowledge in this area is now lost to us. I'd be glad to help more though if you need it and given my Britmodeller name, the Viscount is in my dna dating from my engineering days in BKS/Northeast/Cambrian/BA etc. etc.

Watch out for aftermarket decals, they often (usually actually) get window and door configuration in  error.

Toodle pip, Nige B

• Like 2

Hello Dave and Nige, thanks a lot for your quick and precise response, I have Rays  decals for the northeast/cambrian liveries, ( both so lovely I will buy another Viscount anyway) that should narrow down the sub-Type I guess?! As an engineer  on this beauties you must know every inch of this plane..  Thanks again, Olli

Many thanks guys for the answers. Believe it or not, this is the first time I think I've read where the length difference was situated and is tying in nicely with the ongoing work in progress thread by Viking. Thanks.

Jeff

17 hours ago, ROBOT said:

Hello Dave and Nige, thanks a lot for your quick and precise response, I have Rays  decals for the northeast/cambrian liveries, ( both so lovely I will buy another Viscount anyway) that should narrow down the sub-Type I guess?! As an engineer  on this beauties you must know every inch of this plane..  Thanks again, Olli

Olli, my memories are fading a little, it was 1982 when the fleet moved on. My heart sank just a tiny bit when you mentioned which colour schemes you had in mind. There is absolutely no doubt that 2-6 (Ray) has done us proud with his Viscount decals but unfortunately he made a small error on those for the V806X. The very forward windows on both sides are positioned as they are on the V802 on all Ray's V806 sheets,  the V802 was  very much a sister aircraft within the fleets but had different window positioning just the same. The forward 'big door' on the early V800s is also a bit undersized and has squared off corners on the decals whereas they are rounded off on the real a/c. Window positioning can be rectified before decalling up by cutting the forward  windows off each decal strip and repositioning them correctly. Careful study of photos will reveal to you what I'm bleating about. The picture on my own BM header is of a V806X of Northeast (previously BKS and BEA and eventually back into BA until 1982). You can see the wider spaced forward cabin windows when looking at an '802 alongside.

Hope I'm helping and not hindering.

• Like 1

Your help is highly appreciated,

I hope I can build the F Resin kit into a good representation of the real thing. When (if) it gets finished someday I will post the result here !

Thanks for your hints and tips and for sharing your expertise with me,

Regards,

Olli

1 hour ago, ROBOT said:

Your help is highly appreciated,

I hope I can build the F Resin kit into a good representation of the real thing. When (if) it gets finished someday I will post the result here !

Thanks for your hints and tips and for sharing your expertise with me,

Regards,

Olli

Good luck anyway. Not sure where you are in Deutch but there used to be a Lufthansa V814 at Frankfurt am Main about 10 years ago when I worked out there. Very different doors and windows again though but interesting.

On 22/02/2017 at 2:30 PM, ROBOT said:

Hello forum members & vickers experts,

I have a little problem. Just ordered the F-Resin Vickers Viscount 800 (Hannants) but in the package was a -700 (in a -800 Box...). As I ordered some lovely -800 decals from 26 already  too, and I'm too lazy to make an inquiry and send it back and wait for a refund or exchange kit I wondered, as I planned to do some scratchwork anyway, is it so hard to convert a -700 to an 800?

What would be required?

• Different Cockpit Windows style (fixed by decals )
  • Different doors (filling the old ones, fixed by new -800 style door decals)
  • Lengthening the fuselage (now my question, I calculated 28 mm length difference in 1:144 scale according to my references, is that correct?
  • Where to cut the fuselage - in front or aft of the wing?
  • any other major differences (worth mentioning in 1/144 scale ?)

Thanks a lot !!

Happy modelling, Olli

Olli

i have an S&M 800 but I need a 700 - want to swap??

bruce

Very interesting thread this. Quick question, can anyone tell me how accurate the Viscount plans were in Aviation News Vol 7/14. Reason for the ask is I have a 1/72 Viscount model that seems to fit the Series 800 plans. The kit is resin and comprises a one piece fuselage and one piece wing and two off tailplanes which slot into fuselage. Four spinners are provided and that's the lot. "Kit" came to me at the Salisbury show and the seller said it was a travel agents model. cheers Chris 

17 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Very interesting thread this. Quick question, can anyone tell me how accurate the Viscount plans were in Aviation News Vol 7/14. Reason for the ask is I have a 1/72 Viscount model that seems to fit the Series 800 plans. The kit is resin and comprises a one piece fuselage and one piece wing and two off tailplanes which slot into fuselage. Four spinners are provided and that's the lot. "Kit" came to me at the Salisbury show and the seller said it was a travel agents model. cheers Chris 

AN plans are certainly not good enough for tolerance checking and you would be led up the garden path with them,  but they are useful for some reference details. They also show generic window and door positions and associated sizes which are completely incorrect for the specific subject they portray, as described above to Olli in my posts.

Unsure what your resin  model is but there were AIM resin kits in 1/72 for a V700 and a different kit for a V800. I have both but they are very complete with white metal parts etc.

Thinks:   You kit could be completed using parts from the Mach2 kit. The latter is abysmal but has quite nice props, u/c etc. You could then use the main parts to light your woodburning stove or barbie!

Nige B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2017 at 11:51 PM, AMB said:

S&M V.800 kits are swimming everywhere,so why not get one and perhaps cross-kit it with the F.RSIN wings/engines?

Trouble is, you'd still have that fuselage with the Electra nose a la Frog Viscount kit of yesteryear...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Authentic Airlines Viscount? They manufacture both the 700 and 800 series with a radar nose option. They are generally reckoned to be the dogs cahoonas as far as 1/144 Viscounts go.

http://www.authentic-airliners.de/KITS/VISCOUNT

Thomo

Beautiful kits, but rather expensive and the Op was looking to convert his F-Rsin one. Now if AA were to offer just the nose as a replacement piece for the SM kit......

while we are on Viscounts.. I am building a Mach 2 1/72 job converted to an 800 with a fuselage plug, I just tried out my home designed / made decals

I feel the love.. I went a bit far with the white silver cutoff will need touching up.

33243371412_4026873e2d_o.jpg
33358548256_fbcaafa678_o.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AMB said:

Wally, that's looking fantastic, but why is an Ozzie doing a BMA Viscount ? Surely TAA or Ansett-ANA would be more appropriate?

Hi Adrian,

good question, on reflection there are more than one reasons..

- I like to make models with some uniqueness about them

- I like my models to be colourful and attractive

I have taught myself how to design and print my own decals so this has allowed me to do this..

why British?

well I have gone through several civil aircraft building phases.. Papua New Guinea, Australia, Italian and a few randoms, but with my wife being a "yorkie" we go to the UK every year since my retirement, she visits family and during that time I go fell walking and go to airshows and museums... and I fall in love with aircraft I had previously ZERO interest in and hastily look for the appropriate kits hence:

32202894804_5b0d81116a_o.jpg 1/72 vacform with home made decals,

then I had an Avro York conversion which was going to be the Australian GGs aircraft but after seeing it in museum I preferred this:

32438381205_7fa4e27bd1_o.jpg (these decals came with the conversion)

The Viscount was going to be RAAF or an Australian airline but while I was searching for Britannia references I saw the BMA viscount, I thought that was a great scheme so I started the Viscount almost straight away after it had languished for years in my stash!

33432742381_84689a6401_o.jpg

so I plan to do a BMA 707 in 1/100 scale at some stage, am currently building something "Manx-y", and am seeking an AVF VC10 and a Formaplane Hastings for the future!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 20:20, wallyinoz said:

while we are on Viscounts.. I am building a Mach 2 1/72 job converted to an 800 with a fuselage plug, I just tried out my home designed / made decals

I feel the love.. I went a bit far with the white silver cutoff will need touching up.

Your Viscount model looks magnificent !

Did you modify the front of the fuselage in any way ? (Specifically around the cockpit or radome)

Aside from adding plugs to lengthen the fuselage did you modify the fuselage in any other way ?

Also,what did you do to create the fuselage plugs?

I also have this kit (Mach 2 Viscount) and would also like to convert it to an -813 -but in South African Airways colours