Fabricate Missing Wheels/Flaps/Bombs etc.

mojorising

Could not find topic if this has already been covered.

I have a few models with missing wheels, wheel doors, flaps, bombs etc..

Just wondering of there is any recommended technique for fabricating small missing parts like this?

What raw materials and methods are best?

Thanks

Wheel doors, flaps etc can be made from plastic card sheet.

For wheels and bombs etcetera, first stop for me is to see if there are replacements ready made in resin by the likes of Pavla or Quickboost.

If not then I make a rubber mould of the needed part taken on loan from another kit and cast the part in resin.

For rubber moulding there are two basic types; a brush on latex, and a mixable two-part rubber.

Each has its advanages and disadvantages

Thanks for the advice BK.

I am new to modelling so I did not know there was plastic sheeting for modelling but I found it now on ebay.

I also found clear perspex sheeting which is probably the answer to my other thread on canopies.

My models are not super-pro quality so I would be more looking at simple fabrication improvisation using plastic sheeting rather than resin parts or rubber moulding but thanks for the suggestions.

I'd advise you to

1. put the model in a zip-lock bag with a note of whats missing, for future repair

2. make a link to Hannants ; https://www.hannants.co.uk/

They carry a great deal of interesting things

3. build lots more models to build up a spare parts box[es]

4. buy scrap models off ebay - for spare parts

5. get your post record on here past the magic 100 so you can post in the 'Wanted' section when you need parts

You don't need to build 'pro-like' to make use of resin and vac formed parts.

My models certainly aren't

Use them for convienance

Recently I was given an Airfix Lancaster. Amongst the missing parts were the main wheels, guns and all clear parts. I got those from Hannants. Props and bombs are coming from other kits.

I have the necessaries to mould the wheels, bombs, etcetera and a vac forming machine so I could do all the clear parts, but it was quicker and handier to buy the parts already made, and not too expensive.

I mould and cast only when I can't really buy a ready made replacement.

OK, will have a look on hannants, thanks.

Buying a few scrap models for spare bits is a good idea.

I do have one model (1/72 FW200 Condor) which is a civilian version painted up as luftwaffe. The number of parts needed to convert to a proper luftwaffe Condor might require a proper parts supplier like hannants rather than improvisation.

The traditional means of moulding new canopies is to make a master out of wood, or any other suitable material (Milliput?).  Place it on a sheet of ply and cut a hole around it,  The hole should be wide enough to take the new part and a suitable thickness of the transparent moulding material - cellulose acetate might be better than the transparent plastic sold in sheet form..  Pin the cellulose sheet to the board, place it in an oven or under a grill.  When it softens remove from the heat and push the canopy shape through to form the replacement transparency.  Recently this has been referred to as plunge moulding.  Alternatively you can make your own vacform machine  from a box and a domestic vacuum cleaner.

As BK says. Resin moulding is easy and cheap. 2 part liquid resin and hardner for auto repairs. I've not used rubber, but I have a tub of childrens play doh, the squidgy stuff, I just plunge things like wheel halves into the doh, carefully remove, then pour in the mixed resin. Do several, to endure you have good, useable parts. Just sand when hardened.

As for the Condor, the engine cowls are a different shape, and it takes three blade props, and dual mainwheels. That's without the transparancies, although I do think Falcon do a replacement set. Again, Hannants are your friends.