Blenheim Mk 1 - 456 Sqdn (ex 54 OTU)

Michael louey

Now I've nearly cleared the deck of "committed" projects (other than one freestyle one), I'm thinking of going back to the Airfix Blenheim 1 I planned about a year ago.

The main question I have is the colour of the numeric "20" on the airframe I planning to build.

It is a 456 Squadron Blenheim in all black night fighter scheme L4907 and previously operated with 54 OTU. There is a Type A roundel next to it and the colour of the 20 is light off white. The original picture is in Fighter Nights by John Bennett on Page 40.

Are there standard colours for the OTU markings during this time scale (late 1940)? The 20 is behind the roundel on the right side. Same for the left?

Any help welcome.

Regards

Michael

As far as I know 456 never operated the Blenheim, being formed on Defiants and Moving to Beaufighters, then Mosquito. The  side Number "20" is indicative of a training command aircraft code  and not usually associated with operational squadrons. If it had been with 54 OTU it would have had "YX "codes.

They may have borrowed the aircraft for AI training at some time, probably when they moved onto beaufighters, suggesting that this aircraft was at one time a 54 OTU aircraft, but the aircraft would not have been allocated to the squadron.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Hi Selwyn,

Yes, the Blenheims were non operational. They were used as multi engine familiarisation training for the Beaufighter II's being taken up at the time (Previous aircraft were Defiants). The photo shows the airframe with a gunpack so it is possible it was also used for gunnery practice.

ADF serials lists the various Blenheims attached to RAAF squadrons. Looks like I may have misread the book (rushing) and the timeframe may be late 41.

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/blenheim.htm

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey

Hi Michael

These Blenheim were attached to 54 OTU. As you rightly point out, the pilots rotated through to familiarise themselves before transitioning to Beaufighters. Curiously, pilots have Blenheim flights noted for both January and December 1941, as well as copious Anson flights.

PR

PS I agree with you regards late 1941 date for the picture of the Blenheim. This aircraft was identified by some Squadron aircrew as one they trained on before moving on to Beaufighters (with the usual precaution here regards memory)

Edited by Peter Roberts