Bristol Britannia 1/72 Airways Vac Form

Nice to see such a rare plane in the perfect colour for one of these, that or Canadian Pacific. What yellow did you use? did you just ask for Monarch yellow?(no one here knows what Monarch airlines is)  Anyone try the email that was posted about getting one of these? Any idea on what the cost is? I don't want to email the person then get the sticker shock. There's one on ebay right now and the guy wants $400 Cdn.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

Somehow, I missed this thread. What a wonderful result with this kit. I assume that it's the kit you bought from me last year (for nowhere close to $400 Cdn, that's crazy money). You did a much better job with it than I ever could have.

20 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Nice to see such a rare plane in the perfect colour for one of these, that or Canadian Pacific. What yellow did you use? did you just ask for Monarch yellow?(no one here knows what Monarch airlines is)  Anyone try the email that was posted about getting one of these? Any idea on what the cost is? I don't want to email the person then get the sticker shock. There's one on ebay right now and the guy wants $400 Cdn.

hiya propfan,

the yellow is Tamiya Rattle can "Camel Yellow" TS 34

18 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Somehow, I missed this thread. What a wonderful result with this kit. I assume that it's the kit you bought from me last year (for nowhere close to $400 Cdn, that's crazy money). You did a much better job with it than I ever could have.

yep that was your kit,, evry much appreciated it was too!

That's the most attractive 1/72 clessic airliner I've ever seen, in all honesty.

What a beatiful display piece; I agree with the others about this being a superb paint scheme.

I must go and search for the WIP.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

hiya propfan,

the yellow is Tamiya Rattle can "Camel Yellow" TS 34

yep that was your kit,, evry much appreciated it was too!

Thanks.

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That's the most attractive 1/72 clessic airliner I've ever seen, in all honesty.

What a beatiful display piece; I agree with the others about this being a superb paint scheme.

I must go and search for the WIP.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

This and the Starliner are my top two, followed by the L-1011.

• Like 1

If anyone comes across one of these kits, let me know please, for a decent price. Click2Detail was going to start developing a 3d printed kit, but the company is gone now. I'm in touch with one of their former designers and he says he doesn't think anything came of it except for a set of landing gear that I saw pictures of.

37 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

If anyone comes across one of these kits, let me know please, for a decent price. Click2Detail was going to start developing a 3d printed kit, but the company is gone now. I'm in touch with one of their former designers and he says he doesn't think anything came of it except for a set of landing gear that I saw pictures of.

If you are just looking for something bigger than the 1/144 scale Roden or F-RSIN kits, the 1/96 FROG kit is still relatively easy and cheap to obtain in its Eastern Express guise. The level of detail is about the same as the Airways Vac-form, which basically means there is a lot of scope for scratchbuilding if you want to add an interior, detail landing gear bays, etc. There's also a couple of 1/125 Marusan Britannia's on ebay at the moment. They are kind of expensive and I'm not sure about the provenance of that kit either (update: found it - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/175674-rsl-classic-models-1125-bristol-britannia-310).

Edited by VMA131Marine

On 8/3/2017 at 3:12 PM, VMA131Marine said:

If you are just looking for something bigger than the 1/144 scale Roden or F-RSIN kits, the 1/96 FROG kit is still relatively easy and cheap to obtain in its Eastern Express guise. The level of detail is about the same as the Airways Vac-form, which basically means there is a lot of scope for scratchbuilding if you want to add an interior, detail landing gear bays, etc. There's also a couple of 1/125 Marusan Britannia's on ebay at the moment. They are kind of expensive and I'm not sure about the provenance of that kit either (update: found it - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/175674-rsl-classic-models-1125-bristol-britannia-310).

Thanks, I have the F-rsin and Eastern Express kits. The F-resin is quite nice, the Eastern one is very basic but still workable. I only saw pictures of the Marusan kit.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

6 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

how much would be reasonable to offer someone for a complete vac form kit?

hi guys,

I didnt  realise this was still getting some attention..

hiya buspropfan.. that is a vexing question, how much to offer. Of course what makes it hard is the rarity of the item and its perceived collector value. When I go looking for something like this, I think how much do I want it? how good a kit is it and how hard would it be to make up into a reasonable model? Then I have an inbuilt aversion to buying anything more than $100 AUD but that figure has crept up of late with the CPI to about $120 LOL. With mainstream kits you can get a reasonable feel of the market value looking at ebay

With vacuforms there is too little data to make a reasonable assessment. So it is really up to you to determine how much you want the item and how much you are prepared to pay.

With me I personally don't hold to "collector" value, if I have a kit I am not going to build it is just a waste of space, not something I hang on to because it is rare, I'd rather move it on to someone who really wants to BUILD iit. Because that is my personal ethos plus my aforementioned in-built $120 choke factor, I have dont have too much problem in talking a price with the desired kit's owner. I was after a Formaplane Hastings kit, these vacuforms are horrible, difficult to build things with very thin brittle plastic, I would not part with more than $40AUD  for one no matter how rare the item.

But talking about the Britannia, it was one of the better vacforms I have ever built and the finished item does look lovely, I paid $75 USD for the kit plus lots of postage for mine..the cost went to over $110 USD. It was a big gamble for me, it was over my comfort zone price and I had no idea what the quality of the kit was. Looking at it now it was worth every penny to me,

hope that helps

so, how much do you want it now that you know it is a pretty good buildable vacuform? work out your top price from there and haggle away!  good luck.. with good luck you may find a seller / modeller who would rather see the kit built than stored on dusty shelves forever

cheers

wal

3 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

hi guys,

I didnt  realise this was still getting some attention..

hiya buspropfan.. that is a vexing question, how much to offer. Of course what makes it hard is the rarity of the item and its perceived collector value. When I go looking for something like this, I think how much do I want it? how good a kit is it and how hard would it be to make up into a reasonable model? Then I have an inbuilt aversion to buying anything more than $100 AUD but that figure has crept up of late with the CPI to about $120 LOL. With mainstream kits you can get a reasonable feel of the market value looking at ebay

With vacuforms there is too little data to make a reasonable assessment. So it is really up to you to determine how much you want the item and how much you are prepared to pay.

With me I personally don't hold to "collector" value, if I have a kit I am not going to build it is just a waste of space, not something I hang on to because it is rare, I'd rather move it on to someone who really wants to BUILD iit. Because that is my personal ethos plus my aforementioned in-built $120 choke factor, I have dont have too much problem in talking a price with the desired kit's owner. I was after a Formaplane Hastings kit, these vacuforms are horrible, difficult to build things with very thin brittle plastic, I would not part with more than $40AUD  for one no matter how rare the item.

But talking about the Britannia, it was one of the better vacforms I have ever built and the finished item does look lovely, I paid $75 USD for the kit plus lots of postage for mine..the cost went to over $110 USD. It was a big gamble for me, it was over my comfort zone price and I had no idea what the quality of the kit was. Looking at it now it was worth every penny to me,

hope that helps

so, how much do you want it now that you know it is a pretty good buildable vacuform? work out your top price from there and haggle away!  good luck.. with good luck you may find a seller / modeller who would rather see the kit built than stored on dusty shelves forever

cheers

wal

great reasoning thanks. I'm watching one in Edmonton on evilbay, maybe I'll throw him an offer. He's asking $400 cdn, don't think I'd pay that for any model.

6 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

That Britannia on ebay sold for $300 Cdn. I offered $70, good for him. I'll keep my eyes out for another 1/72 one,no hurry.

wow, so I wonder, will it be built, or will it languish on a dusty shelf? If the latter then it might as well be a box full of sprue cuttings

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, myself, I have always thought British airliners are some of the most gracious and beautiful machines ever to take flight and your build has kept up with that feeling.

Very nice indeed.

I am building my first Vac Form and it is not easy but I am getting there, this makes your build all the more special for me.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, wallyinoz said:

wow, so I wonder, will it be built, or will it languish on a dusty shelf? If the latter then it might as well be a box full of sprue cuttings

very expensive dust collector. I have a whole pile of dust collectors, but they do have a purpose. Well except for a couple.

• 2 weeks later...

Superb built.

Large though they often are, I love airliners in 1/72!

I'm not the complete modeller, having never built a vac-form, but I know enough to say your finished plane is a fine tribute to your skill and patience.

:clap: