Bristol Britannia 1/72 Airways Vac Form

Funny thing about the Britannia, I always thought it was an ugly aircraft. I saw them twice in Australia, once as a teen a British Eagle example overflew us on the Geelong road as it was on short final at Avalon airport then many years later as an ATC at RAAF Pearce when a RAF example paid  a visit.. Then I saw G-AOVF at Duxford and I thought it is not ugly, not pretty but "handsome" as one might describe a slightly imperfectly proportioned female face. Then I saw the RAF example at the RAF base whose name eludes me and I was hooked, I had to get me a model, in 1/72 a hard to find vacform is the only game in town.

I still have to do the nav lights on this and blow me down if one of the HF aerials didnt pop out of the fuselage which needs to be repaired. It will not fit in my cabinet on its wheels I will have to make a stand for it and put it in a slightly banked position to make it fit.

33048212905_113282ea18_o.jpg1P4A0096 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

33048213805_4c326365f2_o.jpg1P4A0091 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

32202894804_5b0d81116a_o.jpg1P4A0083 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

33048214125_9b69709a1b_o.jpg1P4A0097 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

oh I have to do the prominent pitots as well !

• Like 65

4 hours ago, kev67 said:

Very nice, or should I say extremely nice, considering its a vac form as well, it's a huge kit as I have one up in the loft, although I would probably do mine in a British Eagle scheme 

Well done 

hello Kevin,

thanks for the "tick" but my work pales in comparison to your lovely Varsity and Vanguard builds. When I first saw your Vanguard I searched to the net to try and find one........ say you wouldn't know where I could get hold of one do you?

John ,Steve,  Britman and Britboy (now that must be a dynamic duo!) thanks for your kind comments

cheers

wal

• Like 1

What a beautiful job you have done there,absolutely gorgeous. I built this kit myself in Monarch livery about 25 yrs ago so can well appreciate the effort that went in to this one, Superb!                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.                     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

hello Kevin,

thanks for the "tick" but my work pales in comparison to your lovely Varsity and Vanguard builds. When I first saw your Vanguard I searched to the net to try and find one........ say you wouldn't know where I could get hold of one do you?

John ,Steve,  Britman and Britboy (now that must be a dynamic duo!) thanks for your kind comments

cheers

wal

Hi Wal

The only contact detail I have is this, but I believe that he might be retired and no longer produces these kits but worth asking anyway

[email protected]

Kev

• Like 1

That's very good like the Silver/NMF look. I know what you mean about the Brit as far as looks go. For me it's the cockpit window frames and too many panes that don't go all the way down to the nose skin which is to do with the Pressure Bulkhead shape, bit like the Il18's set up. The  CL44 latter improved on the Brit/Yukon look

Good old Monarch, I did nearly a week on Brits there in 1973 and again in 1978 on a 720B ,your 'OVT was one of them. It was a funny (Ha, ha ! ) place to work though back then.

Great job, well done and thanks for showing. BTW that RAF Brit you saw was at RAF Kemble or Cotswold Airport as its now called, Gloucestershire. Think that one came from Cuba. I was in the RAF with one of the main guys there and was in contact with him on FB an hour ago !.

List of stored 'planes there.

http://www.airportspotting.com/storage-lists/kemble-uk/

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Hello,Wally - At one time, you maybe thought the 'Britannia' was an ugly duckling somewhat.

Not me.I see a very beautiful swan in your magnificently built and finished build of this classic airliner.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work.I'm an admirer of your builds and this is no exception.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Very well done with this one, the finish is superbly neat and accurate. I remember when Michael, who also has just posted his two models (little and large 1/44 & 1/72) built his big one, the cutting and trimming of all the parts was a mishion! Your model is great to look at, now every one will want one!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Britman said:

I  guess nobody likes Brits much Wally! 

w-e-e-ll it aint no Spitfire or pointy fast grey thing or harbringer of death and destruction :smile:

thanks for all your comments and likes guys.... now I am hankering for a VC-10, or a Vanguard, keep your ears out on the ground for me guys please  if you know of any vacforms lying dusty and unloved anywhere!

I have an AIM Comet IV to do now as well as finish a stalled DC-7C.. and finish a mundane Roden T-28