1/48 Trumpeter MiG-23BN Flogger H

1 hour ago, Wee Beastie said:

Thank you Glynn.

I love the Aries stuff, just as detailed as Eduard Brassin, but not as over-engineered (not a critism, just an observation). 

I think he's realised he forgot the Ben & Jerry's! :wink:

I agree very well detailed stuff i always look for aires resin befor a build, but he's a big fella isn't he , he isnt going to fit into no yak 28p cockpit I'll tell you...love him though..

Glynn

• Like 1

Thats quite a nose job! I didn't realise how far out the kit front end was. I wonder how these things happen.

keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

Thats quite a nose job! I didn't realise how far out the kit front end was. I wonder how these things happen.

keep up the good work. 

Thanks Don

I never knew about the nosecone shape discrepancy, until I saw the Cold War Studio's photos of their new correction set.  They showed a comparison between the kit nose, their corrected nose, and photo of the real thing. A big difference, so I decided that i'd buy one.

Cheers, Ian

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Great work, looking forward to seeing the results after the wash.

Muzz

Thanks Muzz.

Cleaned off the excess wash this morning, and ready for some weathering this afternoon. Will post up some photos later. :)

Edited by Wee Beastie

- I will receive soon  at last , two noses from CWS  ( together with one Foxbat RBT nose), I know there are changes between  versions of the 23 BN Flogger nose to the 27 but  the overall shape remain the same and if the  changes are not too difficult to modellize I'll order another one for my last duck bill Flogger  unless in the laps of time, CWS has the good idea to offer some dedicated noses......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Your Flogger is looking very good indeed, a great representation of the Cold War classic she is.

I think she looks better without the Eagle's head in standard camo and she is going to look stunning when completed.

Thank you.

I think you're right about the Eagle head, I think now it would look too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- I will receive soon  at last , two noses from CWS  ( together with one Foxbat RBT nose), I know there are changes between  versions of the 23 BN Flogger nose to the 27 but  the overall shape remain the same and if the  changes are not too difficult to modellize I'll order another one for my last duck bill Flogger  unless in the laps of time, CWS has the good idea to offer some dedicated noses......

Sounds like you've some work on your hands.  I'll be interested to know how you get on using the CWS MiG-23 nose, for doing the MiG-27.  There's not that much difference between them. A little bit of fettling, it'll look great. Good luck. :)

Edited by Wee Beastie
  • Like 1

I'm getting there.
Cleaned up the wash, and gave everything a coat of matt varnish. After that, I've did some light weathering, just a few streaks here and there, then sealed that in with another couple of coats of matt.
Started to assemble the undercarriage into the wheel bays, and fitted some of the undercarriage doors too. One pair of airbrakes have been fitted.
Also finished the crew ladder, and the pilot.

33151755690_1e2b28c0c5.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33378281822_9a07d5bbe3.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32691604314_974cfb761e.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32720767103_798ca531fb.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 4

Hi Ian.

You've done some fantastic work on the MiG. I've only just caught up with the thread and I'm impressed. The Cold War resin nose is definitely streets ahead of the kit part; well worth the investment. The additions are really nice to. It's always nice to see a bit off context for a model. 

With regards to the nose, is it a case of doing the fuselage and then loping off the nose or can you do the left and right sides separately? I'd thought it might help with clean up if they were separate items.

One other thing, I missed the decals that you used? Whose did you useHaving them break up must have ticked you off a fraction.

Can't wait to see the final unveil.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Most exellent ian super little vignette,   it's turned out  great ,can i enquire about the ladder is it ,pe ,kit scratch?,only i'm after somthing very similar for a yak 28 p im building, a mig 29 ladder is the nearest one similar to a picture I've got, cheers,

Glynn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Hi Ian.

You've done some fantastic work on the MiG. I've only just caught up with the thread and I'm impressed. The Cold War resin nose is definitely streets ahead of the kit part; well worth the investment. The additions are really nice to. It's always nice to see a bit off context for a model. 

With regards to the nose, is it a case of doing the fuselage and then loping off the nose or can you do the left and right sides separately? I'd thought it might help with clean up if they were separate items.

One other thing, I missed the decals that you used? Whose did you useHaving them break up must have ticked you off a fraction.

Can't wait to see the final unveil.

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you Mick.

I assembled the resin nose section first. Then assembled the original fuselage halves. Once the glue had dried, I cut off the original nose section, then mated the resin nose to the main fuselage.  The fit was better than expected.

The decals are the kit ones. Not had this happen with Trumpeter decals before, but I don't know how the kit was stored before being bought, as that may have had a bearing on the decals condition.

cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Most exellent ian super little vignette,   it's turned out  great ,can i enquire about the ladder is it ,pe ,kit scratch?,only i'm after somthing very similar for a yak 28 p im building, a mig 29 ladder is the nearest one similar to a picture I've got, cheers,

Glynn

Thank you Glynn

Not quite finished yet. Couple of little things to do, plus one more "major" component to come.

The ladder is made by PlusModel, and it's plastic.  They do other ladders, and the MiG-21 ladder might be best for the Yak

http://www.plusmodel.cz/karta_en.php?id=642

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wee Beastie said:

I used the kits canopy. It will be in the open position, so should look ok.

- I'm very tempted to use CSW vac canopy and open it as I use to do  as we are given two of them , that render the cut much more confortable but what I fear is the fitting and gluing  the photo-etched frames 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

- I'm very tempted to use CSW vac canopy and open it as I use to do  as we are given two of them , that render the cut much more confortable but what I fear is the fitting and gluing  the photo-etched frames 

I'm not comfortable with vac-form, hence my reason for using the kit canopy. Also, in my opinion, the CWS PE is quite thick, and would look "wrong".  Even their pictures, on the instruction sheet, didn't do it any justice. Maybe it's just me.