British Kittyhawk IV (P-40N) in desert scheme?

Sydhuey

Looking at doing a Kittyhawk IV and assumed as they were delivered to RAF and RAAF units in the Med about the time of the invasion of Italy would be in either std US OD over Neutral Grey or Dark Earth/Dark Green over Grey or Blue , the old matchbox kit had 250 Sqn in OD over N/Grey and RAAF Kittyhawk IV's I've seen were the same, I have also seen machines in a two tone scheme I assume would be Dark Green/Dark Earth, BUT ! the restored Kitty IV at the RAF museum is in a desert scheme, is there proof of this scheme ? There is reference in sqn records and aircraft deliveries of repainting the Mid Stone with Dark Green when the various Kitty units moved to Italy as the desert scheme was not suitable. thanks.     

The Kittyhawk IV entered service in 1943, so wouldn't have been delivered in DE/DG, as the scheme ceased to be used in 1941, except for bombers, though some machines delivered to the far east and India might have used it.

Aircraft delivered to units in the western hemisphere would either have been in DE/MS/Azure, or OG/DG/MSG.

A quick Goggle for Kittyhawk mkIV brings up plenty of images of desert camouflaged examples, some of which are original colour images.

Must be looking at different google to me , I have found one Kitty IV in desert scheme with 450 Sqn OK-D "No Orchids" and can confirm its in desert cam from 450 sqn history info, but just about all are in OD/grey or DE/DG with 450 and 3 Sqn RAAF, as I can confirm this one I take it the Kitty IV at the RAF museum is correct.

I read on the 3 Sqn site their Mk II's (P-40L's) were progressively repainted Dark Green over the Mid Stone when on Malta and thru Sicily till Italy and transitioned onto Kitty IV's.

Edited by Sydhuey

7 hours ago, Kit builder said:

The Kittyhawk IV entered service in 1943, so wouldn't have been delivered in DE/DG, as the scheme ceased to be used in 1941, except for bombers, though some machines delivered to the far east and India might have used it.

Aircraft delivered to units in the western hemisphere would either have been in DE/MS/Azure, or OG/DG/MSG.

A quick Goggle for Kittyhawk mkIV brings up plenty of images of desert camouflaged examples, some of which are original colour images.

Actually, the TLS, DE/DG, was promulgated as early as October 1942, in AMO A.664/42, Amendment A.1096/42, as an alternative to the DFS for fighters operating abroad. Kittyhawks operated in support of the Army, and most were re-camouflaged in the TLS before the Italian campaign.

Peter M

• Like 2

Interesting Peter: given the date this is presumably aimed more at SEAC as it is well before Operation Torch and any significant operations in non-desert conditions.  However it would provide the authorisation for later use of TLS in Italy.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

Actually, the TLS, DE/DG, was promulgated as early as October 1942, in AMO A.664/42, Amendment A.1096/42, as an alternative to the DFS for fighters operating abroad. Kittyhawks operated in support of the Army, and most were re-camouflaged in the TLS before the Italian campaign.

Peter M

Hi Peter

Actually it was promulgated in AMO A.513 in July 1941, Section 3 (ii), the notorious "Dark Green and Midstone" instead of desert scheme order! An instruction was issued by postagram on 30/10/41 which corrected that to Dark Earth and Midstone and re-emphasised TLS as an alternative for operational aircraft for service abroad. This same instruction stated that the undersurfaces for both overseas schemes was to be Azure blue. Copy of this latter order at my blog.

Regards

Nick 

• Like 1