Supermarine Spiteful F.14

4 hours ago, invidia said:

Looks great. A home brewed kit, great work.

Got a rare planes one in the stash going to do it natural metal RAuxAF 

The Rareplanes one will need considerable reworking of the tail surfaces as they are both incorrectly shaped and way too small.  The Czech resin kit that Pegasus used as a master for his Spiteful in '83 had the same errors which he carried over into his second kit and later the 48th Silver Cloud kit.

Fixing it is relatively easy - strip an Airfix F22 of it's tail surfaces and use it as a basis for conversion to a Spitfire F21.

13 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Like this one?

20161127_175550_zpsoyl7xv1y.jpg

8 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

The Rareplanes one will need considerable reworking of the tail surfaces as they are both incorrectly shaped and way too small.  The Czech resin kit that Pegasus used as a master for his Spiteful in '83 had the same errors which he carried over into his second kit and later the 48th Silver Cloud kit.

Fixing it is relatively easy - strip an Airfix F22 of it's tail surfaces and use it as a basis for conversion to a Spitfire F21.

very similer to the decals i am going to use.

I have a airfix spitfire f22 which is abit old and battered, going to be used for cockpit parts, wheels and tail planes.

• Like 1

Hi Wooksta,

Very nice build. I built the 1st Pegasus kit a long time ago. The main things I recall about it were - the really thick canopy, very thick props and radiators that needed a lot of work to open up their faces.

I did have the Rareplanes kit at one stage too, not sure if I still do.

I picked up the CMR kit a couple of years ago and plan to build it "as is". It belonged to one of our club members who passed away. He used to have 2 parallel themes to me - Spitfires and FW 190's and we used to compare our builds. Since you moulded your own kit - what's wrong with the CMR one? I have vague recollections that maybe it and the later (AZ?) kit may have nose profiles which are too slim in plan to fit a Griffon.

Cheers

Michael

10 hours ago, invidia said:

very similer to the decals i am going to use.

I have a airfix spitfire f22 which is abit old and battered, going to be used for cockpit parts, wheels and tail planes.

The decals came from my Airfix F.22/24.  This is the Trumpy 1/48 kit.

The CMR Spiteful?  Seemed too slim and frail compared to the real thing - the Pegasus kit is quite chunky by comparison - plus the cockpit internals are complete fiction.  At least CMR got the area just aft of the cockpit right.  Plus the U/C is wrong - Mustang style again - and the guns too long.

The second Pegasus kit is always the one to go for.  Nicer plastic plus white metal and decals.  You've still got to sort out the tail surfaces though.