Xtrakit Spitfire XII

After building a Mk XIV, I felt like I was on a bit of a run and decided to break open the Xtrakit Mk XII. In general, the kit went together pretty well for a limited run kit. Only a few items to address -

1. The kit supplies some wing bulges to be fitted only to some airframes (including MB882 which I built) however there are no pictures showing these at all - I left them off.

2. Two sets of wheels are supplied - covered and spoked. I saw photos of MB882 with both and I think the "covers' are only temporary when at rest - I used the spoked ones.

3. The antenna is very blobby and I got a pack from Quickboost and used one as a replacement.

4. The sky of the kit decals looks a bit dark to me but the special font/size is pretty hard to find so I just lived with the kit decals.

I experimented with a Model Master Ocean Grey compared to the Humbrol version on my Mk XIV. Looks a bit bluer in cast. Not sure which is more accurate as both seem in the ball park of my MAP chips.

Model_Photos_1206.jpg

Model_Photos_1205.jpg

Model_Photos_1207.jpg

I noticed a post on "Aces shot down by Spitfires" listed this airframe as having shot down "Bully" Lang which was quite interesting to find out. I really only chose the subject as many of the photos (and this was a well photographed airframe) were taken when flown by Don Smith a RAAF 'ace'. I always try to model an airframe with an Australian connection where possible.

Some consider the Mk XII the prettiest of all the Spitfires - Ventura uses it as their logo!

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
Postimage issues
  • Like 28

That's very nice Michael :worthy:!

Lovely paintwork. There is something about the canopy I like a lot, it just looks far better than many I've seen (and tried to fit and paint!).

Great photographs too.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

love it.  I think the Ocean Grey looks good.  I too am a XII fan and have built this kit.  I believe they are as rare as hen's teeth now.  I noticed while building it that the thrust line is somewhat different to later Griffon variants.

Very nice Spitfire! This particular airframe is on my "Spitfires To Build" list. The old "Aircam Aviation series No. 8" has great photos of MB882 so a very accurate model can be built.

To my eye this kit looks better (much more like a Mk. XII) than the Airfix 1/48 offer. The nose of the Airfix kit doesn't look "right".

Best Regards,

Antti