Minicraft Boeing 727- 200 Oil Spill Response

After seeing this aircraft fly low overhead while out with the family and then again give a great display at Farnborough last year i really wanted to try and build her in plastic! Never done anything other than an OOB build before so its also a good chance to learn some new skills and most likely give myself some headaches! The Aircraft in question is the Oil Spill Response Boeing 727-2S2F G-OSRA

32788781232_dee86e4785_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

Photo not taken by me but sourced online

She has a couple of interesting features that i will try to capture including a spraying boom mounted beneath the engines and tanks mounted inboard which hold the oil dispersant.

32127763843_8e7fdd95cf_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

Photo not taken by me but sourced online

I am using the Minicraft 727-200 F kit as the base and have also got some aftermarket Resin Wheels and Aerials (Which are not moulded into the kit)

32818299621_5e515b206e_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

32951513075_95406a3411_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

I know this kit has plenty of issues but im just going to live with them for this one and not run before i can walk!:lalala:Thanks to Skodadriver for some initial advice on kits!!

So my first job was to mark out the location of the cargo door (which i am going to try and display open to see the tanks inside). I scaled up some photos of other 727-2S2F's and had a look at what ive got!

32866588112_2e8c189a9f_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

I roughly marked out the paint stipes with some masking tape just to check the rough positioning.

32639897290_99e6d97ce7_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

The first issue i have found with the kit as that the wings appear to be mounted about 5mm to far forward!

33022058825_3edd84f693_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

Everything forward of this seems to measure up fine and also the measurements to the centre engine tally up so bit of a strange one for minicraft to get wrong!

Anyway small steps for a first hour or so of the build but looking forward to it!

BTW dont expect a quick build i make a snail look quick

Cheers

Andy

• Like 4

HI Andy,

G-OSRA is a 727 Super.

The port and starboard engines have been upgraded to JT8D-217C's whilst the centre engine remains a JT8D-17A.

To model this accurately you'll need the larger engine nacelles from Minicraft's MD-80 (or equivalent). The rest of the MD-80 kit can be used with a bra-z conversion set to make an MD-90.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

HI Andy,

G-OSRA is a 727 Super.

The port and starboard engines have been upgraded to JT8D-217C's whilst the centre engine remains a JT8D-17A.

To model this accurately you'll need the larger engine nacelles from Minicraft's MD-80 (or equivalent). The rest of the MD-80 kit can be used with a bra-z conversion set to make an MD-90.

Thanks David this is new info for me! i have not seen the term 727 super before, Is it just the engine upgrades which make it a "super"? Also what are the visual differences between the 2 types of engines? is it just the pointy reverse thruster bits (Sorry have no idea what they are called!:huh:) or are the Nacelles physically bigger/ different profile?

Hi Andy

I believe the correct term for this aircraft is a Valsan Super 27. Valsan did the conversion to standard 727's, and as far as external differences I'm only aware of the replacement of the outboard engine nacelles with MD-80 nacelles, and the deletion of the thrust reverser on the centre engine.

The MD-80 nacelle is approx 50% larger diameter than the standard 727 nacelle.

The thrust reverser isn't really noticable on the kit parts, so that just leaves the engine replacement.

Other changes to the aircraft that you can't see would be to the engine systems, control & instrumentation, plus a substantial amount of ballast up front to balance the heavier engines at the back.

I don't know where you're getting your info for the wing position from, the wing is in the same position as the airfix kit and I've not seen reference to this as an error before.

9 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I don't know where you're getting your info for the wing position from, the wing is in the same position as the airfix kit and I've not seen reference to this as an error before.

I am getting the wing position from laying the fuselage next to my scaled photo all the other features seem to line up e,g door, cargo door, vertical stabiliser, central engine but the wing seems to me to be to far fwd! Happy to be shown im being an idiot and missing something obvious (It really wouldn't be the first time)

32196455024_bae83a98db_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

all the strips are actually lined up its just the camera perspective

32659771920_064ed4d1bc_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

As for the engine's now you have said it the size difference is quite obvious! Can i live with it... not sure i can but after a quick search online it looks like it might be difficult to source a MD-80 at a sensible price! Plenty to be getting on with first though.

Thanks for the info:yes:

Andy

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anybody ever used Contrails models in the states?

Been looking for a solution for my engine issue as i can't find a Minicraft MD-80 kit anywhere. After ages looking online I stumbled on this site who do the perfect resin Valsan upgrade set. But it comes at a high price, not sure I can justify it but I really WANT it! Lol

http://www.contrailsmodels.com/Engines.html

Ha that's weird? I've never seen her before and now someone's  building her and she's flying out of Newquay airport at the moment and I saw her only yesterday whilst I was delivering fuel to RAF St Mawgan.

good luck with the build.

iain

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, Buddyboy12 said:

I have those landing gear legs lined up Jess!👍🏻 Do you know if there is a uk supplier of contrail parts or do you need to order direct from the states?

Andy

Andy, you can get the SAC legs (though designed for the Airfix kit) from Hannants.

Have you given any thoughts to decals yet?

Mike

PS Sorry, have just realised you were asking about the nacelles not the legs

Edited by FortyEighter
Correction

On 27/05/2017 at 3:57 PM, FortyEighter said:

Have you given any thoughts to decals yet?

Hi Mike, My intention at the moment is to have a go at printing them myself but as with alot of things on this build i've never tried it before, if its a complete failure ill have a rethink! :think:

Anyways as promised this is going to be a very slow build but i have actually done a little bit!

so firstly got the cargo door cut out

32240238284_e11e915f72_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

Then scratch built in a deck and bulkhead

32343363803_f8580dd704_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

32775860140_8a9b066ebe_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

33058026181_2a0746415f_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

32343362973_184a68b361_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

Then some primer went on the internals and i thought i would have a go at building the dispersant tanks. This  is what i was aiming for - 

34710002156_8d760ec997_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

33908141114_62785938b1_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

results

34710200306_a2fe59a15e_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

34588347522_42af588c19_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

34365654420_548b9e13bc_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

34636732811_e4db67a819_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

34675800621_af5596d64c_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

34422686590_c751874921_c.jpgUntitled by andrewbudd2, on Flickr

Gone for the theory that if i put lots of pics in it looks like i've done more!:worry:

Next up some internal painting and finishing of some of the tank pipework

Thanks for looking all

Andy

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

It's nice to see something a little different.

Great work on those tanks, only 5 or 6 to go!

The markings shouldn't be too difficult apart from the white tail logo. The black stripe can be masked and painted.

Are you going to thin the wings? I think they are too thick.

Cheers,

Ian