Hasegawa 1/72 MiG 29 Fulcrum Kit #00541

Hello Chaps,

It's been a while since I posted anything, but this is because my wife and I moved to a new home that we bought. With all the packing, moving, unpacking and settling in, time went by fast....6 months to be precise before I touched styrene again. Well, since the move, I still haven't found the time to create my new man-cave/modeling den in the basement, which means that airbrushing is a no go, and so, because I was getting severe withdrawals, I decided to try my hand at brush-painting some 1/72 scale kits in my stash. I chose to do 1/72 rather than my normal 1/32 or 1/48 scale for a good reason- if I screwed up with the "Hairy-Sticks", I wouldn't be too bothered about messing up a smaller and cheaper kit. Since November, I've managed to complete five 1/72 scale kits and one 1/144 scale kit and I have to say, I've had fun painting them the "old fashioned" way, I used Model Master acrylics and then oils for the weathering stage.

So, I'd like to share the first of those 6 builds and apologize for not having/finding the time to post a build log prior to this RFI post. I hope you like it...I was happy with my "Hairy Stick" results:

Image may contain: airplane

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 1 person, shoes

Image may contain: 1 person, airplane

Although I much prefer to build the larger scale kits, purely for comfort on my aging eyes and much prefer to use an airbrush, I did have fun and this was a decent little kit.

If you'd like to watch my YouTube video for this, then here is the link to that:  

Thanks in advance for any comments made, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Martin   :smile:

Edited by UKguyInUSA
Incorrect title for the content
  • Like 27

Blimey, if Hawkers had been flogging these around the world in the 50s, the Cold War would have been over before it got going!

It is a very nice Mig, and very nicely painted, even if it isn't a Seahawk!

Cheers 

Will 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Blimey, if Hawkers had been flogging these around the world in the 50s, the Cold War would have been over before it got going!

It is a very nice Mig, and very nicely painted, even if it isn't a Seahawk!

Cheers 

Will 

lmao!! Oh crap, how did I do that?! Time to edit the title! At least I know that you know your aircraft!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 9:29 PM, crushkill said:

If I could get an airbrushed model to look as good as your brush painted I'd be on cloud 9.  

Superb work man.  

Thanks Crushkill, greatly appreciated :)

PS...I don't know what type of paints you use, but when I brush paint, I use Model Masters Acrylics applied on top of Stynylrez primer. I thin my acrylics down with water to a very thin consistency, then apply a thin layer, starting from one end/side of the plane and working to the opposite end/side. By the time I've done that, where I started has had plenty of drying time to go over again with another thin layer. It generally takes two thin layers and I don't worry about any small patchy areas because I don't want my paint to be thick/dense, just as I don't when I airbrush. I then gloss clear coat, decal, seal those in with another gloss clear coat then I apply what I call a bleaching/fading oil wash which blends everything together and softens up the overall appearance of the paintwork. I then apply panel line highlighting and seal everything in with the final matte clear coat. After that has dried, i then apply the dirt, oil, fuel, grease stains/streaks and exhaust stains to finish my model.

I have to say that IMO, Model Masters acrylics are so easy to brush paint with.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Martin :)

• Like 1

Martin, that is unbelieveable, will say breathtaking. Paint brushed?? Chapeau, that`s truly a superb job.

Think it needs a lot of patience for all those multible layers of colour.

Thx for sharing

Dirk