1/72 AIRFIX HAWKER SIDDELEY DOMINIE T. MK1

16 minutes ago, adey m said:

Yes I remember that big tailplane void well Steve........I built the Airfix Hercules back in 1970 when my dad bought me it for my birthday.

It will be a tricky problem to solve with all those moulded ribs inside the fuselage...................

I'm thinking of trying to convince my "client" that it'll look better with all of the doors closed and the intake blanks in.......  At least I've just about convinced him that the early RAF colour scheme is the way to go instead of the Blue Angels scheme (for which the kit decals (US Airfix) are, to use a technical term, knackered.)

33 minutes ago, adey m said:

Another Airfix crew member has been added to the cabin operating the sextant. .............the bloody stars move a lot quicker than they did from a Varsity................

Not a very good nav is he? They'd be no discernible difference. ;)

Lovely work on a kit I never had as a lad (or since). Will be following...

• Like 1

That is looking really good Adrian, not sure that I'll got to that extent with mine but looking at yours & those posted photos, I'd rather like to though I'm guessing not much will be visible, need something in there to take away the emptiness though. It really was pretty pokey in there. :( Don't 'spose you weighed your nose weight?

Steve.

10 hours ago, stever219 said:

I'm thinking of trying to convince my "client" that it'll look better with all of the doors closed and the intake blanks in.......  At least I've just about convinced him that the early RAF colour scheme is the way to go instead of the Blue Angels scheme (for which the kit decals (US Airfix) are, to use a technical term, knackered.)

Actually Steve I have been looking at the Airfix Hercules instructions which I still have from 1970.

Because the rear part of the ramp raises up into the fuselage there will be very little of the tailplane void visible from outside with the ramp open.

A small plastic card wedge with a few ribs to correspond with the moulded ones is all that is needed.

And it most definately has to be the early RAF scheme for me too........I would love another one one day.

Adrian

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking really good Adrian, not sure that I'll got to that extent with mine but looking at yours & those posted photos, I'd rather like to though I'm guessing not much will be visible, need something in there to take away the emptiness though. It really was pretty pokey in there. :( Don't 'spose you weighed your nose weight?

Steve.

No Steve I didn't weigh the nose weight,  once it becomes sufficiently nose heavy from the main undercarriage datum point that will do for me.

You can see a certain amount of the Dominie interior when the entrance door and emergency hatch are open.

It is a funny thing this urge of mine to put interiors inside fuselages...........I do try to understand why I need to do this with a kit I am building as it certainly slows down the build and sometimes I get bored with it because of this and the model will end up being put back in its box not completed.

And yet if someone gives me a kit they have built but they no longer want it does not really bother me if they have not built an interior.

Maybe I need to get some help............

Adrian

• Like 1

resized_7527965b-703e-4570-987e-bba259a7

Here she is in her bare skin with just bits of primer where it matters. You can see where the original incorrect locations of the wing fences were and the new ones I made. I made the ailerons and the rudder move as Airfix intended. The entrance door and the emergency hatch were both an excellent fit and just clip into place.........good old Airfix. The cockpit canopy is beautifully clear with just a buffing of Mr Sheen furniture polish with a soft cloth.

The kit undercarriage legs are too thin and long........if you look back at the Humbrol issue box art you may see that the artist must have used an actual model for reference as the long and thin undercarriage legs and incorrect outer wheel hubs have been faithfully reproduced in the picture.  So you will notice the more substantial replacement front undercarriage leg which I remade. I also remade the main undercarriage legs and relocated them slightly forwards of the too far back kit location. The outer main wheels should have flush wheel hubs as they are exposed when retracted.  Also visible are the additional home-made ( I am going to use this term from now on I think instead of scratch built ) aerials and the tail navigation light as well as the rain deflector above the entrance door.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 7

Hello,Adrian - Well,my friend,here's another great model in the making.I love the attention to detail you bestow on all your projects and this superb 'Dominie' is no exception. A fine tribute to a classic kit of this classic aircraft, along with your expertise.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Excellent work! This looks like it is very much a labour of love.

Martian

Very much a labour of love Martian.

The Dominie is a real British classic from the De Havilland family, a functional yet beautiful design with so many interesting things happening on such a small airframe.

A solid and reliable workhorse.

And I love jets that have their wheels visible when retracted................

Edited by adey m

resized_fbf51edf-6e60-4973-8747-fc2883b1

Here are the remade undercarriage units which I designed to be removeable so that I can display the Dominie in flying mode when I want.

Brass pins push into holes drilled in the wings and nose bay. The two pins on the main units are to keep the units solid and stop them from turning.

Alternative retracted undercarriage parts allow the model to be displayed in flight on an Airfix stand.

• Like 3

resized_af350ad4-228d-46e4-ab34-bc57e5b2

resized_1e97a6b8-2b1f-47e9-ae2c-6c5d2f3b

resized_e42576aa-be22-4af9-b2c8-643f3b79

So here she is, Dominie T Mk1 'D' of 1 Air Navigation School on a visit to RAF Scarborough.

This model is completely hand painted by brush. Two coats of Hannants Xtra Color  X38 RAF High Speed Silver enamel overall.

Humbrol 191 Chrome Silver enamel on the leading edges.

Humbrol Gloss 209 Fire Red enamel for the Day-Glo panels.

Humbrol 22 Gloss White acrylic cabin roof. 

• Like 25

Fine build, the interior is top class, but never mind the model what about the super neat and tidy workbench! Good work.

• Like 1

Hello,RAF Scarborough from RAF Yeadon - Your meticulous attention to detail and quality of finishing work is amply demonstrated with your completed 'Dominie'. She can visit my ramp anytime.I love her.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

resized_7d7a8f55-fcbd-456b-8a08-0dd3548e

At least eight new Dominies of 1 Air Navigation School at a rain-soaked RAF Stradishall in 1967-1968.

resized_0c3b6ca9-1c81-43c8-adc2-b9c94c01

The view of a Dominie that I am so familiar with from my time travelling all over North Yorkshire with my work when on many occasions a low flying Dominie would appear overhead sounding like two Jet Provosts in close formation.

resized_b5082121-9042-4924-87ff-b72f8659

Rather like this might have been..........................

resized_9b946995-ab69-4128-9491-8b0a0876

resized_9a25c3b2-119e-4f41-aa5f-8f9faf12

The navigator is still in there sat at the sextant.

resized_8b6cce9b-9164-4688-90eb-4528d977

Preparing to depart from RAF Scarborough...........

resized_12430b04-165d-4624-8194-83ca572e

Climbing out..................

resized_c877067d-ebd7-4299-b1c9-00842bb2

resized_8d753efd-3777-4e5a-b1f7-eab92d03

Gear up......................

resized_16ba8371-6cbc-40d8-8e5a-1fc24a5a

Gear retracted and climbing at 150 knots...................

resized_dbb3bba2-882e-419f-90fb-d14d4aa5

Up we go ......................

resized_25155503-334d-4b33-a875-d6d79cf8

resized_e858f536-0221-43d0-a130-47bb9b7d

And on our way.........................

Edited by adey m
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1