Manston 70,s

Britman

14 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Great pics....the Dan Dare Comet and the Courtline 125 take me back. Ah, nostalgia!

Ex-Dan employee and very proud! A great operation and employer.

Martin

Great photos there. what was Laker's Skytrain doing there ? Circuits ? Courtline 125,brilliant as is the Nordic Electra on max nose wheel steering. Was Air ferry still going in the 70s? I wasn't expecting photos of them. Nice collection, thanks for showing.

Guilty m,lud, the Air Ferry are a bit earlier around about 68 I would say. The Comet if I remember rightly had a working party up from DanAir after she let herself down by noseing gently onto the runway. I think this is after removal from Invicta ' s hanger and departure for further work. The Islander for "fast" parts delivery was I replaced by Dh Dove for a short while after which a nice new Cessna Titan turned up. The Shacks I think were parked for a while awaiting scrap or the fire school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Britman said:

The Comet if I remember rightly had a working party up from DanAir after she let herself down by noseing gently onto the runway.

Yep, using the foam runway which was a blessing for many at that time who found themselves with only two greens! 

As an aside, the Comets were great to fly on - stable and oozed power (of the time). Apart from a more recent trip on an AN-24 i havent had curtained windows on any airliner i've flown on. I was fortunate to get many flight deck trips - to Clermont Ferrand, Athens, Bodo and other places. The crews we had were predominantly ex 216sqn and the fleet was run by Don Warburton like it was still part of the air  force ;). He was, like many at that time,  actually a wartime pilot as I recall, having flown 140+ types including Mustangs out of Sumburgh.

great memories ;).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added text
  • Like 3

I remember those days only too well.

The Shacks were in for dismantling and the fire dump. Seem to remember a whole squadron of tail draggers coming in for scrapping.

Dick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yep, using the foam runway which was a blessing for many at that time who found themselves with only two greens! 

As an aside, the Comets were great to fly on - stable and oozed power (of the time). Apart from a more recent trip on an AN-24 i havent had curtained windows on any airliner i've flown on. I was fortunate to get many flight deck trips - to Clermont Ferrand, Athens, Bodo and other places. The crews we had were predominantly ex 216sqn and the fleet was run by Don Warburton like it was still part of the air  force ;). He was, like many at that time,  actually a wartime pilot as I recall, having flown 140+ types including Mustangs out of Sumburgh.

great memories ;).

Martin

I remember that it was shown on the news. think it was a weekend, laid foam along the runway and he just lowered the nose. Manston was an MDA then.

And now the place is shut to flying............:jump_fire:  :angry:

Dick

Sorry rant over  :bear:

Edited by jenko

• 6 years later...

And now Manston is to reopen at last with a £500 million investment for airfreight and later a new passenger terminal. Wheels on the runway 2026. It has been a long and painful legal road since closure but on the plus side helicopter operations have kept the airspace busy and due to the generosity of the owners Riveroak we have seen two charity fly ins this year with over eighty light aircraft attending.

Keith 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...