At the shop the other day getting paint for my other build in this GB, I bought this thing on a whim. Kind of the opposite of the Warpac forces, who definitely didn't buy this on a whim. They had thousands of them through the 60s, 70s and into the 80s.

Haven't started yet but here is what comes in the box.

[edit] unfortunately my friend's server I hosted the pics on died, so there aren't any until right towards the end

20170220_211753.jpg

20170220_212016.jpg

20170220_211954.jpg

20170220_212041.jpg

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 4

That looks like a nice kit! Not sure about the tracks though - could be interesting! I'm sure Sarge will be along soon and may know if they are any good or not. I haven't built a Trumpeter kit.

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

It certainly looks as if it should be a fun project. No idea how accurate the kit is but given the company reputation for their aircraft kits it may be best to not look hard at any photos ;) 

That's true but on the other hand I've always enjoyed the Trumpy kits I've built. I recently finished the 1/72 F-105D and did it in the silver scheme even though I learned that the airframe had the features of the later schemes only. It looks awesome to me and you really need to know your stuff to identify what's wrong with it.

I feel like the majority of their kits are actually pretty acceptable to the average builder. If I'd been a pilot of a 105 or something I could imagine being disappointed but I just wanted one on my shelf! :D

Having looked more closely at this tank kit, I think it properly belongs in the Italeri category of kits that are best used in wargaming. It's pretty simple, especially the bulldozer blade!

• Like 1

i started my tank tonight and realized why I don't really build tanks. Man, that single tank has more wheels than an entire train. I finally finished painting all the wheels and then looked in the box. Boom! Another identical sprue with another million wheels on it.

My work was broken by putting my baby girl back to sleep. Somehow, when coming back, I managed to paint the second set of sprues a slightly different shade of green. Doesn't matter: the two are very close and a second coat of paint will be needed on everything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

i started my tank tonight and realized why I don't really build tanks. Man, that single tank has more wheels than an entire train. I finally finished painting all the wheels and then looked in the box. Boom! Another identical sprue with another million wheels on it.

My work was broken by putting my baby girl back to sleep. Somehow, when coming back, I managed to paint the second set of sprues a slightly different shade of green. Doesn't matter: the two are very close and a second coat of paint will be needed on everything.

I have done v few tanks but you have my sympathy.  

Dave

• Like 1

On 23/02/2017 at 3:23 PM, bianfuxia said:

A cautionary tale for those of us thinking about a tank as a quick-build option :blink: 

Did you go for a different tin of paint or keep to the same one? In the latter case it may have settled and needed another stir to distribute its pigment.

I dunno, this fatherhood stuff has prompted a lot of pretty embarrassing tiredness related incidents...most days I consider it an achievement if I get to the office wearing everything I should be wearing, haha 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I found a bit of time tonight to work on the T-55. The brown on the wheels isn't glossy as in the pic, which is taken on cellphone under a bright light. It's my experiment in weathering. Too much on the wheels but the body looks ok. It's just Vallejo flat earth dabbed on with  a dry brush.

• 2 weeks later...

Well tonight I made some solid progress. Finished building the tank, and touched up all the bits that needed it. One piece is missing, a big clunky box from the front sloped face of the tank. It flew off when I tried to clamp the hull together and I can't find it.

The soldiers in one of the photos are the guys I'm contemplating using in some kind of diorama/scene. I checked and they are about right for the 70s, based on their weapons. They are ESCI/Italeri "modern" US soldiers but the set came out in the 80s apparently.

20170319_220558_resized.jpg

Next steps are more touching up and then try to do some kind of weathering.

20170319_220607_resized.jpg

20170319_220642_resized.jpg

As always sorry for the cell phone pics but it's all I have time for - emailing them to myself & uploading them then posting them here is the fastest system I can think of.

The idea I think I have is that there is this squad who are trying to take out tanks with that rocket launcher (it's a Dragon) and then they're kind of surprised when this tank comes barging past right by their position, too close to launch. I just need to work out how I can do the scene. I might even do it outside in the garden, with a careful photo angle it could work without me having to build a whole scene.

• Like 2

On that does anyone happen to know what colour their clothes should be? From what i could discover online, it should be a single shade of green for the 1970s, as the woodland multicam kind of suits only came in during the 80s?

Without spending ages researching it does anyone know?

thanks!

Good to see more progress. Shame about the tracks but you can always disguise them with whatever you include on your scenic base. ;) Looking forward to more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately my friend's server where I hosted all my images died the other day, so it appears all my photos are gone.

So anyway, my tank is almost finished. It just needs a bit of dirtying up and maybe a number on the turret. Meanwhile, after the advice that my Italeri US soldiers were 1980s+ and therefore not to be found on our GB battlefields, I found my older Esci NATO soldiers. They have SLRs or FN-FALs so they can be British or some other European NATO country's troops. 

So here is my rough idea for a simple display.

These guys are commandos who, judging by most of them not wearing helmets, weren't quite expecting a T-55 in this urban setting. I'm not sure if they were in fact caught unawares and had to turn tail and run back down the street, as seen here, before huddling together to get ready, or if I will remove the running guy. Either way I guess they are huddled there ready to race across the road behind the tank.

I don't know anything about what I am talking about so if it's stupid, well, it's stupid. I think the little squad looks good though.

20170511_213816_resized.jpg

20170511_213908_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your photo-hosting site dropping out. These new photos looks interesting though and I like the direction your diorama idea is taking.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work on the T-55. If you continue with the overall scene please pop a picture up or link to the finished article once it's done ;)