новгород (Novgorod)One of the world's worst warships

Aginvicta

Instead of just gluing the Funnel Stays and Main mast stays to the deck I wanted to have something that looked more realistic. I thought about making some rigging end plates using some of the P.E frame with a hole drilled in it, but before I started this I found some “Eye” plates on a Gold Medal P.E. set I have for the Borodino kit that is waiting to be built. A small hole was drilled in 14 locations on the main deck and then the “Eye” plates were fitted. I had previously sprayed them with white primer and I am going to leave them white until after I finish the rigging so that I can see them easier. I cut out the holes on the side decks for the Ventilators and then glued them in place and I also glued the Wheelhouse in place. It’s looking even more like a spaceship now that it’s had “wings “ attached. I will add some 0.5mm diameter wire under the decks as supports because at the moment they are floating in mid air.

a40bb4cb-4bd1-4895-948e-930d35aa13ba_zps

NovgorodC8_zpssbpqiwox.jpg

0426c18b-19da-44b3-8d3d-d4e702c06498_zps

ae259f8a-36f0-4e18-811f-fc3d4fdfe5a2_zps

2b2db1a8-677d-4a65-ae00-912a5b8883e5_zps

240566d2-ef85-4a6c-ada1-d38adca93ad5_zps

7d248e1a-486e-4469-ac7c-06986762f4d5_zps

309ca816-3920-480d-8757-682c80161c44_zps

Cheers Andy

• Like 6

I have just discovered that Dougal, Florance and Zebadee have cleared off to Augusta, Georgia to watch the golf, and have left Brian to supervise Dylon, who has been doing some of the construction work, hence this week has been at a snail’s pace. The two gun chassis were cleaned up and painted a darker grey, the 2 barrels were painted matt black and then glued to the chassis. The two assemblies were then glued in place On any colour picture I have seen of  Russian ships from this era, the inside of the Ventilators is red, so I decided to paint the insides of the Ventilators red. The 4 Ventilators that fit along the side decks were dry fitted and each one had minor adjustments to them until I was happy with the fit. The main problem was that they all had to be the same height. Trying to get them all the same height left me with the well known “table leg” problem, I got them level (ish) before I ran out of Ventilator shaft. Any photos I take will be at an angle so you can’t notice anything. The two funnels were cleaned up and again the same problem occurred getting them the same height. The insides and lip round the top were painted matt black, and the rest the same dark grey that I am using for the vertical surfaces. Holes were drilled in the bottom of each Funnel and a metal pin glued in. I drilled a hole in the side deck into the lower Funnel base and then glued the Funnels in place. I have got one of the side deck supports fitted, this was great fun gradually filing down a piece of 0.75mm diameter brass wire until it fitted and trying to stop it bending. I am now going to spend the evening seeing if I can spot Dougal, Florance and Zebadee at the golf. BTW my hound Archie has now taken over as supervisor of this build so things my speed up a bit.

NovgorodD2_zpsrlqwro2w.jpg

NovgorodD12_zpspznpgq1x.jpg

NovgorodD10_zpsvu9skszu.jpg

93ece55d-3c38-4f9c-8fd6-28c62f88beaa_zps

e76ee71e-6daa-472b-9e99-ec62cb8b7262_zps

4f9939ff-435a-4de3-9ca7-5f0f26cc3a95_zps

ecd27722-e245-45a5-b878-8e71d8984433_zps

2b5d795f-3aad-4dac-9861-6a74b5ea68f5_zps

7d7cec38-1cd8-4c13-aaf1-38a5ae8a78cb_zps

ab7a30f4-9b6b-4033-ab73-009cd65d38d4_zps

Cheers Andy

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A major problem that I have with this build is that there are no instructions to follow, just a couple of photos of the finished ship. I therefore have to work out what parts to fit and in what order, which often means that I have to sit there and study the ship and decide if I fit part A, will I be able to fit part B, or would it be better to fit part C first. I can’t fit the Lifeboats until I have fitted the Mast and Funnel Stays because some of the Stays are fitted to the deck between the Lifeboats and the Superstructure. I can’t fit the Stays until I have fitted the deck railings, so more planning being done than actual building work. The Ladder from the deck up to the Wheelhouse deck should fit between the Wheelhouse and the main gun area. I dry fitted a Lifeboat and found it would be in the way of the Ladder. I decided to fit the Ladder further down the deck towards the stern. The next day when I looked at it, it didn’t look right, so I tried fitting it where it should go, if I fit the Lifeboat at a slight angle it should fit without hitting the Ladder. All the railings come in long strips and need cutting to size. I carefully measured the side decks, cut the railing to size, bent them in the correct places, and then glued them, first with PVA to give me time for any small adjustments, and then finally fixed with CA gel. The two small Ventilators were cleaned up and, with the table leg problem, carefully made the same length. They were glued in place alongside the Wheelhouse deck. Finally I fitted 3  P.E. end plates to each Funnel making sure they were in line with the end plates I had already fitted to the deck.

9eb7c30f-9975-445e-a0ab-a7acaa3a35a4_zps

731f2e82-3a67-4db7-a2ac-c04d92445c73_zps

2cc583b6-a776-4e50-8401-828312a28da2_zps

85037cda-0453-4e8f-baf2-0dea5265598e_zps

Cheers Andy

• Like 3

Looks like you're wrestling this into shape bit by bit! Great work!

Just be careful you don't throw it like a frisbee in a fit of rage! 

Geoff 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading a build log, can’t remember if it was a ship or an aircraft, where the builder had used 20 denier nylon thread. I ordered a reel from a Fly Fishing website and decided to use it on the Frisbee. I started with the Funnel stays. Talk about trying to get a camel through the eye of a needle, I had a couple of end plates where the hole was blocked by paint, the point of a new scalpel blade helped, and one end plate came loose. But eventually I had the 6 stays rigged. A touch of C.A. gel secured the knots and then the ends were trimmed.

The railings on the Wheelhouse deck were next on the list. I was able to use on length of railing but it needed careful measurement and folding to get the correct shape. This all took quite a while, I couldn’t use my P.E. bending tool because of the different folds that were needed, so I had to use some flat ended tweezers, this took longer and needed constant checking, at least the etch is not too fragile and can be bent both ways several times. I started at the out board end of the deck using PVA to position the railing, gradually working my way round the deck and then once I was happy with the fit, it was secured with C.A. gel.

I worked out that I had enough 3 bar railing left to fit round the front deck. I cut the railing in half and then using the handle of my scalpel rolled it along the railing on my cutting mat so that I got a nice even curve. Plenty of dry fitting and I soon had the railing matching the curve of the deck. Again using PVA to hold the railing in place and giving me enough time for any fine adjustments, it was then fastened with C.A. gel. This was then repeated for the other side of the deck leaving room for the ladder that comes up from the front lower deck.

The mast comes in 2 resin parts and needs to be glued end to end. There is no way I was going to accurately glue two 1mm diameter resin lengths together so I used some 1mm diameter brass wire instead. The mast was glued into a hole I had drilled earlier making sure it was vertical. I tied 2 lengths of Nylon thread half way up the mast and the 4 ends were then tied to the end plates on the decks before being secured with C.A.

gel. I’ve made a start on the railings for the Wheelhouse roof, no pictures yet, this will take some time because the gaps between the railing posts don’t match the roof lengths so I am going to have to do some careful cutting and gluing to get railings the correct length

NovgorodF3_zpstcle5ht3.jpg

NovgorodF2_zpshxiqmejb.jpg

37ebe1bd-ca4a-442b-9589-21540d8ea2d3_zps

NovgorodF6_zpsssdnh0tn.jpg

NovgorodF7_zpswuuumrkn.jpg

1f108f75-15b3-4863-8fb0-6560ec99901d_zps

295b78f3-cebb-499d-9076-81af40a56eab_zps

58f0cf26-6d63-4bdf-895f-efc5071de2f0_zps

• Like 5

The railings on top of the Wheelhouse are now completed, it took some careful measuring and cutting because the support post spacing were the wrong distances. I decided to fit the flag next. Rather than just wrapping it around the top of the mast I thought I would fly it like a proper flag. I cut the flag out, I think it’s a waterslide decal but I didn’t fancy trying to get the two sides lined up, folded it half and glued some nylon thread inside the fold. I used the back of a scalpel blade to “curl” the flag up a bit. I tied the top part of the flag (hoist?) to the mast ok but had no end of fun (?) trying to get the bottom end of the thread tied to the base of the mast. Having spent the best part of an evening doing this you can hardly see it.

I finished painting the 2 Lifeboats and glued them in place. I am in the middle of painting the 2 Steam launches. When I painted the main deck with primer I accidentally dislodged one of the mounting brackets for a Steam Launch and couldn’t find it. I cut some P.E. fret to size and filed the cut out. It’s not exactly like the other mounts but once it has a Steam Launch on it no one will notice.

I have started to fit the railings that go round the edge of the ship. Using the handle of a scalpel to roll over the railing on my cutting mat to curve the railing, I soon had the correct curve. I have one railing fitted, and one partly fitted. The picture of the completed ship shows the 2 Anchors just sitting on the front of the deck. This to me looks a bit strange so I found some chain in a wooden deck pack I have for the Borodino that’s waiting to be built. I opened up a link on the chain and it fitted nicely in the hole on the Anchor, it was glued and the 6 links that are needed were painted black. I will fit them once the railings are finished. I am going to give the decks a coat of varnish to hid the numerous glue marks that show up and then fit the propellers, all 6 of them. I have them all made, remembering to angle the blades on 3 of them the opposite way to the other 3, and gluing on the small conical bits that go on Propellers. Hopefully by the end of the week you might see the finished ship in the RFI.

dfbb372c-ba04-475e-90f2-3abe6f13f111_zps

b311812b-3a62-4664-a057-7fce63263aeb_zps

b7dc5802-8ad1-4488-816a-519c82dcd4da_zps

a7a9f299-156c-4194-9cbc-598174a43b5b_zps

c6c74af2-4d2b-4fca-8643-ae0f3d34f93b_zps

cf40910e-8425-4464-8d2b-7a5859c04e26_zps

• Like 8

Looking ever better! I like the idea of rolling the railings. I hadn't thought of that before.

Martian Continuing to be Impressed

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I like the idea of rolling the railings. I hadn't thought of that before.

You can do the same to preform plastic.

Cutting mat is an ideal surface, the smaller diameter tool you use to roll the tighter the curl

Kev the trying to be helpful :wink:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, longshanks said:

You can do the same to preform plastic.

Cutting mat is an ideal surface, the smaller diameter tool you use to roll the tighter the curl

Kev the trying to be helpful :wink:

I have often done this with plastic. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do it with brass.

Martian Not Firing on all Cylinders

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking ever better! I like the idea of rolling the railings. I hadn't thought of that before.

Martian Continuing to be Impressed

I got the idea from a build log somewhere, and I have seen it used to make gun barrels on card models,

Andy Pinching Ideas from other Builders

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This "ship" looks like an upside down UFO. This was an interesting read, thanks for sharing this, I will follow along wih this weird ship's path.

• Like 1