новгород (Novgorod)One of the world's worst warships

Aginvicta

In 1868 Scottish ship builder John Elder suggested that widening the beam of a ship would reduce the area needed to be protected, allowing it to carry thicker armour and heavier, more powerful guns, and also have a shallower draught. Rear Admiral Andrei Alexandrovich Popov of the Imperial Russian Navy expanded on this idea of broadening a ship by designing one that was circular with a flat bottomed hull. Novgorod was built in 1871, had a diameter of 101 feet, a draught of 13.5 feet, displaced 2531 tons and a crew of 151 officers and ratings. The ship had 6 steam engines, each driving a single propeller, with a speed of about 6 knots, but consumed huge amounts of coal, 200 tons of coal gave about 480 miles steaming. Steering was a problem, the hull shape meant that the rudder was virtually useless, it was locked and the engines were used to steer the ship. Novgorod was armed with 2 20-calibre 11 inch rifled muzzle loading guns mounted on separate revolving turntables, which could be locked together. It could take about 10 minutes to reload each gun. The locks on the turntables were weak causing them to rotate when a gun was fired, leading to the myth that the whole ship rotated when a gun fired. During the Russo-Turkish war she was assigned to the defence of Odessa where she was fitted with extra guns. Novgorod was taken off the navy list in 1903 and scrapped in 1911. She has often been called one of the world’s worst warships.

This model kit by Ropos is in 1/350 scale and is resin and photo etch. The resin is well cast, with good detail and only small pouring plugs. The instructions are just a few colour pictures which are not very clear, but it’s fairly obvious where all the parts go.

NovgorodA1_zps6vpwjbjz.jpg

NovgorodA2_zpspksx51a1.jpg

NovgorodA3_zpsrsds1z2b.jpg

• Like 12

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I have this in 1/700 scale, I didn't know it was available in this scale as well. Very interested!

Martian

5 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

That looks like a terrible ship, but a great model! Will be watching this build up.

Geoff 

On 20/02/2017 at 1:05 AM, EJS said:

Now, that is one unusual ship.

Will be following this one for sure.

Welcome aboard, but hold on, if this starts to spin it will be like being stuck on a roundabout in the playpark.

Martian, why am I not surprised you have a version of this ship. It will go with your pancake plane, do you have a round car kit as well? :D This is only about 10cm diameter, the 1/700 version must be very small,

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

There was a nice and impressive model of a circular vessel - not sure which - in the Glasgow Transport Museum when it was in the Kelvin Hall. Maybe in the new Clydesite building too?

Edited by clipper
correction
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In case some of you were wondering I haven’t forgotten about the Magic Roundabout, sorry Novgorod. The weather here lately has either been freezing cold or pouring with rain, so when I have managed to get out to the shed to put some primer or paint on, it’s taken ages for it to dry and harden. The main problem I have had is trying to work out what colours this ship should be. The only thing I know for certain is that the hull was covered in copper sheathing, so a trip to Halfords resulted in a can of Vauxhall copper spray paint appearing at my shed. Any photo that I have found are black and white and seem to show the ship being grey overall. There are several models, but they are all different colour schemes, so I suppose I could choose a colour scheme and no one would be any the wiser. I have decided that I will the hull above the waterline black, top surfaces grey, ventilators grey and white funnels, with wooden decks on the bridge and walkways. The lifeboats have been sprayed with Halfords white primer and the insides painted with Humbrol tan. I am going to add some more detail to the lifeboats later. The rest of the ship parts and the photo etch were sprayed with Halfords grey primer. Leaving this for a week or so, I then fitted the rudder, and like the original, this was stuck in position to stop it moving. The hull was then sprayed with a couple of coats of the Vauxhall copper. I painted the above waterline hull with Tamiya matt black and once this was dry, the two hull pieces were glued together with Araldite, clamped and left for a couple of days. What is good about this kit is that you get a stand, I drilled a 2mm hole right through it and then sprayed it matt black. I had already drilled a 2mm hole in the hull as well and once the paint was dry and hardened I glued 2mm diameter brass wire to the hull. Once this is dry I will then attach the stand to the hull using the brass wire for extra support. The pictures show the ship just sitting on the stand at the moment. I am heading back to Kent next week so I will have a hunt through my Father’s shed for a piece of wood that I can attach the stand to, he has more bits of wood stashed away then you can find in Sherwood Forest.

b8802362-2116-415e-a52c-2f78f7a3f7a8_zps

4b6de5ef-f3e1-44a0-ac3e-6fff8d51af93_zps

cfe2698f-dd10-4570-96fa-3e1a3e797366_zps

Cheers Andy

• Like 6

On 21/02/2017 at 0:25 AM, Martian Hale said:

I have this in 1/700 scale, I didn't know it was available in this scale as well. Very interested!

Martian

Good God Martin, is there anything unusual, fanciful or downright non existent that you don't have a model of?

Aginvictor, "the magic roundabout" - most apporpriate! And looking good, too. How some of these ideas ever got beyond the "what if we .... " stage defeats me. I'll hang around to see how this one turns around if you don't mind.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

IOnce this is dry I will then attach the stand to the hull using the brass wire for extra support. The pictures show the ship just sitting on the stand at the moment. I am heading back to Kent next week so I will have a hunt through my Father’s shed for a piece of wood that I can attach the stand to, he has more bits of wood stashed away then you can find in Sherwood Forest.

Your father was clearly brought up the same way as my parents - don't throw that away, it'll come in useful one day!

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, clipper said:

There was a nice and impressive model of a circular vessel - not sure which - in the Glasgow Transport Museum when it was in the Kelvin Hall. Maybe in the new Clydesite building too?

Found it Livadia 

http://collections.glasgowmuseums.com/starobject.html?oid=29308

and then if you put the name (ship+Livadia) into Google images, you get this selection https://goo.gl/lMI7yv  - and note there seems to be a very nice paper kit to download, etc from Walden models - with a very comprehensive description of her - for USD27.50, here https://goo.gl/f3VAvw  !

T_1966_10_d_%5B1%5D_01_S.jpgLiv_003.jpg

Edited by clipper
additions
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

Good God Martin, is there anything unusual, fanciful or downright non existent that you don't have a model of?

Not knowingly, although Sci-Fi is not usually my cup of tea. I do have a Vanship on the way from Japan though, although that is very much General Melchett's fault following his article in Airfix Modelworld.

Martian the Sensible (well as in Captain Sensible)

Just now, Martian Hale said:

Not knowingly, although Sci-Fi is not usually my cup of tea. I do have a Vanship on the way from Japan though, although that is very much General Melchett's fault following his article in Airfix Modelworld.

Martian the Sensible (well as in Captain Sensible)

Captain,

By weird coincidence my copy of AMW is folded open at that construction. I suspect the General won't mind the blame being laid upon his shoulders!

• Like 1

Just now, Whofan said:

Captain,

By weird coincidence my copy of AMW is folded open at that construction. I suspect the General won't mind the blame being laid upon his shoulders!

Its not the first time his ravings have led me astray and I strongly suspect it won't be the last! Well, not unless he suffers an outbreak of sanity, in which case I shall assume the entire world has gone bonkers and retire to Mars!

Martian

:hmmm:

Captain Sensible roaring around the country lanes of Dorset in/on/around a Vanship ..........

Although your reputation precedes you I, it's probably not at that speed.

I feel the Yokels should be advised to take cover.

Of course you could always go in disguise and put your sensible hat on :rofl:

Kev

Sorry Andy, can we please have some more of your carousel roundabout  fine vessels build....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

Just leave it as is and post it as complete under 'science fiction'.  😀

(Nice modelling by the way)

Funny you should say this, as I was looking at these pictures I was expecting either Flash Gordon or Zaphod Beeblebrox to make an appearance.

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

Aginvictor, "the magic roundabout" - most apporpriate! And looking good, too. How some of these ideas ever got beyond the "what if we .... " stage defeats me. I'll hang around to see how this one turns around if you don't mind.

I think the idea for this must of happened on 1st April, whilst waiting for their Samovar to boil, and downing a few Vodkas, one member of the design team must have said "how about this one for a laugh".

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

Your father was clearly brought up the same way as my parents - don't throw that away, it'll come in useful one day!

My Father, the son of a Yorkshire coal miner, was brought up to keep everything and anything. His garage has stuff in it that Steptoe and Son had rejected. :D

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Sorry Andy, can we please have some more of your carousel roundabout  fine vessels build....

Kev, you might have to wait a week or so for the next update. I now have this image of a round van trundling around the Dorset area playing The Damned songs at high volume.

Cheers Andy

• Like 3

18 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:

Captain Sensible roaring around the country lanes of Dorset in/on/around a Vanship ..........

Although your reputation precedes you I, it's probably not at that speed.

I feel the Yokels should be advised to take cover.

Of course you could always go in disguise and put your sensible hat on :rofl:

Kev

I can't put my sensible hat on. I got rid of it on your instructions; remember?

16 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

I now have this image of a round van trundling around the Dorset area playing The Damned songs at high volume.

Not too far from the truth. On sunny days, Sarah-Jane, the TR7, with the hood down and punk music being played, is quite a common occurrence.

Martian

• Like 1

What a bizarre little tub. It seems rather obvious that it would be a dreadful vessel from a seaworthiness perspective. Unlike aeroplanes, the shapes of boats and ships and what made a good or bad vessel was fairly well understood from hundreds of years of trial and error and refinement.

It's a fascinating modelling subject all the same though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, SovereignHobbies said:

What a bizarre little tub. It seems rather obvious that it would be a dreadful vessel from a seaworthiness perspective. Unlike aeroplanes, the shapes of boats and ships and what made a good or bad vessel was fairly well understood from hundreds of years of trial and error and refinement.

It's a fascinating modelling subject all the same though.

According to reports it made a good stable gun platform, but the handling was awful. There is a story that it got caught in a strong current on the River Dniepr and the ship was sent spinning out of control down the river and out to sea leaving the crew dizzy and sick.

• Like 1

I have now returned from my week long trip home to the Garden of England. I am still recovering from the drive back on Sunday night to catch the Monday morning ferry from Cairnryan in Scotland. I got held up on the M25/M40 with the traffic coming from the England game at Wembley, the M6 was closed at Birmingham meaning a detour through Walsall, closed at Manchester, a detour along the M62 and then up the M61. Nightmare!

I managed to get some more done to Novgorod whilst I was away. The kit itself is a little basic so I have decided to add a few extra details to make it look a bit more realistic. I thought the Wheelhouse decks and the two decks by the funnels would look better with a planked deck. I had some left over 1/350 scale Artwox wooden deck which would fit nicely. I started off by tracing round the two side decks onto some paper and then cutting the shapes out. I trimmed the paper down until it fitted onto the deck leaving a gap around the edges to fit the railings. This pattern was then traced round onto the wooden deck. I then cut this until I was happy with the fit, and then glued it in place. I just need to cut out 3 holes for the Ventilators and the Funnel. The deck on top of the Wheelhouse needed a hole drilled in it first and then trimmed to the right size. The lower Wheelhouse deck was more of a problem in that it needed to fit around the Wheelhouse, it took a while but I finally managed to get it to fit in one piece. The decks certainly look much better now. I am now in the process of filing down the 2 lower Funnel parts so that the side decks, which sit on them, are level with the main deck area.

a349a815-e7ed-40c9-a391-d37c80abd96f_zps

7eb4820b-263e-4a89-8c9f-c6e7896558a5_zps

d9737f4f-fcf5-4352-b525-9c89e52da4c9_zps

Cheers Andy

• Like 4