DH Vampire T.11 - Airfix 1/72

Hi Everyone,

I finished this model just before the end of 2016 but did not really had time to make photos under daylight. Finally that’s done! So here is my DH Vampire T.11 of the 63rd Squadron RAF in the late 50th.

IMG_1835

Airfix kit is extremely well-known so no need to describe construction process in details.

Extras included CMK resin + Eduard PE for the cockpit, resin main wheels from Pavla, Xtradecal transfers to make something different from standard Airfix liveries. Some scratchbuilding was used to invert anti-shimmy front wheel (by adding thin plastic stripes on the sides), add sleeve ejectors, aerials, and transparent navigation lights. Original pitot tube was sacrificed to the Carpet Monster so I had to recreate one from wire. Otherwise it was an easy and enjoyable build. On to more photos!

IMG_1837

IMG_1832

IMG_1877

IMG_1846

IMG_1840

collage2

Collage1

Thanks for looking!

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
Changed source to flickr
  • Like 27

You've done a nice job there, but I think that what little panel line washing you've done is too much.  Dark marks on yellow paint, for instance, spell dirt which no self-respecting liney would want on an aeroplane that he's signed off, nor would he want the line SNCO seeing it either, or the CO.

I like your treatment of the aerials: I hope you won't mind me cribbing that for my next Vampire.  I had a go at replicating the anti-shimmy nosewheel tyre by carefully going round the circumference with the tip of a small file cutting a shallow groove.  It wasn't too bad 'til file tip met fork front and rear when it became a bit awkward getting a neat result.

If you've got the Xtradecal sheet do us another one please: you know you want to!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stever219 said:

You've done a nice job there, but I think that what little panel line washing you've done is too much.  Dark marks on yellow paint, for instance, spell dirt which no self-respecting liney would want on an aeroplane that he's signed off, nor would he want the line SNCO seeing it either, or the CO.

I like your treatment of the aerials: I hope you won't mind me cribbing that for my next Vampire.  I had a go at replicating the anti-shimmy nosewheel tyre by carefully going round the circumference with the tip of a small file cutting a shallow groove.  It wasn't too bad 'til file tip met fork front and rear when it became a bit awkward getting a neat result.

If you've got the Xtradecal sheet do us another one please: you know you want to!

Hi Stever219,

Thanks for comments! 

Yes - I would agree that washing looks heavier than should be on a trainer aircraft. Probably lighter shade would work better. But to me part of the blame is on Airfix - yes again this is an effect of its trenchy panel lines.

As to the aerials - please go ahead using my approach :) I thought Rebecca aerials should be installed as these are very prominenet on real things. Hope they look realistic. From some coloured photos of that period which I saw, these looked yellowish - perhaps some varnish was used to protect dipoles? 

Front wheel could be surely modified by filing middle part - but I think the diameter becomes too small. I saw someone's WIP pictures with plastic stripes settled on the wheel and then sides filled and sanded. I stole this idea and I think this approach allows to create a better looking joint with the fork and saves diameter. Perhaps, someone must cast resin front wheel. CMK, Aires?

Best regards,

Dennis