Trumpeter 155mm AS-90 Royal Artillery - this time with the pics

Wagtail

Reposting due to problems with the photo's uploading on my last attempt so here we go again., hopefully with some photo's this time?

This is the Trumpeter 155mm AS-90 with a few added extra's

Photo Etch set

Metal barrel with sagged recoil sleeve

Scratch built cam nets and poles

Accurate Armour GPMG  (The kit one is a horrendous attempt at a gimpy)

Accurate Armour GMPG ammo boxes

Lights & indicator lens purchased as self adhesive gems from a craft shop

A great kit and as an Ex-Gunner I couldn't help a pic next to my last 155mm build, one of the guns the AS-90 thankfully replaced an FH-70.

Hope you enjoy.

20170217_123515_zpsg2oi3eft.jpg

20170217_123538_zpsrfaf2hcq.jpg

20170217_123656_zpsgh5jcexb.jpg

20170217_123625_zpsfkoc9cag.jpg

20170217_112220_zpsevkyzy69.jpg

20170217_123458_zpsvtg9cqc9.jpg

20170217_123612_zps99ktavod.jpg

20170217_124255_zpsmoove8na.jpg

Edited by Wagtail
  • Like 22

14 hours ago, Rob Bye said:

Brilliant idea, and obviously effective. Thanks!

Thanks I was looking for something completely different and came across them. The clear ones could have been made to be 1/35 scale headlights and the small coloured ones are great for rear lights or indicators!

20170220_172711_zpshspvstat.jpg 

• Like 4

Always thought that the AS90 was a handsome, purposeful looking beast. You've done  great job on the kit, with a nice finish. Good idea with the craft shop items. That's the second time this week that I've seen someone mention these (over on Missing Lynx). These were online. Here's the link;

https://www.etsy.com/listing/275901090/330-4mm-silver-self-adhesive-stick-on

Just one tiny point about the figure. If you want to get rid of the "wild stare", just use a very thin brush and paint in some darkened flesh above the pupil so that the pupil is touching the upper lid.

John.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Bullbasket said:

Always thought that the AS90 was a handsome, purposeful looking beast. You've done  great job on the kit, with a nice finish. Good idea with the craft shop items. That's the second time this week that I've seen someone mention these (over on Missing Lynx). These were online. Here's the link;

https://www.etsy.com/listing/275901090/330-4mm-silver-self-adhesive-stick-on

Just one tiny point about the figure. If you want to get rid of the "wild stare", just use a very thin brush and paint in some darkened flesh above the pupil so that the pupil is touching the upper lid.

John.

Thanks for that John I'll give that a go. Figures are a bit of a nemeses of mine. I'm reasonably ok with the uniforms, equipment and weapons but really struggle to get realistic faces and hands. I need a lot more practice but will try your tip cheers!

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:27 PM, Etienne said:

Hello,

very nice AS-90 !! Is the figure part of the kit ?

E

Hi E, no the figure was one I had in the spares box, I think he was from the Tamyia AMTRAC he is certainly American but close enough, I won't tell if you don't lol

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Know what you mean, I have the same problem, especially with eyes. I tried using Archers eyeball decals with mixed results.

John.

Oh? Sounds interesting, never heard of them will look those up for sure cheers

3 hours ago, oldmodeler said:

The camouflage net is very realistic, how was it done? 

Thanks. It was a 1/35 scale cam net I bought on line (sorry can't remember the make I've had it ages) then used thick acrylic dark green and brown pain to add square patterns as on the real thing.

Nicely built, but a criticism about the kit is that Trumpeter got the gun barrel rest's legs way too long as about 3-4mm needs to be taken off both legs as the distance between the bottom of the base and the spring is roughly about the width of your hand ( 4-6 inches ).

• 11 months later...
56 minutes ago, tophat57 said:

Nice job, what kit is the FH70 from?

Hi and thanks, The FH-70 is a resin kit from Hobby Fan. I searched high and low for it and ended up stumbling across one on line in a model shop in South Africa of all places! worrth the hunt though as I served on them back in the eighties, a bloody horrible gun to work on by the way lol