DH 94 Moth Minor to 1/72nd.

Paul J

Decision made. It will be a quickie to start with to see how I get on and persevere following my 'downtime'.   As you will see, I have gone for the High Planes resin kit of this little gem. 

IMG_1778_zpszdrptqz1.jpg

Not many bits and should be fairly quickly done. In the above pic is an A Model Vampire which could follow and Canuck Decals to dress it.

IMG_1844_zpsdj3rnl2k.jpg

A start made on Saturday night and this is how far I had progressed. Some very delicate parts like the joysticks that won't last long I can see.

IMG_1845_zps0n0pp6vn.jpg

Today, Sunday afternoon. I had a couple three hours to spare and got on with this build and the above pic and below show how I progressed.

IMG_1846_zpsarbtck8t.jpg

IMG_1847_zps83l8u2kg.jpg

IMG_1848_zpshyygdbbb.jpg

As for final scheme, it will be ths overall silver doped one as I can simply change it to a Civvy easily if a suitable scheme comes up later. I scoured the net for suitable colour schemes but there are so few UK based examples. Most seem to be in Australia so I think it will remain finished as one of the kit options.

More later this week.

• Like 8

One of the most enjoyable aspects of this GB is diverse range of subjects with pleasing lines available to pick from and this one is no exception. Nice start Paul.

Just a few pics of a little more work done while interrupted by other things like a birthday etc....

IMG_1831_zpsii5nmwg5.jpg

IMG_1830_zpsptxiuepm.jpg

IMG_1829_zpskfe7rbvp.jpg

IMG_1828_zpsvoscxryb.jpg

As you see, its almost done. Just a final paint scheme decision and windscreen fitting plus detail painting. I was thinking of an overall silver RAAF one or overall yellow also of RAAF. Not sure where to go with this now....

• Like 5

Quick work Paul. The silver option sounds good to me but then again the yellow would add a great splash of colour to your display cabinet. Nah, go silver ;) 

• Like 1

Cheers all. Before I set up the paint job, I think I'll need to do something with that big gap along the wing underside joint line. It looks a little too prominent. Shouldn't take too long to sort that.

Final build pics with completed model pics up in Gallery.

IMG_1793_zpsr7pwqmim.jpg

IMG_1794_zpsfoir4pha.jpg

IMG_1795_zpsffbb5o0b.jpg

Decals starting to be placed.

IMG_1806_zpsvo4bmelz.jpg

The vac form wind shields cut out and being fitted. Very tricky cutting these out.The thin plastic requires the use of a new blade rro the the surgery essential!

IMG_1807_zpsm5hxxqf0.jpg

IMG_1808_zps7qc8xo7g.jpg

IMG_1809_zps0krs5eet.jpg

Decals completed. I used some black striping the right width( more or less) for the wing root walkways.

Thats it. As mentioned above, pics of completed build over in Gallery. Am disappointed with the Humbrol silver (27001 I think) It sprayed OK  but ends up with a Glittery finish. And I don;t have any other decent silver paint on my bench!!!

• Like 2

Hi Paul,lovely model there of a rear DH. type.I saw one years ago in the back of a hangar in Ireland with a British reg.I'm no expert on paint but the Humbrol metalcote range are buffable with a cotton bud or soft tissue.I've used them before but brused on,then buffed with a cotton bud but not too hard or you'll go through to the base colour.Maybe it's worth trying it on a test puece or under the wing to see if it improves the finish?If it works it might be too shiney for a painted fabric colour though.

I hope this helps Paul,

Jimbob..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dude_gan_ainm said:

Hi Paul,lovely model there of a rear DH. type.I saw one years ago in the back of a hangar in Ireland with a British reg.I'm no expert on paint but the Humbrol metalcote range are buffable with a cotton bud or soft tissue.I've used them before but brushed on,then buffed with a cotton bud but not too hard or you'll go through to the base colour.Maybe it's worth trying it on a test piece or under the wing to see if it improves the finish?If it works it might be too shiney for a painted fabric colour though.

I hope this helps Paul,

Jimbob..

I did think of buffing it but , as you say, it would end up with the wrong type of finish I wanted.. especially it was a wooden aeroplane.

• 3 weeks later...