Tornado F3......

mackem01

I have the Hobbyboss kit, but even then I'd wait for the new 1/48 Tornado F.3 from Revell (kit #3925) which is scheduled for august 2017.

If their 1/48 Gr.4 is anything to go by it'll be worth the wait.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/special/kits/kit_acft_manuf.shtml

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1029959-revell-04xxx-tornado-f-3-adv

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
new link
  • Like 1

Neither.  Both have errors and inaccuracies and the Airfix kit has poor detail and fit.  Of the presently available kits the Italeri is probably the least worst.  The forthcoming Revell kit promises much, but if it is based on the newer IDS/GR.1/GR.4 kit there are problems there too, but by then that might be the best available.

• Like 1

The Italeri kit builds into a nice model, not sure what one of the previous posts is referring to when it mentions problems with the new Revell Tornado IDS/ GR4 kit, other than the forward wing sweep (which is easily corrected) I'm not aware of any.

Muzz

• Like 2

Forward wing sweep issue? Must have slept through that debate! Can anyone enlighten me as I have one in work and a few more to follow.

Regards,

Eng

1 hour ago, eng said:

Forward wing sweep issue? Must have slept through that debate! Can anyone enlighten me as I have one in work and a few more to follow.

Regards,

Eng

Eng 

On the Revell kit when the wings are in there maximum forward position they basically aren't far enough forward and are swept slightly back. You need to remove some plastic of the mechanism that holds everything in place inside the fuselage to let the wings move beyond the point the kit parts would allow. It's an easy fix the only problem is the trailing edge of the wing isn't then long enough so you have to add a bit on.

Murray

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Muzz said:

Eng 

On the Revell kit when the wings are in there maximum forward position they basically aren't far enough forward and are swept slightly back. You need to remove some plastic of the mechanism that holds everything in place inside the fuselage to let the wings move beyond the point the kit parts would allow. It's an easy fix the only problem is the trailing edge of the wing isn't then long enough so you have to add a bit on.

Murray

Cheers Muzz, 

Hazy recollection that I may have heard/read about this way back around the kits release, but fortunately I haven't reached this point in my build yet. This will serve as a timely reminder not to overlook this, especially as I'll be posing the wings at minimum sweep! 

Thank you ;)

Eng

• Like 1

When I read the word 'problems' I thought we'd be talking about something serious. Pray tell what is the difference in degrees between the forward sweep on the real aircraft and that on the Revell kit?

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

On 19 February 2017 at 8:21 PM, Muzz said:

The Italeri kit builds into a nice model, not sure what one of the previous posts is referring to when it mentions problems with the new Revell Tornado IDS/ GR4 kit, other than the forward wing sweep (which is easily corrected) I'm not aware of any.

Muzz

Found it!

General Melchett's pinned thread in "Work n Progress" on the Revell 1/48th Tornado IDS where he refers to the inability to get the wings to the fully forward position (page 5 of the thread).  With the wings as far forward as the kit will allow the flaps foul the fuselage sides in the fully down position.  I didn't read the whole section of the thread just now (academic as I don't (yet) have an example of this kit) but there is a "fix".  It certainly isn't such a show stopper as the shape errors in the Hobby Boss kit but, coupled with some apparent fit issues, it's not as easy a kit to put together as it ought to be.

Revell have understandably designed their tooling to permit as many versions as possible to be produced using as many common parts as possible "just like the real thing" and as the wings and centre fuselage fall into that category I expect that the F. 3 will also need a little work to achieve minimum sweep and flaps fully down.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2017 at 10:16 AM, T7 Models said:

When I read the word 'problems' I thought we'd be talking about something serious. Pray tell what is the difference in degrees between the forward sweep on the real aircraft and that on the Revell kit?

P1170111_zpsd9e3860e.jpg