Hunter air intake colour ?

shatters

43 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

IMGP1299_zpszxa9e2me.jpg

Thanks for the post and above pic. A Hunter is well on its way as my next (March) build so any additional photographs like this would be gratefully appreciated. 

Is the above pic of a restored former Black Arrows aircraft? I would certainly like to see more. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I have one on the to do list as well so any pics would be great.

One thing I have always wondered about was when the little union flag appeared on the starboard side of the front fuselage.  Its there in some pics and not in others.

Thanks Bentwaters - they are really lovely photographs and if this is an accurate representation (as I suspect) of a Black Arrows aircraft, then it's excellent reference material.

The internal black painted airbrake area was going to be silver on my example, it'll now be gloss black.

Once again - many thanks.... Dave.   

This is an original Black Arrows machine. They began with Mk 4, (this was) before upgrading to the Mk 6, which had the 'Dog Tooth' leading edge. The small museum at Wattisham, where they were based, restored it from a wreck. The aircraft displayed with the inboard pylons fitted. The tanks were used for positioning, but removed for displays. Hunters aerobat with 23? degrees of flap selected. In addition to the airbrake, the flap interiors were also painted black. When displaying with the Mk 4, the roundels lacked the thin white outer ring.

I have no information when the union flag was first displayed.

• Like 3

Once again - the additional information is modelling gold (Black flap interiors), once again I was contemplating silver internals here!

I have watched a number of YouTube videos where they do appear to have left the internal underwing pylons in place during flying displays, tanks however have been removed. 

Do you have any knowledge if these pylons were seen as a "usually" fit - and would it be more appropriate to represent these in place on a typical Black Arrow Hunter model? 

Cheers...Dave      

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have about 6 photos of both Mk 4 and 6 with inboard pylons fitted both static and during displays, including this, in colour.

http://aerobaticteams.net/UserFiles/pictures/71B23D0C-54FB-488B-E361-C6C4C8E39F7A.jpg?cache&w=2000

Perfect, just perfect.

Now I just need to finish my Airfix Jet Provost pair (one is a JP.4 in early Dayglo red - Red Pelican's guise) and I'll be straight into this Black Arrows Hunter.

If all goes according to plan a pair of Airfix Gnats (one yellow / one red) will be the modelling subjects for April to May?

I'd consider a Blue Diamonds Hunter, however decals for these (as well as another Revell Hunter) appear a little harder to obtain.

Cheers and thanks for all the aerobatic modelling inspiration.... Dave 

20 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The Blue Diamonds decals are in the Matchbox kit. If you get stuck, I'm fairly certain I have some in the decal stash.

I'm pretty sure I'll be stuck!!

I'll send you a PM a little later, as I'm flicking through BM and work stuff at the same time (work having 2nd priorites of course!!)

Cheers and thanks... Dave.

That's ok, I can then have a look at what I have. I built the 2 seater as a T8M, I don't think I robbed the decals for anything.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATCHBOX-HAWKER-HUNTER-T-Mk7-034-BLUE-DIAMONDS-034-1-72-scale-plastic-kit-/361904480867?clk_rvr_id=1170735244686&rmvSB=true

• 3 months later...

Hello guys, I'm researching to build a RSAF FG74S. Can anyone confirm the colors? So far I'm thinking H116 dark green, H117 light green, H119 light earth and H130 satin white. Also are there any after market AIM-9 inboard pylons or do we just have to scratch build them?