Airfix 1/72 Buffalo

6 hours ago, old thumper said:

It looks great. Along with the Matchox Buffalo this is one of the kits that I would like to have a go at building again. Sadly these kits are a little hard to find these days, especially so the Matchbox version.

Thanks OT :D. The Airfix ones are on "sale" at Kingkit at the moment but the Matchbox version is about twice the price.

I have two more in the stash to use up the other options on the transfer sheet I got for this one.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Meatbox8. I have another two of the Airfix kit and plan to do at least one as a Finnish example. 

Cheers Greg

I look forward to seeing them.  The Finnish scheme looks great.

• Like 1

That's an excellent build Greg,great to see old Airfix getting an outing,thinking about it I don't think I ever built this kit when I was a

kid I remember building the old Revell kit with the Felix the Cat cartoon on it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

That's an excellent build Greg,great to see old Airfix getting an outing,thinking about it I don't think I ever built this kit when I was a

kid I remember building the old Revell kit with the Felix the Cat cartoon on it.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind comments. The Airfix Buffalo is possibly one I didn't build way back, and is probably why I got it for the stash when I returned to the hobby some years ago. My AM transfer sheet has the Felix Cat option on it along with some nice Finnish versions, which I will use on my other Buffalos.

Cheers

Greg :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aircraftkit said:

Certainly brings back good memories. The header card artwork always looked infinitely better than my own plastic creations, but you've done a great job on your finished model Greg.

Thanks for sharing !

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind comments,

All the best

Greg :thanks:

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Thats another fine addition to your collection of old tool Airfix kits, Greg !

Lovely Buffalo, well captured in good photos.

:clap2:

:thanks: mate!!

I love these old kits. Really relaxing builds that are enjoyable, and if I'm honest, a bit nostalgic.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 2

Lovely! Can one dare to ask if anyone knows how accurate the kits are? I'm aware that getting the right subtype/model of the Buffalo is an intricate task, but are either Airfix or Matchbox OK shape/size-wise? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch K said:

Lovely! Can one dare to ask if anyone knows how accurate the kits are? I'm aware that getting the right subtype/model of the Buffalo is an intricate task, but are either Airfix or Matchbox OK shape/size-wise? 

Thanks Mitch :yes:

Regarding accuracy I couldn't say for sure, although I read somewhere that the cowling over the engine is too narrow on the Airfix kit. Airfix don't provide the "tail plug" for the arrestor hook if you are modelling a land based aircraft.

:thanks:

Cheers Greg

resized_d41ed53c-d065-41d4-90f1-257976f7

Here is my later boxed issue of the Airfix Buffalo, it is dated 1975 on the side. A number of the Airfix bagged Series 1 models would not fit into the Blister Packs which started appearing about 1973 and so these kits ended up being transfered to a Series 2 box, kits such as the Buffalo and Corsair.

RIP Haldane Place, London S.W. 18......................

resized_42479f93-92ee-4d8c-8f5d-08ba5977

The whole package just makes you want to start building it...........

Adrian

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great job Greg! Fantastic to see these older kits being built so well. Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the kind comments.  There's a few folk digging out their older kits at the moment on the forum, and its good to see them getting built instead of lining the loft. 

All the best

Greg :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, adey m said:

resized_d41ed53c-d065-41d4-90f1-257976f7

Here is my later boxed issue of the Airfix Buffalo, it is dated 1975 on the side. A number of the Airfix bagged Series 1 models would not fit into the Blister Packs which started appearing about 1973 and so these kits ended up being transfered to a Series 2 box, kits such as the Buffalo and Corsair.

RIP Haldane Place, London S.W. 18......................

resized_42479f93-92ee-4d8c-8f5d-08ba5977

The whole package just makes you want to start building it...........

Adrian

I know what you mean Adrian :D. I have an Airfix Corsair II that reminds me of my childhood every time I open the box. I have to say your Buffalo has been well looked after from your pics. It looks brand new! No sign of any flash on that wee beauty. Cheers Greg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Lovely work Greg. A real tonic to see one of these old kits return to life and kindle memories. Bravo sir.

Tony

Cheers Tony :smile:,

It's good to relive the old days now and again, trouble is I think I'm stuck in a time warp, with all these old kits I have. I'm not complaining mind!

Kind regards

Greg

• Like 2

Image result for matchbox 1/72 brewster buffalo

Here is a nicely built and photographed Matchbox Buffalo which I found on the web.

The differences from the Airfix one which I can see are the more rounded cowling, lack of rivets and a one piece cockpit canopy.

I wish I had kept my unbuilt one now....................

Adrian

• Like 1

http://oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/m/Matchbox%20PK24%20F2A%20II.JPG 

And here is the original Matchbox boxing of the Buffalo with a few lines that explained what the artwork was portraying...................this was the one that I had once......wish I still had it.

Adrian

• Like 1

I am quite a builder and collector of Matchbox kits but the Buffalo is one of the few Matchbox kits that I have neither built nor owned. The Buffalo has a good reputation amongst the Matchboxocracy and is near the top of my wish list, as far as accuracy goes it looks enough like a Buffalo for me.

• Like 2