Mr Hobby Aqueous and Mr. Color Lacquer compatibility

mirageiv

Hi guys.

Just a quick question for those who use both of these paints.

Can you spray the Mr. Color Lacquer based paint over the acrylic Aqueous line, or visa versa? Normally I would assume any Lacquer over acrylic is a no go but considering I'll be thinning both with Lacquer thinner, Mr. Color levelling thinners, maybe there will no issues?  Or, would the Lacquer thinner in the Mr. Color paint slightly wet/soften the underlying acrylic then maybe a reaction between the two paint types?

I usually use the Aqueous line but some of the Mr.Color paints are better matches for what I need plus the Mr. Color clear gloss in the small bottle looks to be great for gloss layers for decals, if indeed I can spray it over the acrylics.

Thanks for any help! 

cheers,

David

This all very interesting. As a committed user of enamels, I have always followed the rule that lacquer should never be applied over any other kind of paint, lest it dissolve it. And now I learn that both Gunze's water-based paint and lacquer use the same thinner. What is the chemistry of both that allows this to happen? I'm stupified!

Thanks guys for the info, very helpful! The Mr. Color line of gloss paints dry so much quicker than the Mr. Hobby Aqueous gloss versions so this will be good news for future painting.

@Space Ranger- Not sure but I think I read the Gunze acrylics, like Tamiya, are not true water based acrylics which is why Lacquer thinner works. Someone who actually knows about paint (not me) might be able to shed some light? Also apparently you can thin Xtracrylix with Lacquer thinner too and they are water based, doesn't add up :hmmm:.

cheers guys,

David.

Edited by mirageiv

Gunze "acyrilics" are lacquer based in exactly the same way as Tamiya.

I have been using either Mr Hobby Gloss Black or Tamiya X-1, thinned with Mr Color SLT for years, as a gloss base for alclad. I have never had an issue with reaction. I have never used it under Mr COlor lacquers, because frankly, unless you are trying to deepen the colour for shading purposes there is no need to thin thos lacquer paints- I find them almost indestructable. I use their cockpit colours a lot.

Alan

I'm no chemist but Mr Color Levelling Thinner is primarily designed for Mr Color laquers. I know it's not a lacquer Thinner (as in cellulose) bit believe some users have had success using cellulose thinners with Mr Color. Gunze and a Tamiya are solvent based paints, not water based, but the solvent is alcohol based having IPA and other chemicals in it. 

Ive used Mr Color Levelling Thinner with Model Master acrylic water based paints as well. 

For some reason all these chemicals are compatible. Works for me...

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 8:28 PM, mirageiv said:

......Also apparently you can thin Xtracrylix with Lacquer thinner too and they are water based, doesn't add up :hmmm:.

cheers guys,

David.

Xtracrylix doesn't  mix with cellulose thinner. 

Tried it once, not nice.

I use cellulose in Tamiya all the time. 

Cellulose is the only stuff that'll clean Tamiya out of the airbrush too!

Rick.

On 19/02/2017 at 8:28 PM, mirageiv said:

Thanks guys for the info, very helpful! The Mr. Color line of gloss paints dry so much quicker than the Mr. Hobby Aqueous gloss versions so this will be good news for future painting.

@Space Ranger- Not sure but I think I read the Gunze acrylics, like Tamiya, are not true water based acrylics which is why Lacquer thinner works. Someone who actually knows about paint (not me) might be able to shed some light? Also apparently you can thin Xtracrylix with Lacquer thinner too and they are water based, doesn't add up :hmmm:.

cheers guys,

David.

Hi everyone

Ive thinned Xtracrylix with Gunze slt a few times and it works a treat. I can't spray xrtacrylix for love nor money when thinned with water or their own brand thinner. Jonners  actually shed light on this a couple of years ago on here. When you add the thinner to the paint it initially goes quite gloopy but if you keep adding the slt then it thins out quite well. You end up with a very thin mix so need lots of passes with the airbrush but in IMHO you get a much better finish with Xtracrylix this way. It still has that slightly plastic look to it but this goes after varnishing.

Will post a couple of pics later.

David, sorry for hijacking your thread!

James

• Like 2

Right then. I found the photo of my little experiment with Xtracrylix and Gunze SLT on an Eduard Spitfire cowling. Not a great photo.

image.jpg1_zpswr58rbeo.jpg

The dark green on this Airfix Blenheim is also Xtracrylix and SLT.

image_zpsnafukduk.jpeg

Thanks

James

• Like 1

Yes Cellulose based with some other stuff in there, it dries very quick but seems to level out a lot better than the high gloss cellulose I got from the car body shop.

I don't know what's in there but you can mist it neat over Tamiya/Gunze paints and varnishes and it seems to reavctivate the paint and level out lovely, did a nmf Mirage to try the stuff out, mixed with Tamiya X-5 smoke as the final coat to take some of the shine off, and even sparying over the decals it leveled beautifully and seemed to settle them down even more.

It seems to deserve the hype it gets from people who have used it before

Note: Try it out first on a test bed model before you take my word for it and commit to your beloved kit, thats what I did with the Mirage, it was a quick oob build to try out the stuff and Spencer Pollards take on nmf

IMG_1081_zpsal57c8ux.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/2/2017 at 9:05 AM, franky boy said:

Hi everyone

Ive thinned Xtracrylix with Gunze slt a few times and it works a treat. I can't spray xrtacrylix for love nor money when thinned with water or their own brand thinner. Jonners  actually shed light on this a couple of years ago on here. When you add the thinner to the paint it initially goes quite gloopy but if you keep adding the slt then it thins out quite well. You end up with a very thin mix so need lots of passes with the airbrush but in IMHO you get a much better finish with Xtracrylix this way. It still has that slightly plastic look to it but this goes after varnishing.

Will post a couple of pics later.

David, sorry for hijacking your thread!

James

No hijack here James, great information! I thought I heard some water based acrylics could be thinned by the Levelling thinners. I only have one or two water based  but this is good to know for the future. :)

cheers,

David