Maritime Mosquitoes

Hey all.  Haven't posted much on here for several months.  Not that I haven't been building (I managed a total of 17 builds for 2016), I guess I just haven't had the mojo for making up some forum posts.  Anyway... Today I present builds Number 1 and 2 of 2017, but first.  

2017 marks the 150th anniversary of Canadian Confederation.  Happy 150th Birthday!  As such, to show my patriotic spirit, I am going to primarily focus on the Canadian subjects in my stash this year.... with exception to the T-72 currently on my desk, which is being built to try out the new Mission Models paints... However...:idea:

Build Number 1:

First out of the gate this year was Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito B.Mk.IV finished as a De Havilland Canada B.Mk.XX.  De Havilland Canada managed to crank out 1133 Mosquitoes by the end of the Second World War, seeing service with the RCAF, USAAF, RAF and the Nationalist Chinese Air Force in their fight against the Communists in the immediate Post-War period.  The first 5 examples of the Mk.XX were named after 5 Canadian communities leading in war bond sales other forms of support for the war effort.  Acton, Ontario; New Glasgow, Nova Scotia; Saskatoon and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and Vancouver, British Columbia. KB162 "New Glasgow..." went on to serve in 139 "Jamaica" Squadron until it was lost on the night of 13/14 October, 1944.

32823200722_9a003775ed_c.jpg

32936731786_b47a1cbaba_c.jpg

32852874431_a900cf62eb_c.jpg

32936652896_e02d2eb092_c.jpg

dh98_mk20b_1.jpg

Build Number 2:
Whilst researching other subjects I came across another Mosquito with a unique Canadian connection. This machine was a Mk.XVI belonging to 692 Squadron, Pathfinders and crewed by Ft. Lts. Andy Lockhart and Ralph Wood, both of Moncton New Brunswick who bestowed upon not one, but three different aircraft, the name Moncton Express, numbering I, II and III.  Now the search began for a Mk.XIV mosquito, a search that did not last long with the Airfix 1/48 example being the only route that didn't involve various resin conversion parts, which in hindsight, may have been the easier option...

32160546833_4440b62798_c.jpg

32820677022_5d01586165_c.jpg

32131364284_0d48dd8824_c.jpg

32975128085_c55ed841cf_c.jpg

32850441691_8f42b23032_c.jpg

32160356403_2e7036e110_c.jpg

Aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force_1939-194

New Glasgow was given resin seats, exhausts and 50 gallon tanks from Ultracast, with the decals for the nose art and serial coming from Iliad Decals (of which two sheets had to be purchased as only one "New Glasgow..." is given on the sheet, whereas it is on both sides of the real aircraft).  Painted with Tamiya's three RAF colours and given a minimal weathering job to depict a factory fresh example.

Moncton Express III was given a resin cockpit modified from the True Details set for the FB.Mk.VI, resin wheels, elevators and 50 gallon tanks from Ultracast, with the nose art and serial being printed with my laser printer on "Experts Choice" decal paper. Aircraft codes were modified in MS Paint from a colour plate, printed on Tamiya masking sheet, cut out and painted.  The rest of the model was painted with the same Tamiya colours as New Glasgow.  This one, however, was given some heavier exhaust staining befitting a machine in active service. Additionally, the carburetor intakes were removed and replaced with Evergreen tube and blended in.

Any questions and comments are always welcome, especially with regards to the Airfix kit as I know there are not many reviews online.
Regards,
ANS

Links to my Flickr albums for both builds:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRkJKqd

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUy6mEE 

Edited by ANovaScotian
  • Like 40

I'd echo the general sentiments; a couple of really tidy looking Mossies! Nice job in particular on getting the Airfix kit looking so presentable.

I was mildly surprised to read that you'd used the same colours on both. The XVI looks quite a bit lighter in the pictures, so presumably down to the camera.

regards,

jason

3 hours ago, JasonC said:

I was mildly surprised to read that you'd used the same colours on both. The XVI looks quite a bit lighter in the pictures, so presumably down to the camera.

regards,

jason

Just one more reason you can't go only by pictures when trying to match colours. 

Pictures for New Glasgow were taken under only artificial light, whereas Moncton Express was done under a mix of natural and artificial light.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goggsy said:

Very smart builds, great finish. I'm well impressed with your decalling; did you use masks? I can't see any trace of carrier film there at all, even in close up.

On New Glasgow I used the roundels and fin flash from the kit and for Moncton Express I used Xtradecals.

• Like 1