1/72 KIT NOSTALGIA AIRFIX F4U-1D CORSAIR

resized_086588db-af5f-4846-ab40-be42c910

Here is a 1/72 scale Series 1 AIRFIX F4U-1D built and painted as AIRFIX  mostly intended.

It was built by a work colleague who has been building kits since the 1950s and was probably made by him when the kit first appeared some time in the early 1960s.

He built it as intended, the propeller and wheels rotate and the arrester hook works and it is painted in AIRFIX paints as specified.

I have just done a little bit extra to it by drilling out the gun ports, adding engine exhausts and navigation lights and matting down the very glossy decals.

resized_62ca9637-cc41-4d6e-a662-ba80613f

resized_8a4d45ee-122c-430f-9351-be2c1eea

resized_10310cad-c033-49ce-83ff-93efcc08

resized_cfcc0dc7-7504-484c-8e90-118665a9

resized_87a72970-73ce-4df9-8965-ca6438e1

resized_f55506d4-7264-4c86-87ed-bbc7b478

resized_b66a6038-5651-4915-84ec-df7175ee

resized_70cf4ef5-1629-4671-bb68-7a4fa769

resized_2b4f0e0c-fd04-4c25-91a1-d4c55973

resized_c4bebf29-8a79-4fa0-8914-a679a450

resized_299134e4-4813-4fba-b4be-23681dc7

resized_dc942618-d755-4b32-abd7-3f6c91d4

resized_99bb92d5-acd2-4f83-906d-87d21dbf

Thanks David for giving me the opportunity to share a golden oldie.

Adrian

• Like 25

I love seeing these original kits as they were done back in the day

Whenever I make any of the old kits I also try and achieve the "realistic" working parts just for fun.

Moveable flaps, spinning props, wheels that turn......how cool! :)

Well done

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

Hi Adey!!!

Those kits are the ones who have taught many many newcomers of those days to build and enjoy modeling...and even today they are...

I watched today a man telling to his son about the wonderful things about the new Revell offerings, the 9-10 years old boy asked me if the "new red box Airfix was the same as  the 30 something parts Heller kit that said AIRFIX inside", and when I told that the new incarnation is the same of the Heller offering but with new version and decals, he smiled, turna and answered his dad that the chosen kit was the Airfix as this one is the very same beautiful  kit that one of his friends  own in the blue box Heller presentation.... 

Those old and wonderful kits have something, without of question, have magic in them.

Thank you and David very much for sharing, for the nice presentation, and making us remember nice memories of that wonderful past times!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 2

Lovely, but for that true 'vintage model' flavour, he needs a gluey fingerprint on the canopy and paint that isn't quite so neat. :D

An old Airfix kit built as originally intended - a thing of beauty indeed. Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 2

I wish I could find Luis' enthusiasm for this kit, I did one for a GB last year, with some mods that it really seemed to need, & although I was happy enough with the outcome it was still a charicature of a Corsair. Be that as it is, you've (& David) done a good job on this, probably showing it in a better light than it deserves. Its not a kit I'd like to see Airfix reissue. Now their F-80 & B-26 are another story.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for reminding us all, of when kits were bought with pocket money, and you ran home because you were so desperate to start building it ! 

Wouldnt it be great if we can all create that same level of excitement with the next generation of modellers.

cheers Pat

• Like 4

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thank you so much for reminding us all, of when kits were bought with pocket money, and you ran home because you were so desperate to start building it ! 

Wouldnt it be great if we can all create that same level of excitement with the next generation of modellers.

cheers Pat

Oh yes Pat, I so wish I could regain those days when I would rush down into Whitby town on a Saturday morning with my pocket money to Woolworths or the other four model shops , Blenkeys, Goodricks, Andersons or the newsagent on Skinner Street, buy a model kit and rush home to start it.............built by Saturday teatime, painted Sunday morning with Humbrol paints that brushed on in one coat in those days and decals on by Sunday teatime.

No such thing as a stash then..........when I had built one I was thinking about what to buy and build next...........great times.

And no such thing as Aftermarket bits......just bits of sprue or card......usually though just built from the bag or box................

cheers, Adrian

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I wish I could find Luis' enthusiasm for this kit, I did one for a GB last year, with some mods that it really seemed to need, & although I was happy enough with the outcome it was still a charicature of a Corsair. Be that as it is, you've (& David) done a good job on this, probably showing it in a better light than it deserves. Its not a kit I'd like to see Airfix reissue. Now their F-80 & B-26 are another story.

Steve.

Hi Steve!!!

Yes, this one maybe was a charicature but you can't deny you were happy to build that same kit again...you did what you can did to make a better Old Model than it was!!!

This old girl can't get compàrison against Tamiya, Revell Germany or Hasegawa, I know that for better results in a special work must have to check for a wonderful kit, but at that old time, this one was better than the Old Revell USA (Of which I own in the stash two: the red box version without rockets and the german reedition...well, I love Old kits... :)  ) and also have the Novo Frog...

And remember the first time I build this one, and four others of the same for a friend who loved to death  this aircraft...and think in the good old times and memories that comes to my mind, persons and facts...and as Adrian says: "No such thing as a stash then..........when I had built one I was thinking about what to buy and build next...........great times....And no such thing as Aftermarket bits......just bits of sprue or card......usually though just built from the bag or box..."...I can add in my case a little Testors or Squadron putty, a nice afternoon of talk, listen to music, sharing time with other people who liked to build models,  and a lot of food, self made Sandwiches, Planter's peanuts cans going and coming, plenty of Coca Cola and a lot of laugh ....at that time it was so easy to be happy and everything than can be built from Airfix, Revell, Heller, Monogram  and others were perfect kits!!!....that makes me crazy and fuels my enthusiasm to buy two Red Box new samples knowing what is in the box... :)

ALSO: I agree with you about the F-80 and B-26!!!

Cheers My Friends!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

You are quite right Luis & I think I have maybe been a little uncharitable to you & others who enjoy making up these old kits & as you've so rightly pointed out, as did I, in spite of the frustrations, I still had fun & in a way, i didn't matter what I turned out. My frustration with this kit is mainly reserved for Airfix who, imho, had a cheek continuing it for as long as they did. I kept the nice decals that came with the last boxing for a better kit, maybe a Tamiya or Academy? & used some still very nice Ventura decals for a Kiwi Corsair. It still managed to look sort of like one.

DSCF2676.jpg

Take care Luis,

Steve.

• Like 2

That one was the first time I tried using paints which were correct for the colour scheme. It was taking a bit too long to dry so I thought I'd speed things up using my hair dryer...

After that, I learned about using putty on large gaping gaps and how poking holes into damp putty doesn't really replicate rivets very well.

• Like 4

On 19/2/2017 at 9:38 PM, stevehnz said:

You are quite right Luis & I think I have maybe been a little uncharitable to you & others who enjoy making up these old kits & as you've so rightly pointed out, as did I, in spite of the frustrations, I still had fun & in a way, i didn't matter what I turned out. My frustration with this kit is mainly reserved for Airfix who, imho, had a cheek continuing it for as long as they did. I kept the nice decals that came with the last boxing for a better kit, maybe a Tamiya or Academy? & used some still very nice Ventura decals for a Kiwi Corsair. It still managed to look sort of like one.

DSCF2676.jpg

Take care Luis,

Steve.

Hi Steve!!!

For sure the nostalgia people is very happy watching these beautiful works. I really like your wonderful results here depicted!!! I was thinking recently in a version like yours after been watching the old NOVO/Frog kit box back and many more as your Airfix look resplendent!!! The wonderful way you have finished her says that really you have had a great time of joy with this old beauty...and really It still managed to look sort of like one!!!  it would be nice to watch what the Airfix good souls will do to replace this one,perhaps will be a nice kit like their current Mustang P/F-51D.

Thank you very much for sharing and cheers My Friend!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Steve!!!

it would be nice to watch what the Airfix good souls will do to replace this one,perhaps will be a nice kit like their current Mustang P/F-51D.

Luis Alfonso

Oooh, yes please, I'm with you on that one Luis. From Airfix' point of view, it should also be a good seller in that all important North American market. Thanks for the nice comments on my Corsair, the photos do flatter somewhat.:)

Steve.

• Like 2