Trans Maldivian Airways DHC-6-300 Twin Otter [MODEL FINISHED]

Pierpaolo

Hi

I would like to participate in my first group build with this Revell 1/72nd scale DHC-6 Twin Otter

IMG_2176p_zpsmh7qy1yn.jpg

IMG_2178p_zps8fprbcog.jpg

The final result should be this...

0567680p_zpshlnfcy5c.jpg

...and to do that I will use this Drawdecal sheet

IMG_2179p_zpseaiqrkfp.jpg

The real challenge will be to find the exact color matching..

Edited by Pierpaolo
TITLE EDITING
  • Like 7

Welcome to your first GB, they are lots of fun. Nice to see a civil Twin Otter in this GB which should look stunning in the tma colours.

I don't think it will be too hard to find a matching yellow. RLM 4 is maybe close with a bit of white in it. Otherwise just mix some together.

Yellow-RLM-04.gif

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

If you're after ultimate accuracy, your best approach would be to email TMA admin and ask what colour the yellow is, preferably the R, G, B values, then get a colour swatch printed and match paint to that. You may find a model paint that's close enough on one of the colour matching websites.

Trying to match colours from photos on a screen is a surefire way to get it wrong.

Is there no colour information on the decal sheet instructions?

I should (belatedly) add... Ooh, a Twotter! Nice one. :)

• Like 1

Thank You all for the suggestions..

The problem is not yellow but blue..

The decal sheet instructions says : "paint the top half and wings Testor's #4 Kodak racing yellow " [...] "paint the engine , wing stripes and stabilizer dark blue to match the decal"

Testors colours are unavailable in Italy by now but it isn't a problem because i can use the yellow that comes closest in Tamiya or Mr. Hobby range (probably H413 RLM04 with a bit of white as suggested by Basilisk)

I will make some color photocopies of the decal sheet to try different shades of blue

I am really looking forward to your build of what is a colourful machine.

Coincidentally, on Friday I started building the original Matchbox boxing of the Twin Otter and will be finishing it as the Flybe aircraft (G-BZFP) that flies to Barra and lands on Traigh Mhor beach.

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Greg for pic , the one you see in the picture is a different and more modern livery. it would be nice to go to the Maldives to personally check the colors although I think the actual tma livery is now white and red.

This week i'll start the work on the model, I hope to do something close to expectations

• 1 month later...
Hi
The passenger cabin is completely empty in this kit so I thought I'd fill it with a floor and specially with the seats..
Here's the seats displacement test

IMG_2211p_zps04ebq6qw.jpg

IMG_2212p_zpsqjlvyey5.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress on my Twin Otter..

interiors done

IMG_2233p_zps7ji0yp15.jpg

IMG_2234p_zpsmglww4ok.jpg

fuselage halves and nose glued together

IMG_2237p_zps9nh0iw9q.jpg

IMG_2238p_zps5vs6pr9e.jpg

Dry fit build of the floats structure for testing the correct angle of the legs

IMG_2239p_zps98mscfku.jpg

IMG_2240p_zpshbfjb09p.jpg

Edited by Pierpaolo
refuse correction
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 3:59 AM, Rob G said:

If you're after ultimate accuracy, your best approach would be to email TMA admin and ask what colour the yellow is, preferably the R, G, B values, then get a colour swatch printed and match paint to that. You may find a model paint that's close enough on one of the colour matching websites.

Not RGB! Get a CMYK mix for printing usage.....the TMA PR dept will probably have it as a Pantone colour - that can be converted to CMYK equivalent. You might be able to get a sample chip from their corporate guide - but then you'd be depending on your monitor or your inkjet printer rendering it accurately. Colour matching is a minefield - best of luck!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 3:17 AM, Rob G said:

Very nice work sir!

I'll second that! Just one thought that might be too late (!). The Scottish Island services I've flown on always had the cockpit to cabin door open..makes a nice view through the windscreen - and you'd be able to see your excellent interior all the better.

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Like 1

Thank You alancmlaird , now it's too late for the cabin door, unfortunately I did not think about it before gluing the fuselage.

For the blue I found a good match with the hobby color H25 sky blue , it will probably only be darkening a bit.

Meanwhile I gave a first coat of yellow (H413 RLM 04).

The engine nacelles and the horizontal stabilizers will be painted in blue

IMG_2285p_zpspwc1vgib.jpg

IMG_2286p_zpsrixdky0d.jpg

• Like 2

This time I hope I am not too late.....but I read a kit review that said the wing struts were of insufficent chord (too narrow) and, more importantly, were a couple of mm short - with the unfortunate effect of letting the wings droop! I should have kept the link, but if you Google kit reviews for the kit, I'm sure it will turn up. Hope this helps.

• Like 1