20170218_133545_zps3umeyrpg.jpg

20170218_133550_zpsxfls4pcs.jpg

20170218_133601_zpsbvryixk4.jpg

20170218_133618_zpst40xa5l8.jpg

20170218_133607_zps7bqum5z4.jpg

20170218_133657_zpsme5uamjd.jpg

20170218_133629_zpsxwotzkz7.jpg

20170218_141033_zps00e9h7wb.jpg

Its finale time on the Maquis Raider/Fighter.

Its now time to paint this thing.

The painting guide at the back of the instruction booklet is pretty much useless, as the colors Revell want you to use do not match the photo references for the raider that I found, also using photos of other peoples builds too as a guide, so it was pretty much guess work.

Starting on the front of the raider with the Aztec patterns which were slightly raised lines forming shapes, so I used my citadel fine detailing brush to paint those with a light grey, which took a couple of coats.

After that I went to town on the rest of the top of the raider with my guess work colors.

Using a combination of various greys & browns, along with red, green, blue, yellow Revell & Humbrol acrylics with Humbrol metallic brass & buff enamels.

When I was painting the blue side engine covers, I wish id have painted those BEFORE I glued those in, as trying to paint around the edges & the wings arms was a right pain & a lot of touching up was needed where id accidentally touched the arms with the blue.

Also the same applies to the gridding under the wing arms too, as I couldn’t paint those on the grey either.

So,  two tips for you……Once you have primered & white dusted the main hull.

1. Glue the wing assemblies first, primer & white dusting those & paint the gridding first, then glue on the wing arms.

2. Paint the engine covers blue first & then glue those in & then the completed wing assemblies.

I found a aftermarket page (for those of you who wish to light this kit) with clear engine covers & what look like red clear rear engine parts below.

http://www.dlmparts.com/excelsiorvoyagerds9.html

I then started work on the underneath.

Pretty much the same as the top with the front aztecs painting, but there are a few more Aztecs patterns on the main hull too & painting on the various colors.

Also painting the rear engine areas in red, along with the exhausts in gun metal.

Once the painting was done, it was time to apply the black wash.

I painted the black wash on in sections & waited a few seconds & wiped off the wash with some kitchen towel & where the wash had puddeled up in the various corners,

I used my stipple brush to draw that out & used the kitchen towel again.

All-in-all, im really happy how the raider has turned out & now its hanging on the ceiling of my mancave.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple
  • Like 3