Automobile Association Dragon Rapide - FINISHED

nimrod54

50 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

I'm curious where the struts above the tail originate from? Not something I recall seeing on a Rapide and isn't shown in the photos?

Cheers for the link Dave, I really must open the scope of my searches and start looking for the obvious. Looking at some of the images you have turned up, I can see that there is a twin wire running from below the fin/rudder join down to the tailplane with another two wires on the underside that run back to the lower edge of the fuselage, one in line with the front edge of the tailplane and t'other stops just in front of the tailwheel.

The parts I have used are listed on the etch fret as tailplane parts and so I assumed that this was the manufactures attempt to represent this double wire. Though it looks a bit clunky and I think that it should be further back than I have it. I am still unsure about the prop blades in some of the photos they look to be black on the front face too. I guess I could paint the back black as you suggest and that way it would be half right, or I could do some quick statistical analysis of the photos and go with the majority option. :lol: Nah! Life's much too short for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

The parts I have used are listed on the etch fret as tailplane parts and so I assumed that this was the manufactures attempt to represent this double wire.

Just checked my kit(s!) and I see what you mean. The one I built was pre photoetch. Not sure where he got that idea from, as you say, its a double RAFwire on the top and two singles in a V underneath.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. I know that I said that I was calling this one done, but after perusing the photos within the link provided by Dave and much deliberating, I have decided to carry out some further refinements. First up was the removal of the tailplane parts and I have now replaced each of these with a pair of 0.1mm wires and small pieces of plastic strip. I have removed the wind powered generator too, and again looking through the photos I can't see this fitted. Finally, I have repainted the rear face of the props black.

Whilst carrying out this work the main aerial wire went AWOL and I will reinstate that tomorrow. The photo below shows the wire replacement parts in position on the tail.

DSC01852_zpsdohlp7tl.jpg

I will post a few more post-mod photos tomorrow once I take them in some better light, but I will leave those already posted in the gallery as is.

• Like 3

As promised, here are another couple of post-mod photos.

In this one you can see that I have removed the wind powered generator from the port wing,

DSC01853_zps3s9zpbca.jpg

and in this one you can see that the rear of the prop blades have now been painted black, the main aerial that went AWOL has also been reinstated.

DSC01856_zps1pvfvg24.jpg

This really is the final update for this project and just to prove it here is the last photo of the completed model in the bottom of the cabinet.

DSC01866_zpscswyesez.jpg

• Like 7

Referring to an earlier post:

"Oh nimrod, what big hands you've got"

Obviously all the better for making ridiculously small aircraft models with :)

Excellent work!

Cliff

• Like 1

Nicely done....like the color combo and the choice of markings for it............

lovely 208 there as well....is that a kit or a one of them ready made jobs......which usually pass hands when new planes are sold...........

best regards

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr B said:

lovely 208 there as well....is that a kit or a one of them ready made jobs......which usually pass hands when new planes are sold...........

Hi Mr B

The 208 is a ready made job, passed to me by my manager when he found out that I had an interest in model aircraft. He said his wife was fed up with knocking the bits off. :)