Oo'er; we've started! RP's Mosquito (TBD)

Roland Pulfrew

Close. My mate chose 5 so that makes it a night fighter, but a II not a XIII; sorry.  I'm quite pleased he didn't choose 1 as I'm not sure I have the time or space for a 1/24th Mossie.  Should be interesting though as I can't remember ever doing something all black; any advice (apart from not using pure black)?

33 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Close. My mate chose 5 so that makes it a night fighter, but a II not a XIII; sorry.  I'm quite pleased he didn't choose 1 as I'm not sure I have the time or space for a 1/24th Mossie.  Should be interesting though as I can't remember ever doing something all black; any advice (apart from not using pure black)?

I cannot advise on the build, but an all black NFll would be good too.  I'm guessing, but I think it's the same plastic as no6.... 

OK, so decks cleared. Other projects put on hold and here are the bits in the box:

A810B18B-1E59-4097-A85D-190440EF085E_zps

Lots of black plastic! That's going to be a first for me!

73C0590A-D3A3-4CF3-A8E4-B65A1620A2EA_zps

And (although not a de Havilland) the added bonus of one of these:

48F0281B-1B8F-4D6A-BECF-A38BBD9973F0_zps

Might as well give that a go at the same time!

• Like 4

Which ever scheme you chose I'd not be afraid of black paint. It'll make a good base for filtered and drybrushed shades of greys and blues and browns to break it up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Damn! A month in and little progress. Glad I didn't choose the 1/24th Mossie. Sadly I've been distracted by Storm Doris demolishing my garden fence, a Joinery company failing to deliver and fit a new oak door and frame and now my neighbours fencing contractors have managed to accidentally cut off my water supply!! But, finally, a bit of progress 

2AABD4BD-BDD1-48B9-9277-208817A17491_zps

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'd love to see the half black one, which judging by the lack of nose radar is one of the 23 Sqn aircraft based on Malta.  My father knew one of the guys who'd flown with 23 Sqn at that time and was one of the first six aircraft that were sent out via Gibraltar, although one of them ditched.  He was also one of the first Mosquito crews to encounter the Me 163.

Met him twice, the second time after doing the Airfix 48th kit as his aircraft.  Just wish I could remember the specific code letter and I'd hopefully be able to track down the serial code.

• Like 1

20597ACA-4FDB-49F8-8D2D-02D3CCFC037B_zps

And a little more progress this evening. Not sure I've done the cockpit enough justice, nor the bomb bay, but the latter is going to be closed up as this is an F variant. This kit goes together really nicely. 

Wooksta (sort of appropriate for May the Forth) your wish........

• Like 2