Tamiya Mercedes Benz 300SL

Moaning Chaps :bye:

Another of the jobs that was stalling on the bench :)

This is one of those, 'You have got to build' kits...

The detail, quality and engineering is fantastic. Not an easy kit to build, but well worth getting one.

Finished in Tamiya TS 14 Gloss Black, which was a laugh in itself, trying to keep it shiny shiny throughout the final stages.

The interior is TS-8 Italian Red, gradually matted down with Matt Clear. Yes, I could have used matt red for the interior, but it just didn't look right. 

Also used the Hobby Design PE set on this one, (well most of it anyway), and the whole lot was finished off with a couple of coats of clear and a bit of Polish :)

A lot of people knock Tamiya kits as Shake and Bakes (and a lot of those people never build them) and this kit certainly isn't one of them....

IMG_20170218_071912.jpg

IMG_20170218_071925.jpg

IMG_20170218_071950.jpg

IMG_20170218_072010.jpg

IMG_20170218_072022.jpg

Apologies for the photo's, really is hard trying to get nice pics on a black car on my phone :) (Camera purchase in progress)

(and ive just noticed the Benz logo on the side is damaged, oh hell now everyone's going to look at it....)

Any and all comments are always welcome

Thanks for looking

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 15

Really nice. 

I dont normally go for plain cars, I prefer racing cars as I feel the  livery decals really look great.

But this has inspired me to try it. 

Do the doors move? 

Edited by Briggers
Spelling

Fantastic build.

This is one on my 'want list'.

Whoever says that Tamiya kits are just 'Shake and bake' obviously don't build them! The challenges are just different... I think that some people like to wear a 'hair shirt' and maintain that modelling is all about wrestling with a swine of a kit until it submits (A bit like horse breaking, I suppose...).

I have built kits from all different manufacturers, and they all present their challenges. The fun is building a replica of the real thing.

I'll get off my soap-box now...

All the best, Alan.

• Like 2

Beautiful. Nice job on the paint - I find black so "challenging" :D - but you seem to have it sorted!

BTW - I think you'd get a better photo result with light on the front of the model - you seem to be backlighting it?

ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad

6 hours ago, Spad said:

Beautiful. Nice job on the paint - I find black so "challenging" :D - but you seem to have it sorted!

BTW - I think you'd get a better photo result with light on the front of the model - you seem to be backlighting it?

ATB
Rick

Hiya Rick :bye:

Ahh, there you go then, I just thought it was my phone took crap pictures :)

I've now purchased a camera so hopefully it will improve, but thanks a lot for the tip :thumbsup:

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lovely kit, and Black set it off, very Germanic,

My dear old Dad looked after one for his mate, mid 70s, looking forward for a ride in it, Dad said no, Some cars, children aren't allowed to sit in, My Dad came from a Victorian up bringing, Funny, now 57+, I sort of get what he means, then, maybe now ❔