EDF Kirishima

With the new Yamato series about to be released, I've prodded myself to start yet another kit to smother the work table!

This one is the EDF Kirishima, Okita's Kongo class flagship at the Battle of Pluto from the first episode of Yamato 2199.

I don't think it'll be a long build. It's a small kit - and I'm ready for paint after just one morning! The only glue used so far is on some bulges and the fins. Everything else is press fit for painting.

gQpSSxl.jpg

HCDfyHe.jpg

MiysLFj.jpg

Ch85l2g.jpg

dvjxcaz.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully some paint after work on Sat and Sun.

• Like 6

A excellent if dainty ship compared to some of it's opponents :) Very agile though!

If it helps a while ago I put together a list of the Earth ships that went into the battle at Pluto to try and match the names and numbers on the decal sheet to a particular ship. I think there is only the numbers for the yellow marked ships in this set but might be handy :)

UNCN First Fleet at Pluto in January 2199.

1 Kongo type Battleship
Kirishima (BBS-555)

Murasame type Cruisers
Atago (CAS-226) after a mountain - Yellow
Abukuma (CAS-229) after a river- Yellow
Yugiri (CAS-253) 'Evening Mist'- Yellow
Nachi (CAS-702) after a mountain- grey/red
Murakumo (CAS-718) – Gathering clouds, grey/red
Ibuki (CAS-741) after a mountain- grey/red
Tsurugi (CAS-777) old style sword - grey/red
Yakumo (CAS-890)--after a town, red/white

Isokaze type Destroyers
Isokaze (DDS-101)- shore wind- grey/red
Ayanami (DDS-103) woven waves- Yellow
Shikinami (DDS-106) parting waves- Yellow
Shiranui (DDS-114)---shining foam—white red
Yukikaze (DDS-117) 'snow storm'- Yellow
Ayase (DDS-119)- a city- white/red
Fuyutsuki (DDS-147)- Winter Moon- grey/red
Minazuki (DDS-148)- June- grey/red
Hatsushima (DDS-149)an island- white/red
Kagerou (DDS-164)- Mirage- grey/red
Shimakaze (DDS-172) island wind- Yellow
Tachikaze (DDS-216)---Sword Wind, grey/red

Other known ships:

Murasame (CAS-707) 'autumn rain'- yellow
Yamato (BBY-01)

Kongo (BBS-551) A mountain
Haruna (BBS-552) A mountain
Yoshino (BBS-553) mountain
Myoko (BBS-554) Volcano
Kirishima (BBS-555)- Mountain
Hiei (BBS-556) -Mountain
Chokai (BBS-557) mountain
Fuso (BBS-558) Classical name for Japan

Thanks, that's cool! As for agile Kongos, check out the ten min preview they put out. Kodai's Kongo is kicking booty!

Anyway, I painted when I got home from work. White, trainer yellow and then red. I cut the red too much with thinner, so it took a little more time to cover the preshading, but I think it's good now. When you don't know if too much is showing or not enough, then you've reached the point when it's done!

The first pic is a bit washed out by the flash, but the second shows a better example of where it's at.

CXdOnHF.jpg

zEwpogA.jpg

Tomorrow I'll assemble as instructed and glue, then add decals. After that will be a gloss coat and a wash, then a flat.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

this is the one set I have never been able to get my hands on as it is constantly out of stock at HLJ etc

I really like this little ship and have wanted one for a while now

Looking forward to seeing more of this one although it doesn't seem like it would be a terribly long build though. How big is it (cm)?

Not a long build by a long shot! But then I'm only doing the one ship. It's definitely a 'weekend' build, as working on it around my real work has only taken a few days to get this far. And yes, I'm loving the look of her, except for the wierd position of the bridge atop the turret. I have two of the Fine Molds versions that are 1/500, although they are just about the same size of the Bandai one, about 20cm long. 8 inches from the tip of the drive cone to the bow. But the Fine Mold ones I'm thinking of kit-bashing into a Super-Kongo, with a longer hull and more turrets and separate, dedicated command tower. A build for another time though...

As for availability, they do seem to be becoming a little scarce - and 'spensive!  I see two on EvilBay for $70!!! Hope you get one for a reasonable price. With the new series there should be some new ones coming out with the new colors and designations, and hopefully not before too long. I really want to add Kodai's Kongo to my collection!

With this one, assembly nearly all complete. All I have to put on it now are the trailing edges of the bow fins. I did have some snafus though. During assembly a drop of paint hit the starboard side, which needed to be touched up. Also on that side, I saw that I had missed cleaning up two spru-gate nubs...:swear: Some gentle sanding and more touch up have minimized them and hopefully all will be less noticeable under the coming flat coat.

I also thought I had put a fingerprint into the paint, but it was merely 'on' the surface and not 'in' the paint itself. I just have to make sure to clean it off good before the flat is applied.

Anyway, here she is now. Next, I'm doing decals!

FiEkKpt.jpg

TgZkMav.jpg

lDt8fmu.jpg

TEuBc21.jpg

• Like 2

Done decals! There are only a few and most went on easy. The most work was in the dotted white surrounding what look like heat radiators on the stern. The are full decals with film going across the detail. I cut them into fours and trimmed out the middle, then pieced them on.

SW6Kqq1.jpg

pZoZzsP.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Madhatter said:

this is the one set I have never been able to get my hands on as it is constantly out of stock at HLJ etc

I really like this little ship and have wanted one for a while now

Looking forward to seeing more of this one although it doesn't seem like it would be a terribly long build though. How big is it (cm)?

On HLJ the preorder for the newer 2202 ships is up, available in March.

https://hlj.com/product/BANN15636

Getting close to the finish!

I made a new stand for the ship, basically because I ruined the kit's stand.

Then I sprayed a flat enamel coat to protect the decals and paint. Which I'll use at the end also, as it is actually a flatter gloss than the paint without being completely flat.

Once that was done, I did do panel-lining around the hull, which I think helps rather than hinders in the end.

After, I did the bridge windows, using artist oils. I mixed some white with green and used a toothpick to apply, then my finger and pointed q-tips to wipe away excess. I did it a couple of times and took several pics and viewed them on the computer to keep checking for neatness. Finally, I am happy with how it came out. The green is within the frames and there is only a slight darkening around the area.

sZxcQO9.jpg

Huu6voU.jpg

BGB0k2U.jpg

ZVatdJQ.jpg

A last flat coat tomorrow and she will be finished!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

great job Thom! Is the bridge/Gun hollow or solid? I am wondering if it's possible to stick an LED inside it is all :)

It's hollow, but the mounting peg is right under the apex of the dome. Plus those windows are extremely tiny!

This is looking great, I'd also like to expand my fleet a bit but I never fancied painting all those windows!

Will

If I painting them all, I'd probably drive myself insane, trying to paint either with a toothpick or a brush with only one hair!

Save your sanity and get some artists oils, even just a cheap set. Then apply and just wipe away excess, being sure to not remove the oil from the window itself. Oils have a long drying time so there is plenty of time for corrections.

LOL - of course there's a huge mounting pin right there - couldn't be too much of an easy fix could it. It should possible then to thin the plastic from behind to make it more translucent without going all the way through. Green LED inside and Bob's your Uncle - lit windows!

Madhatter,

Glad to hear you got one, and can't wait to see that being done on your bench!

Hunter Rose,

Thank you. I was worried about how they would turn out. Turned out it was as easy as any other panel-lining!^_^

And she's all DUN!