Con-sequence

alancmlaird

OK.....patchy progress so far! DH1 on right (which will have the Renault V8) vacform wings finished with rib tapes painted - a long process masking alternate ones, painting, then repeat! As mentioned earlier, the vacform kit had both Renault and Beardmore fuselages and I was completing both as I hadn't decided which version I'd make. The discovery that Sopwith Strutter wings were of the same 5'6" chord and matching rib spacing helped the decision along - I'd do both....

DH11a%20progress_zpsmrambqhl.jpg

Left hand ones from Eastern Express Sopwith (from two 'recycled' models) with reshaped wingtips and ailerons extended by one rib.

DH2 beginning to look like completion in time is actually a possibility!.....
DH2%20progress_zpsthva2nkv.jpg

Brass rod for booms worked well,,,very rigid structure, but each superglue connection had to be made one at a time and allowed to harden. 

DH5 very near completion too....

DH5%20progress_zps7snbky9l.jpg

Vickers gun from previously mentioned Sopwith, and struts from DH4 (more of that later!). Cast metal cowling and engine both actually very nice - cast gun, wheels and prop not so - they will have to be replaced.

This is probably not the place to have a grumpy old man rant, but I thought when I got older, I'd have more spare time.....but apparently not! I have to say, the limited time I have had to get on with some kit-bashing is very calming and, I'm sure is helping to keep my blood pressure down! Lets hear it for the restorative effects of styrene. Now - can we get kits on the NHS, please?

• Like 2

On 2017-5-28 at 10:16 PM, alancmlaird said:

a grumpy old man rant, but I thought when I got older, I'd have more spare time..

Is this what I've to look forward to ? :whistle:  

After our discussion on Beardmore's the other day, I've been trawling for info..interesting history!

I like the engine

That DH5 is a strange creature

Richard

3 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Is this what I've to look forward to ? :whistle:  

After our discussion on Beardmore's the other day, I've been trawling for info..interesting history!

I like the engine

That DH5 is a strange creature

Richard

1. Yes, you young whippersnapper.

2. I have the book.

3. Ta

4. Stranger still that someone built a full size flying replica in the USA.

5. Alan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stevehed said:

Excellent work to date. Wondering if the engine from the Airfix BE2c could substitute for a Renault.

Regards, Steve

Yes, with changes of carburation and exhaust manifolds and, some other near-invisible details......watch this space!

On 6/18/2017 at 5:12 PM, DAG058 said:

Any more news @alancmlaird? One week remaining! 

Annoyingly, life seems to have got in the way of this build more than somewhat - the remaining week is booked for a holiday now too! This might (will) have to be moved to the "to be continued...." section.

Interim (non) progress report will be filed here though.

As a 'stash reduction programme' though, its been a complete failure. Four old kits and a historic scratch-build exhumed for the display shelf is good, but adding two Pegasus DH4s and a Maquette DH9 acquired at the Perth Show this year to the stash wasn't part of the plan!

Ok.....visual (lack of) progress report.........

De%20havillands%20unfinished_zps4hxueo3a

DH5 very nearly, Dh2 nearly, DH1 and 1a getting on quite well, DH6 worse than before I started, Airfix DH4 only robbed some bits off it.
But I do now have two Pegasus DH4s and a Maquette DH9a kits still in boxes.

I admit I am defeated by time here but unbowed - I will be moving this lot over to the Work in Progress section.

To be Con-Tinued.......

(though I'll probably call it Painting by Numbers - Airco DH1-9)

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well! Here it is November and I can still post on here!!!  Who knew?

I have been able to find some time to alleviate the shame of this epic deadline fail by continuing in fits and stops ('fits and starts' seems to suggest more activity than I've managed). So, before I (very slowly) continue my own private DeHavilland Group Build over on a new 'Work In progress' slot, I thought I'd post a taster of the DH1a in its very much nearer finished state - add prop and armament, a bit of touching-up, add a serial no and, although almost all the rigging is done, the control levers and wires have still to be added.

This is the one I cobbled from the spare vacform fuselage and some Sopwith One-and-a-Half Strutter wings - does that make it a 'scratch-build'? A 'scratch conversion'? A 'complete waste of time' since there is a resin kit out there somewhere? Whatever, my sense of satisfaction in its (near) completion verges on smugness :-)

3310139c-0c23-4d2e-bd4f-64654c572faf.jpg

e903ddff-989f-47a8-8802-c0cc5703200e.jpg

Anyway, having decided for now that the 'production line' system as suggested by Scimitar doesn't work for me in the little styrene time I have available, see you over in that Other Place in strict deH numerical order, those of you who are still following, those with the patience of a saint, those who can actually hold their breath for this long, and any newbies who have perhaps just been released from custody at Her Majestiy's pleasure and missed the first bit.

• Like 4