Spitfire aces credited with Experten?

Procopius

I hope to build J F "Stocky" Edwards' Spitfire at some point, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any other Spitfire pilots credited with vanquishing any German aces (I realise Stocky Edwards scored his Experten kills in P-40s), and if there are decals for them in 1/72?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Procopius

How about John Dundas, who shot down Helmut Wick? Unfortunately, Dundas did not have much time to enjoy his victory, but Wick undoubtedly was der Experte. Airfix is even selling a Dogfight Double set with planes of both pilots. Cheers

Jure

Hadn't even thought of him, thanks Jure! 

And then there was Terry Spencer, a V-1 ace with 41 Sqn, who claimed a single air combat victory, namely Hpt Emil 'Bully' Lang, II/JG 26, the top-scoring Lw ace on the Invasion front.  Not only that, he did it in EB-B MN882, the subject of the 1/48 Airfix kit. Terry always thought that air combat victories should be counted as in 'conkers' ... which would have put him on 174!

Edited by Chris Thomas
typo
  • Like 3

On 2/18/2017 at 0:51 PM, Chris Thomas said:

And then there was Terry Spencer, a V-1 ace with 41 Sqn, who claimed a single air combat victory, namely Hpt Emil 'Bully' Lang, II/JG 26, the top-scoring Lw ace on the Invasion front.  Not only that, he did it in EB-B MN882, the subject of the 1/48 Airfix kit. Terry always thought that air combat victories should be counted as in 'conkers' ... which would have put him on 174!

That's a great one, thank you, Chris! That was a Spitfire XII, correct? I have the Sword/Xtrakit in 1/72, so I guess I know who I'm building. One question -- Wikipedia (I know, I know) credits Lang to USAAF P-51s -- any idea how that idea gained currency?

16 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

How about John Dundas, who shot down Helmut Wick. Airfix is even selling a Dogfight Double set with planes of both pilots. 

I will keep a look out for that one, thanks.