Y-Wing 'Squid Squadron' - Bandai 1/72

She's done, the Koensayr Manufacturing BTL-A4 Y-wing starfighter, painted up in a dulled down 'squid pink' for something a little different.

Lovely kit to build, everything goes together so well. It's my third build and my favourite so far; got to try out some new techniques - hairspray chipping and adding washes which I hadn't done before but which have worked well.

There is a WIP here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015735-bandai-172-y-wing/ if anyone is interested.

9A8IE1N.jpg

Purposeful bomber pose, not a bad shot from an iPhone.

gF9GIUd.jpg

Overall I like the look - the front cannons are a bit 'heavy' and its not helped by the Tamiya Gunmetal I painted them with, it is (in my hands at least) very 'lumpy' and I'm not much keen on it.

pgBSvPp.jpg

The droid - my terracotta tea-pot that I'm not so pleased with, I thought he'd set-off the Y-Wing by being a different tone but it doesn't really work as I wanted. I could have repainted him but I thought I put him up and see what others think of him.

The pink stripes on the nacelle came out better than I expected - I really struggled with the masking and then on my next trip to the hobby shop found out you can buy special tape for masking curves...

Tftqabj.jpg

The underside, really pleased with how the weathering - a combination of Vajello washes and MIG enamels has come out

6cKipRy.jpg

The two little rust streaks are my favourite bit of weathering. I wasn't sure if I should add more - but working on the 'less is more' principle I thought I'd quit while ahead and leave it as is.

DhWGnZc.jpg

1IFcz4j.jpg

wDegjRD.jpg

Little streaks of grime added with MIG enamels. The pink paint was chipped with MIG chipping fluid and the 'undercoat' chips were sponged on after. The chipping fluid was the 'heavy' version which resulted in chips a bit too big for my tastes - I'll try to pick up a 'lighter' chip effect fluid before reusing the technique on something this small. 

aMNjUi3.jpg

Well used craft - some Tamiya weathering pastels were used to add the soot/blast marks.

kxesvI9.jpg

Thanks for looking - any feedback gratefully received.

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 19

Very enjoyable to see this go together, and the final result.

Personally, I like the terracotta finish on the droid. The subdued finish fits in with the rest of the ship whereas the typical chromed electric blue or red "head" dome would be a significant contrast to the remainder of the ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

I love to see non-standard finishes on Star Wars ships. This one will definitely be a favourite from now on. Great job on the weathering.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'm with you on the non-film finishes - I've got big plans for an A-Wing inspired by the P51 Mustang...

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 1