Ooooh it's a Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72 relax it's nearly spring build.

Owweeee! Hope the finger's not too sore Johnny.

Good job on the canopy - nice and shiny. Those silly bits drove me mad too - the TET sucked them down in the wrong position, several times.

You can have whatever scheme you like Sir, it's your model. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Owweeee! Hope the finger's not too sore Johnny.

Good job on the canopy - nice and shiny. Those silly bits drove me mad too - the TET sucked them down in the wrong position, several times.

You can have whatever scheme you like Sir, it's your model. :) 

Thanks Ced. Fingers not too bad.

I ruddy knew I'd seen that Sea fury box before. I think subconsciously I want to build all your builds. :rambo: 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I ruddy knew I'd seen that Sea fury box before. I think subconsciously I want to build all your builds. :rambo: 

:rofl: It's a nice kit Johnny IIRC... and at that price, a bargain! Until of course you factor in the MiG, stuff for smoke...

• Like 2

Yowcha!! I think we've all managed to ventilate/puncture some part of us at some point in our modelling.

I remember the tale told to me of a modeller who dropped his scalpel and was looking for it on the floor only to find it sticking out the top of his knee :o

Really nice progress there Johnny, shedding blood for your art :D

• Like 1

Good job on the fiddly little bits and the canopy seas :clap: 

If it is of any consolation to you, I manage to cut through one or more of my fingers at each build ... :chair: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Ouch :o! I hope your digit is ok Johnny?

These admissions of inadvertent surgery by many members of BM are both disconcerting and reassuring.

We really do handle surgical grade instruments and they do, erm, sometimes, slip  :blink2:.

No bias, but I bet you could do a cracking job of the Matt yellow scheme. For either scheme; decal paper and a printer? I sound like I've done it, but I haven't. Others have and it seems to work with minimal faff.

Great progress :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Finger is all good, I did drop the old scalpel into my thigh once. Ouch!:o Any hoo, a little more done. It's a little one step forward two steps back as I find out about the pain up the bottom rear canopy part. Long story short I managed to smear TET all up the inside of the rear clear part :worry: not too bad but I couldn't live with it. It started with me deciding to hairy stick the inner pit area before sticking on the canopy.

CBA9E1BA-AFCF-4F11-91D6-151BEEAA1E18_zpsvrgln86d

one coat. Then two, then three.

F882E923-33BA-4368-B319-BC97A8AC5716_zpsbhjqzaca

all cool. Then the :poop:hit the fan. I have no pics of the CrAzY as I was trying to save the canopy. There is a rear section that gets glued into the rear glass section before fitting in place, it got painted then held lightly on the spot before adding a little TET. It some how smeared up the inside of the canopy causing a melted plastic and paint mark at the lower section.

7B1B8FF7-7BF8-4CE8-9608-D73C6CF7BEA8_zpslcxom3lt

this is after a good cleaning with MR S thinners. The paint came off but I had a frosty bit. Not major I know but dang it's a frosty bit.:rage: so a word to the wise, be very careful if you build this kit with this part.

58540381-5B72-4611-B60C-7D8173446362_zps6ybx3017

And glue the little bugger in first so you won't glue up the inside of your glass. @CedB didn't have this problem as I checked tonight but it's a thing so watch out. :frantic: luckily I have the micro mesh pads so scrub a dub dub and it all seems better again. 

5358FF6A-8AB8-4D36-B946-2E4AB99B9488_zpstjszcb6a

i had to do the same with the front canopy, twice! As I managed to scratch it in the struggle. Another word to the wise, lots today, if you're micro meshing a canopy you can sand a hole. ( ask me how I know ) :doh: it's tiny though so it's as good as it's going to get. 

I did get some progress with the wheels and bits primed, alas no pic. And the sight thing added. 

9C0FB7D8-BC02-4DE0-950E-3A2DBD3475AA_zpspam4pyf9

then I actually managed to mask the rear canopy.

CE2A307E-EE8F-4000-9149-DED395A07468_zpsqlgvwgaj

which brings us almost back to where we started.  I'm leaving it there as I think I must have the opposite Midas touch. Every thing turns to.... well you can guess.

its in a happy place for tonight. More progress tomorrow.

Thanks for listening to me whine. It's nice to be able to share the bad with the good sometimes.:huh:

here' to better momentum tomorrow night.

Happy Modelling good folk of BM.

untill then.

night night.

Johnny TET ;)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

Great save on the canopy Johnny - I'm especially pleased you sorted it as those internals look really good!

• Like 1

Looking good. Sorry to hear about your canopy woes though but glad you managed to sort it out. 

If if you loose the battle with the canopy at any point it may be reassuring to know that Pavla do one for a mere £1.65 available from Hannants. I've just bought one for mine.

• Like 1

Great save on the canopy, John :thumbsup:  To glue clear parts to plastic I use CA gel, this for instance:

super-attak-control-flex-gel.jpg

No fumes, so it doesn't frost (nor smell, which is a bonus for me). On canopies, I use it sparingly to hold the part in place; once set, I go along the join with TET, only a small amount by capillarity; this is becasue, like in your case, if I glue on top of a paint coat, CA is bonding to the paint, while TET melts through it and reaches the plastic underneath. My :2c: 

Ciao

• Like 5

Nice save on the canopy. Micromeshing down to a hole; eeek :o, good heads up, care will be taken.

Its also good to hear that there's a Pavla replacement for £1.65. That interior detailing you've done is too nice to hide :thumbsup2: .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Ouchh! That looked as much fun as walking a tightrope made of razor blades in your plimsolls on a windy day. Equilibrium restored however with your usual verve Johnny boy. Bravo on the shiny shiny.:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks you lot. :lol: it really helps having you guys along for the ride you know.:yahoo: Good to know there is a replacement canopy, I don't know why I didn't look. Good call on the glue too. I'll be getting me some of that action, the one I use smells to high heaven and hurts your eyes. :huh:Any hoo after a super burst day at work, thinking about how well Tony's Cuda build is looking I was determined to get some good progress done tonight. Not a great deal of time was had but progress there was. ;)

first off I did a quick wash of Flory black and highlighted in light grey, subtley does it.

A9C6BAEB-3660-4E07-839B-958EF950DB9C_zpsnrnpvmtf

then on with the masked canopy.

4C9A0E43-3FF4-487F-A0CD-4EF21E04BC08_zpsujru9d1p

the fit is good after the prep work. Fixed in place with the smallest amount of TET and sprayed for the internal view.

209C0449-09F3-4147-8EE0-04F213DC2391_zpsss8m3syw

all good. :lol:Let that dry and primed again.

52B8B335-37C9-48FC-945C-EE008CF4CDBA_zps7wkxbxxs

got the front wing bits on too. All ready for a pre shade in dark grey. Top

6EA3F075-CC21-43E7-A43F-7E1D7EE365B7_zpsyks3yhva

Belly.

E46FAF07-8553-405E-9340-54FF1A0CB7DD_zpshgpydui1

And an action shot just because.. :wicked:

BDB6153C-36BB-4DC4-9BBE-63B25FAA7C20_zpslwseoyae

I did a wee bit of motelling too. That dried and on with some thinned white.

946824BC-DC77-4877-8F29-753675ED6DE6_zpslkuxfcb3

look it is different honest. Any way I'm letting that be it for tonight. One last action pose.

FA084F84-C690-4495-A53B-9E20A112C62A_zps3aaogysh

I have well and truly fallen back

in love with this. Thank you once again for all your helpful comments and support.

oh before I get some shut eye you might have noticed I've started to build some of the weapons this beast carries. (Penultimate pic) There are an absolute bucket load, there is a vague hint as to which the RAF use but does any one have any idea which ones should go on? I do like the Sidewinders. :whistle:

Happy Modelling you guys.

Johnny payload.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

The build looks spot on.

I have to say I have a soft spot for this one after seeing it flying overhead in the Lake District. Your photos remind me of those times. 

Possibly not quite as special as the two Tornados that flew past Scafell Pike when we were up there on my birthday last year. Mrs F swears she didn't arrange it but I refuse to believe her...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5