Ooooh it's a Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72 relax it's nearly spring build.

I'm totally with Ced; I did some vacforming myself (so I had a few samples of the same part to butcher :coolio: ) and a sharp blade is the way to go, followed by careful sanding.

Ciao

• Like 2

I put some masking tape around where I need to cut. This not only makes it easier to see what I am doing but also provides a degree of protection from the scalpel slipping.

Martian

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Johnny I'd wait for an expert to confirm but the advice I got was to use a new scalpel blade and GENTLY run it around just 'outside' the join, patiently 'scribing' the line but not pressing (to avoid cracking). You can then dry-fit and sand until you get the fit. Some say to draw the 'cut line' first with a sharpie if it's not clear.

I'd try to assess the fit before you start cutting, just to be sure to be sure :) 

45 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I put some masking tape around where I need to cut. This not only makes it easier to see what I am doing but also provides a degree of protection from the scalpel slipping.

Martian

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I'm totally with Ced; I did some vacforming myself (so I had a few samples of the same part to butcher :coolio: ) and a sharp blade is the way to go, followed by careful sanding.

Ciao

Right. Thankyou all so much. :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed I'll get some time this weekend to get this baby on, or at least painted. 

btw I couldn't resist and I bought the airies cockpit for the P38 plus some sexy decals. I've decided to go full American.

:analintruder:

Johnny clearpart

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 4

Morning you lot.

well now that was a new experience. :drunk: I think it stems from many, many, many frosted canopies as a kid. I tend not to get stressed out but this is a real doosie.

Cutting, sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting. Arrrgh.

lets start at the start eh?

1F220BF3-04C8-46CB-872C-AD9446B59081_zpsm0goarot

cut out bits. Nice and shiny, dusty but shiny.:christmas: but with all the good will and sanding and fitting in the world I couldn't get it to fit well enough.

8C65A28C-ED8C-4B52-ABFB-35F88BCA510E_zpspszojna5

so I've made the executive decision to go canopy open.:blush: Which means this.

6ED30212-F4FD-43B2-8929-283F6C7073AC_zps0pqvtos9

so PING!

C53D57F6-2008-424A-8275-A30CFB0E684A_zpshoznxzk3

"jees they come apart easy":blink:.

And another first, stretched sprue.

D75A478B-1222-4829-A3F6-BF1E9EB06172_zpslkxy6rzl

I built the little holding part but with only one dowel ( what can possibly go wrong? ) after some holding of breath and cold sweat we have it held in place with a cocktail stick bluetac and a peg.:drunk:

85CE5E64-7B6A-4B43-8E20-0AF5916F39DC_zpscvnz2crp

there's a bit of clean up on the rim I've just noticed in this pic but I'll let that dry before painting. Oh I masked too.

here's the front.

E151C76A-95E0-4FA6-966D-AD27EB1F2E8E_zpspgvtcaa7

:yahoo:feels like I'm winning now. Just some paint and a bit of glue an we should be done.

thanks for dropping by and for all your help and support.

have a lovely weekend. 

Happy Modelling.

Johnny open. :winkgrin:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

56 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice recovery Johnny and at least you'll be able to see all that lovely internal detail properly :) 

Thanks Ced. Yes I thought that, I don't know why I didn't do it open in the first place.

54 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

OOOOOH, looks like it going to be finished very soon.

Nice work John.

Simon.

It is that. And thanks. We're going on a family bike ride in a bit so maybe more tonight. :winkgrin:

Johnny sore bum.

• Like 2

Good save John :).

It's too late now, and it may have been mentioned but I've missed it: when cutting the vac-form canopies out its good to stuff them with Blu-Tak first.

Stops them flexing all over the place and gives more purchase for the scriber/blade.

Your detailed cockpit looks superb, so this open option is a blessing in disguise :thumbsup2: .

Cycling shorts with a well (gel) padded posterior zone. Good for avoiding the late Saturday, post cycling, John Wayne legs akimbo, glowing rump cowboy walk 🚵  :D.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

I think I can see why the canopy doesn't fit properly. The words Pavla and fit are not often to be found in the same sentence, excepting that the word doesn't is placed between them. No need to ask how I know!

Martian

• Like 1

Sorry not to have been there in your darkest hour Johnny but glad to see you recovering the canopy not only with humour but nonchalance. An example to us all of grace under pressure.

Bravo! :thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Good save John :).

It's too late now, and it may have been mentioned but I've missed it: when cutting the vac-form canopies out its good to stuff them with Blu-Tak first.

Stops them flexing all over the place and gives more purchase for the scriber/blade.

Your detailed cockpit looks superb, so this open option is a blessing in disguise :thumbsup2: .

Cycling shorts with a well (gel) padded posterior zone. Good for avoiding the late Saturday, post cycling, John Wayne legs akimbo, glowing rump cowboy walk 🚵  :D.

All the best

TonyT

Thanks for the tip Tony. Yes I used blue tac while sanding, much better:yahoo:. I think the open canopy will look great. I'm so looking forward to the P38 though.

nearly there now.

Not too bad on the old backside, I'll probably feel it tomorrow. :bristow:

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well done Johnny!

Thanks Cookie. :winkgrin:

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think I can see why the canopy doesn't fit properly. The words Pavla and fit are not often to be found in the same sentence, excepting that the word doesn't is placed between them. No need to ask how I know!

Martian

So Pavla are bad? Doh! What's a good after maket canopy company? If there are any.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry not to have been there in your darkest hour Johnny but glad to see you recovering the canopy not only with humour but nonchalance. An example to us all of grace under pressure.

Bravo! :thumbsup:

Tony

Thanks Tony. Hope you're feeling better. 

The canopy was a right old pain up the bum, but hopefuly it'll come good after some paint. 

• Like 3

I wish you well when installing the ADT vanes under the nose. They're tiny. I lost two of mine simply getting them off the sprues, and in the end replaced the lot with trimmed bits of the thinnest plasticard I could find.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

I wish you well when installing the ADT vanes under the nose. They're tiny. I lost two of mine simply getting them off the sprues, and in the end replaced the lot with trimmed bits of the thinnest plasticard I could find.

Ha! Yes, I lost one during the canopy nightmare but I replaced it wil a little bit of fuse wire. They are tiny. :blink:

John

• Like 1

Falcon/Squadron canopies are excellent and I have found Rob Taurus to be pretty good as well.

Martian Clarifying the Clear Parts

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice to see you back on track!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. It's been an odd end to an quirky build. I think

it turned out nice though.:pilot:

8 hours ago, Vadim said:

Don't know how did you find all the patience to finish this canopy... Brill save and recovery! Still waiting to see RFI pictures.

Thanks. It was a little testing eve with the new canopy. I should have asked Revell for a spare.

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Falcon/Squadron canopies are excellent and I have found Rob Taurus to be pretty good as well.

Martian Clarifying the Clear Parts

Noted. Thanks Martian, I think I'll give Pavla a wide birth from now on or at least find an alternative.

Johnny

Hi guys.

It's the day of mothers so no plastic today although saying that I did do this last night as the wife was napping after the bike ride. (Crafty):wicked:

87C70893-5824-4662-81F1-20CB3D3B8660_zpsf5rjkveg

We have two types of paint, one for the inner one for the outer frames. Then a matte coat.

and off with the masks. 

0D8BBA3B-C64B-4E8D-B716-EB34C8A5526F_zpstwstxuxd

by no means perfect but a hundred times better than my glued scratched and foggy originals.B) Almost done when I notice I have knocked of three, count em, THREE of the little fin things on the nose.:rage:

so out with the fuse wire and BAM!

B32DAD7F-6FF3-4920-B24C-1AAB512E179C_zpsvplydrqq

i made them look as though they were flopped too. :lol:

then the time had come. 

54D8FA83-1FDA-4169-8FEB-FCF0EEC756B3_zpsvhaiupfd

It fits! I let I'd dry over night.

aaaaaand.

E249CE69-67FF-41FF-B7C6-77E403870C38_zpsgkt5yjd0

it's still in place:D you can just see the UC flaps I'd added right at the end.

This pic was taken this morning, the light was lovely at about 7:00am so I took her into the garden and took some chilly shots for the RFI. I'll post up tonight fingers crossed with a sign off post and links to the RFI and the new build on this thread.

Thanks for popping in on this special day.

I'm off to see my old dear now, then a walk along the river with the mother in law.

no rest for the wicked. :devil:

Happy modelling and see y'all later.

4093CB47-B090-47DD-B6A3-890A8C14F747_zpssmvmdfxj

Johnny sunrise.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 15

Good recovery!

However is the angle of the seat wrong?

Doesnt like ok like much room to climb in between it and the front windshield...

The pic on the mat with the scalpel in front of it - perhaps cause its a front 3/4-ish rather than full side-on? 

tony

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Johnny :). This model brings home to me just how amazing the Typhoon looks. They remind me of futuristic Gerry Anderson designs.  I like them so much now that I've joined a Flickr group on them.

I'd get one for the stash but:

The canopy

Those stencils

The stash is too big

I could never do it justice like you have.

Suoerb dawn photo, looking forward to the RFI.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1