Ooooh it's a Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72 relax it's nearly spring build.

11 minutes ago, Howlindawg said:

It was looking good up until now but with the payload added it looks fantastic.

Nice one John!

Agreed! Good job, Johnny Ordnance :clap:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks guys. You're all too kind. 

A bitter sweet day today, well let's say sweet bitter.:angry:

It was all going well.

wheels washed and on.

EB1FBEDF-31DF-4A70-929C-7AC2420CCF17_zps6sgrx27v

the little fins on and all that is left to do is top coat in matte and reveal the canopy. Sounds like an easy task. :( I top coated and left to dry. Then set about tidying the desk getting ready for the next build. All tidy just need to rip off the masking aaaand.

A68F677F-00A0-4096-8201-5C24033C4B90_zpsqwnugfty

well the rear wasn't too bad but the glue had frosted the back part again and it wasn't as clear as I remembered. Then the front came. I have no desaster shots as I was in a bit of a panic but the glue had crept up one side and frosted and there was a huge curl of plastic sat on the dash. :poop:how in the actual hell did that get there. Nothing for it but to try and ping it off with a blade.

PING!

595913EC-F753-420C-AACF-AD8FDB0BA4E0_zpsbjml2uic

I tried to sand it back but I think it's a lost cause. Oh and to add insult to injury I knocked off one of the little nose fins and promptly lost it. :fraidnot:

34E74435-5ED6-4814-9FBB-2293D6C29C7F_zpssqviars4

I can't actually believe it. Soooo close too. I shut everything off and sloped onto eBay. Luckily there was a pavla canopy for £1.70, it's currently winging its way to the Midlands. Fingers crossed I can ping off the rear one and graft the new one in place.  So some good news.^_^

Sorry to have to share bad tidings but I had to tell someone and you guys will actually care. :wub:

Not wanting an all doom and gloom post I started looking at the new build just before the nightmare. Fact a game of guess the bit?

AD4D819C-EE55-46B1-9BA4-E98B88A2EB89_zpssmo6icbm

thanks for listening. I'll post up when I get the new canopy. Shouldn't be long.

All the best and happy modelling.

johnny frost!

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 10

I liked your post because of your attitude, I actually feel sorry for the canopy disaster. :(

Hope to see the new canopy coming in soon.

Ciao

• Like 1

It's deja vu all over again!

If you get curls of plastic under the canopy when you take off the masking some people would say the best thing, if tapping doesn't knock it into the cockpit, is to take sneaky pictures and get it on the ceiling ASAP... just saying.

Fingers crossed here for the replacement Jont :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Is it the tail of an RS Models P-38?

Pretty much Spot on. Bravo P, it's the Academy P-38.

I'm thinking of doing the "Droop Snoot" as it's such a silly name. ;)

44 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

P 38. which or who`s I have no idea.

Simon.

PS Bummer about the clear parts.

Yup, I'm going to have to choose more obscure parts. :D 

34 minutes ago, Howlindawg said:

Ouch! :(
What glue did you use for the canopy?

I think the correct answer has already been guessed for the next build.

Have you seen the polished metal RedBull version?

I used TET. It's crazy because it's what I always use. It frosted first time and now again. I think I'm putting too much on. I'll learn from this.:innocent:

31 minutes ago, giemme said:

I liked your post because of your attitude, I actually feel sorry for the canopy disaster. :(

Hope to see the new canopy coming in soon.

Ciao

Thanks G.

it is a real pain but you have to stay positive. The new canopy is on it' way and it's in one piece. Huzzah! Shouldn't be too hard to fit.  Fingers crossed.

I'm not going to start the Lightning until this one is done.

gives me time for some research and space to catch up with you guys.:thumbsup:

Jont.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

It's deja vu all over again!

If you get curls of plastic under the canopy when you take off the masking some people would say the best thing, if tapping doesn't knock it into the cockpit, is to take sneaky pictures and get it on the ceiling ASAP... just saying.

Fingers crossed here for the replacement Jont :) 

I couldn't. I'd know it was there. I have no idea where it came from. Probably somewhere deep in the fuselage and managed to get jammed right up front.

it'lol look better with a nice clear canopy though. I'm looking forward to joining you in a nice Silver mist! :D

John

• Like 1

And just to prove I'm an absolute fiddler. (As in I can't stop messing with things) oh god I'm just digging deeper.:huh:

long story short. 

POP!

AFCF614B-836F-48F0-BA8C-86F03BE2A849_zpsuotv8zpg

much, much happier now. Come on Mr (or mrs) Postman. :boxing:

Johnny popoff.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 11

Well that's a frustrating problem to have at the most frustrating possible time. Good on you Johnny for coming up with a plan so quickly - can't keep this man down.

Ooooh, I've heard the Academy P-38 is a great kit - be glad it's not the RS one, or your frustrations would just be beginning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I couldn't. I'd know it was there.

Good man. I remember Nigel having a similar problem and (for future use) getting a plastic rod charged with static to push the sliver back into the kit. As usual, I didn't have the right tool!

Silver Mist? Oooh, what's next?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

So your cunning plan that cannot fail relies on Royal Fail? :mental:

Martian

The mail system is pretty good for me.

Models4hobbies has sent the canopy this morning. All good.:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well that's a frustrating problem to have at the most frustrating possible time. Good on you Johnny for coming up with a plan so quickly - can't keep this man down.

Ooooh, I've heard the Academy P-38 is a great kit - be glad it's not the RS one, or your frustrations would just be beginning.

Thanks. Yes it looks like a great kit. I might get the airies cockpit.:coolio:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Good man. I remember Nigel having a similar problem and (for future use) getting a plastic rod charged with static to push the sliver back into the kit. As usual, I didn't have the right tool!

Silver Mist? Oooh, what's next?

Plastic rod charged with static. WOW! I'll remember that for next time. I think this canopy has been a pain since I started grinding at it near the start.

I'll be doing the Academy P-38 "DroopSnoot":guitar:

5 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Rats! Thank goodness for EBay. Looking good though.

Regards,

Adrian

Indeed. Here soon.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Johnny

• Like 3

Johnny I'd wait for an expert to confirm but the advice I got was to use a new scalpel blade and GENTLY run it around just 'outside' the join, patiently 'scribing' the line but not pressing (to avoid cracking). You can then dry-fit and sand until you get the fit. Some say to draw the 'cut line' first with a sharpie if it's not clear.

I'd try to assess the fit before you start cutting, just to be sure to be sure :) 

• Like 5