Supermodel 1/72 scale Fiat Cr32bis

Mitch K

I found this a while back and I wanted a CR32 so bought it on spec, then heard it was a bit of a beggar to build. Oh well, too late now!

The spread of parts: 

32881920676_f3013a100b_k_d.jpg

The pictures I have indicate the presence of a real floor and bulkhead, so those go in first:

32541967840_99ae67e65e_k_d.jpg

The seat has a cushion on a sheet metal/pressed metal pan. So first glue a bit of shaped plastic card to some metal foil,

32079200044_0d562d4baf_z_d.jpg

Then form it up and shape it till it's seat-shaped!

32881878156_16b66ff37f_z_d.jpg

The rest of the cockpit is sprue, foil and sheet, painted with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics then shaded with a mix of sepia ink in Klear. It will be matted down before closing up. The instrument panel is a scratch job.

32881863476_315beff10c_o_d.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Mitch,

well done so far! I have looked at this kit in my stash so many times... and never dared tackle it!

The cockpit looks very smart, indeed.

I shall be waiting with trepidation to see how you deal with the struts between the wings: if I remember correctly, everything is butt jointed and to me, that is the stuff nightmares are made of. Anyway, depending on your success, I will or won't consider opening the box for good once more!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

JR, yes, I too am looking with trepidation at the butt joints! However, there are some good, big mating surfaces there, and it's at least very clear where everything has to go, unlike some kits I might mention...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

JR, yes, I too am looking with trepidation at the butt joints! However, there are some good, big mating surfaces there, and it's at least very clear where everything has to go, unlike some kits I might mention...

Ain't it nice to be optimistic?!

You are correct about the mating surfaces being "fairly" large, but whoever designed this kit had a serious sadistic leaning...

But I guess with a good template, things should become, if not a breeze, more manageable.

Take a deep breath!

JR

• Like 1

I would like to take a seat for this one if it's ok?

I have probably five in the stash, from the old SuperModel to the recent Italeri re-release.

Again, I've viewed the building instructions with trepidation.

You're doing a grand job so far, the seat, base and back, is fantastic :thumbsup2: 

:popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, a long-delayed update. The fuselage goes together quite nicely, and the lower wings and tailplanes need just a slick of filler to blend them in nicely. The wing gun pods fit well, but the positioning is a bit vague in the instructions.

32768736022_e68c735875_k_d.jpg

There's a bit of sinkage on the back of the engine cowling underneath, which required a bit of attention

32881839816_13224b72f2_k_d.jpg

There's more cockpit visible than one might suppose:

32881819356_1b96875807_k_d.jpg

The undercarriage is a bit of a pig to install, but is actually reasonably robust once you get it there. At that point I primed and painted.

Now, I should point out that at this point we have left the Real World! I promised myself this as a What-If, some time ago, so those of a nervous disposition can leave now! Getting the cabane struts onto the wings is not a huge problem, and the butt joints work tolerably well, as there is a decent amount of gluing area. Getting the wing onto the fuselage was a monumental effort, however, over about three nights, involving my biplane jig, a box of clamps and a great many curses!

33464682421_d9ed7dbda1_k_d.jpg

32779588623_42dd1b3ffb_k_d.jpg

There's some paintwork to touch in around the cockpit, and obviously where the interplane struts will go (one at a time, one per night!). Keen observers will also note that I've lost one of the aileron spoilers. Goodness knows where it went, but I'm going to have to replace it from  scratch - oh well!

• Like 5

Mitch K, you may need to scratch and replace both aileron balance tabs, as it looks like you have installed them wrong way around. They should angle forward toward the leading edge, not rearward toward the tail.

I like the what-if idea. Is there a backstory to go with it?

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Mitch K, you may need to scratch and replace both aileron balance tabs, as it looks like you have installed them wrong way around. They should angle forward toward the leading edge, not rearward toward the tail.

I like the what-if idea. Is there a backstory to go with it?

Chris

Chris, thanks for that - I'll remediate the balance tab I have left and do the new one to match! As for a backstory, oh yes, I have a backstory!

• Like 1