Phantom F-4J (Hasegawa 1:48)

Nice work in the 'pit :clap2:Not tried those rubber fabric belts yet (that reads a lot dodgier than it did in my head! :blink: ) but you've mastered them :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work in the 'pit :clap2:Not tried those rubber fabric belts yet (that reads a lot dodgier than it did in my head! :blink: ) but you've mastered them :thumbsup: 

Thanks Col :D  

And yes, that does sound a bit dodgy!!  :bandit:   

:rofl:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Looks to be coming together well :) 

Thanks Col :) Yep, it's a pleasant build. I spent quite a bit of time prepping the canopy today but the majority of the parts fit superbly!

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100% :clap: 

Will you be drooping the ailerons?

Ciao

Thanks Giemme :)  I hadn't planned to but now you have me thinking :hmmm: 

9 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

I hadn't planned to but now you have me thinking

I'm telling you because the kit has the aux intake doors open, and when the Phantom is parked this happens because the air pressure bleeds off after a while; this also causes the ailerons to slightly droop. HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Looking very good indeed.

Dave

Thanks Dave - It's a great kit! :) 

3 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm telling you because the kit has the aux intake doors open, and when the Phantom is parked this happens because the air pressure bleeds off after a while; this also causes the ailerons to slightly droop. HTH

Ciao

Ah - OK - Thanks Giemme. I'll have a ponder :) 

• Like 1

About the wheels:

It was bugging me that I didn't received what I thought I had ordered (not the fact that they differed slightly in appearance) so I queried this with the model shop last week. They've now confirmed it's a packaging error. They've said to keep what was sent and that the correct wheels will be shipped once they sort with Eduard.

Happy days!! :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col. said:

That's a pity but sure you've plenty other bits to work on while they new wheels make their way to you. Good after-sales service though.

I'd certainly call it good service Col :)

As for lots of other things to do, you're not wrong!! :frantic:  I ticked a few off the list today though. I've painted the elevators, given the exhausts an initial coating and given the canopy the 'Klear' treatment  

32794165120_c1d51eaa83_o.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Looking a bit nice there. What did you use on the bum wings? I do like the metallic finish you have there.

Thanks :) I used Vallejo Grey Primer followed by Vallejo Air White, Aluminium and Gunmetal. I had considered Alclad but the areas are small enough to get away with acrylics. Hoping that a varnish and pin-wash will enhance them.

49 minutes ago, giemme said:

Elevators look neat! :clap:  :clap:

Ciao

Thank you Geimme :)

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, PlaStix said:

Lovely work Nigel. All those parts look great! :goodjob:

I hope the replacement parts arrive soon!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix - practice, practice, practice!! :)  I have a fair bit to get on with so hoping the wheels don't delay anything :unsure: 

12 hours ago, At Sea said:

Looks great!  I'll have to build an American Phantom one day...

Thanks AtSea :) I'm following yours with much interest. Your seats looked cracking with etch belts!!! :coolio: 

• Like 2

Nice progress, looking forward to more! 

Perhaps of interest, here's a source I found useful when researching VF-84 F-4Js in the early 1970s -nothing on the airframe you're building though, only squadron mates in the same era -anyway, perhaps worth scrolling through:

Roosevelt Cruise Book 1971

Roosevelt Cruise Book 1972 

1972 Underway  

-Jay

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Nice progress, looking forward to more! 

Perhaps of interest, here's a source I found useful when researching VF-84 F-4Js in the early 1970s -nothing on the airframe you're building though, only squadron mates in the same era -anyway, perhaps worth scrolling through:

Roosevelt Cruise Book 1971

Roosevelt Cruise Book 1972 

1972 Underway  

-Jay

Thank you Jay :) Thank you too for the links. I'll have scan through over the weekend :yes:

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice effect on the elevators and  cans nigel 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn :) More work to do on them yet (or should I keep the build clean and shiny :hmmm: ) but I'm pleased with the initial results!! 

• Like 1