Phantom F-4J (Hasegawa 1:48)

On 3/18/2017 at 0:00 PM, giemme said:

I feel your pain (I hate decals!)

Keep it going :clap:

Ciao

Believe it or not I like decaling but I had to soak it for about 15 minutes! I thought it might be a one-off but no, a couple more has made me realise this could be a long process :( 

On 3/19/2017 at 7:53 AM, Col. said:

That tail decal certainly gives your model a sense of identity :speak_cool:

I couldn't resist putting the skull on first ;) 

• Like 2

Hi Nigel. That certainly does look great with the skull and crossbones in place. I'm not a fan of the decal stages. I often chose the version of whatever I'm going to make based on how easily I think I'll be able to cut the clear backing film away from the codes. Curved numbers, especially with enclosed clear film - 6, 8 and 9, for example I try to avoid! Of the ones I've used I think Tamiya's are some of the hardest to work with because they are so thick and don't want to conform to detail - even with decal solutions applied.

Good luck with applying the rest of them.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

I've seen what you do with your decals and I take my hat off to you. Not sure I'd have the patience to trim the clear backing but they do look so much better. Maybe one day for that 'special' build  :whistle: 

These Hasegawa decals are not so bad now I've been working with them. I've found that once they start to lift, they are strong enough to be assisted with a brush between the decal and the paper. Here's what I have to date. lots of smaller decals still to go :hypnotised:

33415894422_bfd6c61600_o.jpg

• Like 6

Yip, cool covers the description of this one well, good work getting the fuselage stripe on as that looks a sod to position.

• Like 1

Disaster looms - This may be going over the side

The decals appear to have reacted very badly to the 'Sol' and I'm not sure it's recoverable :(

All I can do is leave it and see if they 'iron out'. If not, this build will crash land but I'll take many lessons away from it.

I 'll know when I get home tonight !

Haha - I feel the same Giemme but the decals are really bad. Rather than trying to rectify this, I'm considering ploughing the lessons learned into an Italeri (1156) F-14A Tomcat :hmmm: 

• Like 1

Have you tried more MicroSol on them and very, very gently pressing them down with tissue or rolling a cotton bud over them etc? Ive had some success in the past like this, not always, but... worth a punt?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'm considering ploughing the lessons learned into an Italeri (1156) F-14A Tomcat

:Tasty:  I have the 1/48 version of that.

Ciao

• Like 1

That is a shame! I had a similar problem once and in the end I had to gently sand off the decals, then prime/paint etc.. again but this was the last resort to save it. It worked but was rather annoying!

David

• Like 1

OK,

So I've decided to bow out gracefully. I was rather annoyed yesterday (to put it politely) but I've reminded myself that this is a hobby and it should be enjoyable. It's only the second build that has gone awry since I started building again a couple of years ago so all told it's not a bad percentage. I had considered the F-14 but I have another GB starting in a few weeks then another GB a few weeks after that. Hence, I'm going to focus on my F2007 in the interim and chillax (as my kids would say). This was always an unplanned entry but it's been fun building something new and taking away a lot of lessons.

I can't sign off without thanking the hosts for all their support and efforts, along with everyone who has taken time to assist and comment.

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

Ah, come on man! Its a simple masking paint job for after sanding back the decals (assuming you cant get them off without that required) and theres new decals here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-48-Scale-US-Navy-Air-Force-USAF-F-4J-Phantom-II-Model-Water-Slide-Decal-1-48-/381526444688?hash=item58d4bf8a90:g:yfwAAOSwX~dWoUWJ

Cant just sack it off at this point, its plain wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Ah, come on man! Its a simple masking paint job for after sanding back the decals (assuming you cant get them off without that required) and theres new decals here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-48-Scale-US-Navy-Air-Force-USAF-F-4J-Phantom-II-Model-Water-Slide-Decal-1-48-/381526444688?hash=item58d4bf8a90:g:yfwAAOSwX~dWoUWJ

Cant just sack it off at this point, its plain wrong!

Haha - Love the passion!!

Maybe one for the KUTA at the end of the year - Maybe!! ;) 

10 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

OK,

So I've decided to bow out gracefully. I was rather annoyed yesterday (to put it politely) but I've reminded myself that this is a hobby and it should be enjoyable. It's only the second build that has gone awry since I started building again a couple of years ago so all told it's not a bad percentage. I had considered the F-14 but I have another GB starting in a few weeks then another GB a few weeks after that. Hence, I'm going to focus on my F2007 in the interim and chillax (as my kids would say). This was always an unplanned entry but it's been fun building something new and taking away a lot of lessons.

I can't sign off without thanking the hosts for all their support and efforts, along with everyone who has taken time to assist and comment.

Cheers

Nigel

Tough call Nigel.  You have my sympathy but maybe as you say one for KUTA later in the year.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. I was just catching up and read the bad news. Really sorry the decals decided to play up. It was looking really excellent in the last photo above.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that :( It is, as you say, sometimes better to put a model aside for a while than ruin it through a lack of love and mounting frustrations.

• Like 1