Phantom F-4J (Hasegawa 1:48)

Oh dear - what have I done?? :facepalm:

I thought I'd build a second entry, this time from the air and from the other side of the fence.

This turned up in the post yesterday and I can't believe the size of it!! Oh well, in for a penny.....................

32829399391_2bacf1496b_o.jpg

32572952990_3885dfe741_o.jpg

32829401411_5044acc5e8_o.jpg

I'm going to see what aftermarket goodies I can pick up without making it too complicated. 

• Like 8

Wins the first battle of the GB and gets straight back into the action; good man :D  Think you'll find plenty of approval for that choice of markings :speak_cool:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Col. said:

Wins the first battle of the GB and gets straight back into the action; good man :D  Think you'll find plenty of approval for that choice of markings :speak_cool:

Haha - Just hope I've not bitten more than I can chew!! :whistle:

• Like 1

For aftermarket bits - the Eduard PE cockpit/interior and belt sets make for a nice cockpit with only the belts being a bit tricky.

Nice kits those - usual intake join needs a rub and filling of the rear if yure troubled by that and watch the underside forward wing to fuselage join. Have fun!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

For aftermarket bits - the Eduard PE cockpit/interior and belt sets make for a nice cockpit with only the belts being a bit tricky.

Nice kits those - usual intake join needs a rub and filling of the rear if yure troubled by that and watch the underside forward wing to fuselage join. Have fun!

Hi, I was looking at the interior PE and fabric belts last night. Might go for the resin wheels too ;) 

• Like 1

I had toyed with using the figures in the cockpit and an OOB build but the interior etch and seat belts, as well as the Brassin wheels, have won me over! Here's the cockpit with the detail removed ready for the etch (hoping to receive it in the post in a couple of days).

That pin mark on the sidewall should be covered by the etch but I think I'll have to do something for the LHS to remedy it. There are a number of pin marks on the kit in some rather surprising and inaccessible areas. It's a shame as I believe it mars what appears to be an otherwise superb kit :( 

32824372892_061f9accf6_o.jpg

The flight panels and seats are dry fitted for the photo. Though the seats are built, the 'cushioned' parts are currently removable for painting (to make life a tad easier).

• Like 5

Goodstuff. Will be interested to hear how you get on with the fabric belts, heard mixed thoughts on these. A plus though is that bending them about wont flick the paint off as it can do with the prepainted ones.

Hi wimbledon99,

I've been following your topic with interest, being a "Phantom Phanatic" myself", please note a small correction: you bought a F-4B/N resin wheel set but for your F-4J model you need the thicker tires of all F-4 versions beyond the B (the F-4N was an upgraded B), with an width increase from 7,7 to 11,5 inches.

Keep up with your F-4,

Rui

• Like 1

Wow - Well spotted Rui !!

I've checked the shop listing and the paperwork; both say F4-J/N. However, as you correctly state, the box says F-4B/N :hmmm: 

If I'm honest, I won't worry too much about 4 inches at 1:48 scale and if anyone notices when it's on the shelf, I'll give them a tenner a time ;) 

Cheers :) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Your tyres are too skinny.

Tenner please! :)

How about these belts? You going to use them or send em back and go PE?

:rofl:

Nope, I used the belts and they will have to do. This is a 'learning' build for me so I'll know better next time :) I'll post a picture when the rest of the cockpit is complete. They might not look too bad when it's all done :fingerscrossed: 

• Like 1

Hey Stix - Welcome aboard :)

I've already learned lessons the 'fabric' belts and the wheels. I'll update with some pictures when the cockpit is complete but yes, the kit itself certainly appears to be a good one! I'm sure there are lots more lessons awaiting me here but I'll do my best with it  :whistle:

Cheers

• Like 1

The etch was calling to me so I've cracked on with the cockpit. It's worth noting that the 'fabric' belts are not fabric. They are a fine rubber and very delicate to handle. The instructions say to 'wash' the belts with some colour but I'm wishing I had left them alone. They come in a grey colour and probably would have looked better untouched. Oh well, I'll know next time if I ever use them again. They should be OK once the lid is on :whistle: 

32922502982_20ded86c64_o.jpg

32922503812_4f4511cb79_o.jpg

32696604400_ec3a4b1e37_o.jpg

• Like 7

All looks more than fine to me. Different to PE belts, sure, but I wouldnt be unhappy with that in the slightest. Its good, man, its good!
Crack on, now, lets see it done.

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. The cockpit section really does look superb and I wouldn't worry about the seat-belts - they look fine from here! :thumbsup: It's all looking very good inside the fuselage. Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. The cockpit section really does look superb and I wouldn't worry about the seat-belts - they look fine from here! :thumbsup: It's all looking very good inside the fuselage. Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix - I'm still not sure about the belts but they're growing on me. They're not so bad to the naked eye. Ditto re. the weekend  :) 

7 hours ago, giemme said:

A phantom? :Tasty:  In 1/48? :Tasty:  With lots of aftermarkets? :Tasty: 

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  Great job with the interiors, so far :clap: 

Ciao

Hi Giemme, welcome aboard and thank you :) 

1 hour ago, mirageiv said:

Fantastic cockpit, the etch has really improved it, I look forward to more :popcorn:

David

You're very kind David - Thank you :)

I managed a bit more today - such big parts - I say Matron!!  :happy:

32712929310_82d7b8c2cf_o.jpg

• Like 5