Rhodesian Spitfire F Mk.22 | 1:32 Revell (ex Matchbox)

Hubert

Hi All

This is my first post here, so welcome, Mates :) 

Some time ago I decided to restart Revell's Spitfire Mk. 22, which I started around a year ago, but gave up temporarily due to its poor fit and lack of detail - and the most important, lack of idea, how to paint it. This time it is most of all an exercise in riveting (using RB tool and must say it is fun) - doing this for the very first time, so didn't want to spoil any better or more expensive kit...

Anyway, going to add here some more details from the scratch: upgrade wheel wells and gear covers, add formation lights - this is really a vintage kit and it shows. In the end I hope to get a result, which will look nice in the second row on my shelf in Southern Rhodesian markings.

That's how she looks like now: filed almost smooth, riveted, with some new panel lines, new position lights, drilled out exhaust stacks, upgraded cockpit, wheel wells ...

T8cSKG.jpg

sczPGv.jpg

ivlRNm.jpg

8BqGSn.jpg

6YqpuM.jpg

Q1LT54.jpg

6Kbp3t.jpg

96vsJo.jpg

In search of references I decided to buy a book about Rhodesian late mark Spitfires (Malloch's Spitfire: The Story and Restoration of PK350, by Nick Meikle), describing the restoration of Malloch's Spitfire F Mk.22. What a wonderful book, I tell you.

There are several photos and drawings showing the camouflage of Rhodesian Spitfires after the delivery in 1951. 
They have been repainted from High Speed Silver to something, what is called here as High Altitude Blue.

Have already found information somewhere in the archives of this Forum, that  Humbrol 28 (and therefore Gunze H311) would be a match, but I'm looking at these colors in the Web and don't see any blue hue. 

What do you think, Mates - will glossy light ghost grey be a better match?

Best regards
Hubert

Edited by Hubert
  • Like 14

Thanks, Adrian :)

With little effort one can make it look almost like a Spitfire.

However, I'm not going to correct all the wrong panel lines and shapes (and there's a lot of such things here), just want to add something looking better than out of box, which is actually very easy, as namely anything scratch-built here will look better.

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 1

On 19.02.2017 at 08:52, Bell209 said:

I have two of these Matchbox models in my cabinet but they're not even close to your standard so far!

Thanks for watching and your nice comment :)

To be true, haven't done anything special, just filing, sanding, scribing and riveting, few stripes of plastic here and there ;)

The works continue. Added the guns, some more work will be necessary, as the fit is poor - the wing mounts for the guns are a little bit flat, so the guns, which are circular in cross-section are just pushing the wings' halves apart - despite my efforts to make the holes wider. 

Have also drilled the 1 mm wide holes in the engine covers, which will be used to make the "fasteners" of the sliced plastic 0,8 mm rod. 

yoAHti.jpg

gClvN9.jpg

oq7Bv5.jpg

rHyBGA.jpg

0770t5.jpg

Jb1KNx.jpg

k2pofo.jpg

As for the camouflage, using two articles found in Model Airplane International as "references" I decided to paint the airframe in RAF medium sea grey. Looks blue enough to call it High Altitude Blue.

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 7

Formation lights installed (used a part of the clear sprue out of the kit's box, had to reduce its diameter slightly), started to add the engine covers' fasteners, and the gaps in the leading edge of wings after installation of the guns filled and filed smooth.

faPXMN.jpg

q7XsiV.jpg

YD1xRZ.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 4

Fantastic work on a feisty kit! She looks like a new tool Tamiya kit after all of your detailing work! I've got one of these kits too, but I'm a bit scared of it, you might have inspired me to attack it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Val said:

Fantastic work on a feisty kit! She looks like a new tool Tamiya kit after all of your detailing work! I've got one of these kits too, but I'm a bit scared of it, you might have inspired me to attack it!

Thanks, Val.

In fact, this is fairly easy kit, all those improvements are relatively simple.

If you decide to give it a try, just start with the wheel wells (I think the worst thing in this kit) and you are over the hump - for my kit it was too late, as I glued the halves of the wings together long time before I decided to do something more with this kit. 

I just love the powerful look of late mark Spitfires, what a pity that there's no good large scale Seafire 47 or Spitfire F Mk.21.  

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hubert said:

Thanks, Val.

In fact, this is fairly easy kit, all those improvements are relatively simple.

If you decide to give it a try, just start with the wheel wells (I think the worst thing in this kit) and you are over the hump - for my kit it was too late, as I glued the halves of the wings together long time before I decided to do something more with this kit. 

I just love the powerful look of late mark Spitfires, what a pity that there's no good large scale Seafire 47 or Spitfire F Mk.21.  

Best regards

Hubert

Thanks for the tips Hubert, and yes, those FR47s and F21s are just magnificent aircraft! Just perfect lines, I absolutely love them!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The landing gear... Probably will not use even a single bit of the plastic from the box.
SAC's Mk. VIII legs had to be slightly reworked. According to my calculations, the difference between 1:32 Mk. VIII leg from SAC and scaled down F. Mk.22 leg is equal to about 6,6 mm. 
Therefore had to prepare an insert 9,6 mm long, after removing 3 mm of the original leg.

I am aware, that the actual difference was 4,5", which in scale is not exactly equal to 6,6 mm, but about 3 mm less... but that's the actual difference between the SAC legs and the 1:32nd scale legs, at least I think so wink.gif, and what's more important, it matches the size of the gear covers, according to the plans I have.

That's how it looks like, together with new landing gear covers:

uVciQ2.jpg

uWH5aV.jpg

This small black item is the CMK's Mk. II gyro gunsight. Beautiful. 

Best regards
Hubert

• Like 4

Thanks, Mates :).

Slowly going forward with the fasteners of engine covers. Pieces of plastic 0,8 mm rod have been inserted into the holes drilled in the covers, now all will be cut to get the hopefully similar size of each fastener.

MBehgF.jpg

7SO2eT.jpg

s9fHg4.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 7

Added a small air intake on top of the engine cover. This is slightly reworked part from the box.

Most of the engine cover fasteners have been already trimmed.

yt7uKN.jpg

8mpMUx.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Mates

Not much to show, mainly due to the complete lack of free time lately - you know, family and job...

Anyway, left main undercarriage gear leg and cover start to take shape.

zblvHx.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 6

On ‎15‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 12:10, Vultures1 said:

I'm no Spitfire expert but I admire the work you are doing on that old Matchbox/Revell kit

I'm no Spitfire expert either, just trying to do something more than poor details as provided by Matchbox ;)

Slowly approaching the moment, when will be able to close the canopy and start painting. 

Have just to get the seat-belts done, for now I have made the fastening of the belts on the headrest and installed the seatback belts. The belts mounted to the seat cushion still under construction - must say that Eduard's seat belts are very well detailed, but need a lot of patience to get them done properly.

Managed also to make the second gear leg cover, both have been rivetted outside, still some more work inside to be done.

rOJ9DI.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 5

Thanks, Martian :)

Next thing was attaching the movable canopy. The fit is ... well, challenging, to say the least and stay polite.

Anyway, now masking, priming and painting, at last!

UchSJO.jpg

GJvwj3.jpg

cv5quT.jpg

zuB1b1.jpg

Best regards
Hubert

• Like 4

Thanks, Troy.

I haven't seen this article, but I've got the book on Malloch's Spitfire, fantastic man and story.

That first photo in your post is just excellent.

I think I will paint it glossy medium sea grey overall, according to what was written in March 2012 MAI issue, this photo seems to confirm this is the right choice. 

Best regards

Hubert

I'm afraid I've been away from BM for a couple of weeks so I've missed out on this.

Cracking job so far - really looking forward to seeing it completed.

For what it's worth, I finished one in 1/72 a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure that I went down the Humbrol 28 route :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976527-172-sraf-spitfire-mk22/&page=1

(I've another one going on in 1/48, but there again, I have a lot of "other ones" going on too and I'm struggling with the motivation).

Best Regards

mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitchem said:

For what it's worth, I finished one in 1/72 a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure that I went down the Humbrol 28 route :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976527-172-sraf-spitfire-mk22/&page=1

I've been considering Humbrol 28, even bought one (I've not been using these paints for years), but it's slightly greenish from what I see, and as  the description of shade points definitely at blue - will go down the MSG way.

Thanks for comment :)

Best regards

Hubert