Rhodesian Spitfire F Mk.22 | 1:32 Revell (ex Matchbox)

Hubert

Quick update: installed the outlets of the guns (very nice detail and tight fit), painted the canopy frames with the interior colour and polished the surface a bit to get rid of any dust and plastic particles before I put the primer on.

MfxHTG.jpg

xsxKRE.jpg

zkc812.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 1

Hi, Mates :)

I'm painting my Spitfire and still wondering, what green was used to paint the Rhodesian national markings - I will be grateful for any hints, because in the web I have not found a word on this topic, except that this green was to refer to the national colors of Southern Rhodesia ... Pretty bright green, probably will pick-up something more or less appropriate, but maybe it had a name of its own and came from the RAF magazine? 

Yellow identical to the RAF for roundels, I presume.

UdbCEy.jpg

aMtd9v.jpg

LjkivR.jpg

All pics for discussion purpose only.

Regards
Hubert

Edited by Hubert
Typo

Hi, Mates :)

Spitfire has received some paint. Used Tamiya's RAF Medium Sea Grey, covered with Gunze's Gloss Clear from the can.

Everything is pretty solid and clear, but that's how it actually looked like. Of course, some washes and post-shading will brake the color a bit, so  it is not going to be so solid at the end of the day.

svVapr.jpg

DXAg3k.jpg

ZTGYQV.jpg

asQiOm.jpg

rPP60R.jpg

As you can see, I decided to open the air intake to the oil cooler. Looks much better now.

The canopy will require some additional work too, the canopy frame does not fit well.

Next thing are the decals. I'm going to build SR60, therefore there's a chance to use the decals from the box or Montex masks, which will require some adjustments (for example making "R" out of "P" is very easy).

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Works are going really slowly, hope to have her finished within a month or two...

Decided to glue the landing gear in its places.

Original slots for the main landing gear in the Matchbox kit are located a little bit too wide. 

Therefore I relocated them a bit closer to each other by drilling new holes for the brass tube inserts installed in the legs. Original slots remained, as they are anyway covered under the downlock arm.

BSuklT.jpg 

bq30cw.jpg

JNpdLK.jpg

X1qEmv.jpg

oeA5gr.jpg

NX6tNk.jpg

There're still some remains of the blue-tac in the left gear well, which was used to fix the legs at the correct angle when glue was drying - will be cleaned-up of course.

Tail-wheel is a combination of the SAC leg and the wheel from the box.

Gear leg covers and main wheels  (from MasterCasters) installed only for a test, without glue. 

Looking at the photos of Rhodesian Spitfires it seems to me, that the gear legs and inner sides of the landing gear covers have been painted with the camo paint, only the wheel hubs remained in the original natural metal color. 

p3p5RL.jpg

tLfbyW.jpg

GYnIJD.jpg

3J0QbB.jpg

Therefore I will spray these parts with MSG, just like the rest of the airframe.

Best regards

Hubert

Edited by Hubert
  • Like 1

Thanks for your nice comments :)

Some details have been painted - wheels, exhaust stacks, guns... 

At the photos you see a final test fitting of the landing gear covers. At the moment I'm writing this post  it all has already been glued into place and good information is that the landing gear is quite strong and robust.

KayDOc.jpg

the Image sourced from www.revell.de

csm_04704__S_MR_SUPERMARINE_SPITFIRE_MK.

xkQ0Jw.jpg

wWtFDy.jpg

7pPLQ4.jpg

WUpnes.jpg

NGuz8e.jpg

As you can see I decided to upgrade the wheels' covers, by adding some structure inside. 
The wheels - instead of the MasterCasters resin wheels decided to use Resin2Detail wheels with circumferential thread - the difference of detail level is obvious and this was the pattern that seems to be installed on actual SR60.

NiLKsZ.jpg

The whole landing gear I made isn't maybe perfect, but I'm sure a lot better than OOB ... Hope you like it 
That's it for now.
Next - the markings, first I'm going to paint the green&yellow Rhodesian stripes, the rest will be made with the decals.

Best regards
Hubert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a piece of art if I may say so, and bearing in mind the starting point, a real feat!

Brilliant work, and looking forwards to seeing the completed thing. I have very fond memories of this kit, and I haven't seen them built too often, so thanks for the nostalgia too!

The thick decals - were they the ones that came with the kit?

Chris

Edited by English Electric
spelling error...oops!