Airfix Dakota IV & SH Tempest V

Just a couple of recent completions.  The Airfix Dakota IV is a pretty neat little kit with (for me anyway) near perfect fit.  The kit supplies markings for a DanAir machine and a BOAC version in a camo finish but I liked the aluminium finish option on the Xtracdecal sheet so that's what I went with.  Overall Alclad white aluminium.  Very pleased with the result.

Then the SH Tempest V 1/32.  This was a bit of a trial, partly my fault (I really, REALLY hate invasion stripes as I cannot get a decent white paint laid down) but also the instructions.  There is an awful error with parts numbering surrounding the front wall of the u/c bays.  I tried my best to figure out the correct configuration, flipping back & forth through the pages & the various (supposedly) helpful diagrams but didn't realise my error until I came to fit the undercarriage itself.  No shots therefore taken from the undersides; I'll remember this particular SNAFU when I come to build the Tempest II I have in the stash!  I also had issues fitting the main u/c legs which seem to be designed to fit into "troughs" that are attached when building the bays.  I actually wondered whether they were intended to "snap" into their locations but it was VERY tight & I didn't like to use to much force as I could see myself shattering the bays & ending up with the parts trapped inside the wings.  A lot of sanding & I got them to fit but it was a hairy phase of the build.

The nose is provided as separate halves into which the radiator assembly is fitted AFTER the two halves have been joined.  Fit isn't great but it all looks fine once assembled.   Normally I'd attach the halves of the nose to the respective main fuselage halves first to avoid any kind of stepped joint but I thought this would make it hard to attach the radiator assembly.  I needn't have worried as the fit was spot on.  Xtracolours & kit decals for "Bee" Beaumont's machine, 1944.

IMG_0036_zpsckgrzfvh.jpg

IMG_0034_zpsohaahhcr.jpg

IMG_0035_zpsurjzdncv.jpg

IMG_0038_zpsferd3rx5.jpg

IMG_0040_zpsz9t9nta1.jpg

IMG_0039_zpsot6mxwu5.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsxskjjc3a.jpg

• Like 23

Two super looking models. Stripes on the Tempest (and the rest of it) look fine to me. I was mightily tempted by the SH Tempests (especially the Mk.II), but the prospect of 1/48 Eduard versions on the horizon have stayed my hand. Although I can't say that your build hasn't got me thinking again!

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

They both look good to me, good skills. As for the white, I always use white primer then appliance white. Both from Halfords, both in large rattle cans and both at a very reasonable price (and no, I don't work for them!) They've always worked well for me

9 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

They both look good to me, good skills. As for the white, I always use white primer then appliance white. Both from Halfords, both in large rattle cans and both at a very reasonable price (and no, I don't work for them!) They've always worked well for me

Yes, I primed with Alclad grey primer hoping this might help but it's still pretty translucent in places.

The Dakota is really "shining" and I can't see what's wrong with the Tempest. Nice invasion stripes, really. Mine should actually be called "invading (each other) stripes" (so it's a long time since I dared a D-Day plane). Good job.

Love the Tempest but have to resist till available in my fav scale (please speed it up Eduard). Hands trembling when looking at the SH one last week., so I quickly bought flow improver and spare saw blades and fled out of the shop! I even forgot blu-tac....

Edited by PattheCat