Sovietwarplanes forum and site

spitfire

I received an e mail from Massimo Tessitori today with the new links to the Sovietwarplanes forum and site, so for all you Soviet fans here are the details

To all the members of Sovietwarplanes:

I am writing to inform you that the old Sovietwarplanes domain has expired.

I have created a clone of the forum at the url http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php

and a clone of the site at the url
http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/
that has been updated in recent time.

If you are still interested into Sovietwarplanes, please post something as a sign of presence.

Best regards
Massimo Tessitori

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 6

Dennis, thanks for posting this; Massimo's website is an invaluable resource for all VVS aircraft of WW2/GPW. Especially concerning the colors used(inside and out); his using matches(FS and Akan paints) is very useful. Hopefully he will look at the new Vallejo sets of VVS paints for their accuracy/closeness(which is often good enough). Thanks again!

11 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

Dennis, thanks for posting this; Massimo's website is an invaluable resource for all VVS aircraft of WW2/GPW. Especially concerning the colors used(inside and out); his using matches(FS and Akan paints) is very useful. Hopefully he will look at the new Vallejo sets of VVS paints for their accuracy/closeness(which is often good enough). Thanks again!

Massimo doesn't generally do evaluations of specific paint brands, but there may be some postings coming from folks who have been able to make their own comparisons. How about you?

Right now, I don't have the money to do that sort of thing; I have seen one poster here who did it for RLM colors and the paints that are supposed to be the particular color(RLM 70, etc.). A true labor of love! In the second link he lists the colors used by the wartime VVS; and offers a match, either the Akan color and/or the FS number. My reasoning was that he would check them to see if they do, or do not match the particular color. I didn't expect him to also go into how well it covers, etc.. My apologies if I implied anything else. The site is still a great resource for all things WW2/GPW VVS.

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

For some reason, I can't log in to the Soviet Warplanes forum. It says my username doesn't exist. Is that because of the cloning?

Chris

Hi Chris, maybe a glitch as I logged in with my normal username and password, as mentioned above drop Massimo a line if you still cannot log in.

Cheers

Dennis

I found the website extremely useful last year, when attempting to build three LaGG 3's (and three I-16's). I haven't given up on them yet, so I'm very glad the site still

ecists.

There is a wealth of information in there, also by specific kit giving pros and cons.

I tried to register on the new site with my other email, after my usual email and pass failed, but it says it's not taking registrations at the moment.

I'll drop Massimo a line. Yes, definitely still interested and very glad it has a new internet home :).

TonyT

I'm back in the Soviet Warplanes forum. It was my own stupid fault, too. On this forum, I used a version of my usual username that I only used on the Soviet forum, but had forgotten about. I have now retrieved the proper style username and this time I have written it down!

I should have written it down a long time ago, as I've been suffering from C.R.C. for years now.

C.R.C. - Can't Remember Crap.

Chris

• Like 2

On 2/18/2017 at 4:54 PM, JPuente54 said:

Right now, I don't have the money to do that sort of thing; I have seen one poster here who did it for RLM colors and the paints that are supposed to be the particular color(RLM 70, etc.). A true labor of love! In the second link he lists the colors used by the wartime VVS; and offers a match, either the Akan color and/or the FS number. My reasoning was that he would check them to see if they do, or do not match the particular color. I didn't expect him to also go into how well it covers, etc.. My apologies if I implied anything else. The site is still a great resource for all things WW2/GPW VVS.

Hi JP. No, I didn't think you implied anything else. It would indeed be useful to have some comparisons between AKAN, Vallejo (and possibly other recent additions to the VVS hobby paint arsenal like the Slovak brand, Mr. Paint) from the point of view of the colors themselves. AFAIK, Massimo himself hasn't expressed opinions at his site about either the accuracy or the behavior of any of the various brands. I've used AKAN's acrylic lacquers on a number of VVS projects and like them very much except for the fact that they're somewhat fragile after being applied -- one has to be careful not to pick up the model repeatedly by the leading/trailing edges. Mr. Paint is apparently another acrylic lacquer line and has received good reviews for its spraying behavior. I can't find anything online discussing how well either Vallejo or Mr. Paint has captured the various hues or comparing them to the AKAN colors, which were widely regarded as the most accurate ones available when they were introduced.

Cheers,

Pip