Tamiya T-62

Plasto

Hi,

I occasionally build the odd bit of armour. But nothing so far in 1/35. So I'm going to have a go at the Tamiya T-62 kit. It was cheap and I realise there are better T-62 kits out there but the aim of the build is to have some fun practice a few skills and try some new stuff out. Not end up with the definative 1/35 T-62

Here is the kit..

85730FE6-4C41-4875-BEDC-DB782E6803C9_zps

It's a product of its era and I'll need to sort out the motorisation holes in the hull and think about what sort of finished look I'm aiming for. But it's nice and simple as a kit and nicely moulded.

I made a start with the road wheels assembling them and once set knocking off the mould lines by chucking them up in the lathe.

D285D655-D75E-46A9-95D7-52607935AD59_zps

more later as it progresses..

cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 2

So a  bit more work on this old war horse...

Turret Texture added with some surfacer..

untitled-3032_zpshbg1ksg3.jpg

I also chopped off the front fenders....

I filled in the motorisation holes with some 2 part epoxy...

untitled-3030_zpsxecbdcww.jpg

and added some 'weld beads' to the rear plate using sprue and liquid glue and some chop chop with a sharp blade...

untitled-3031_zpsngypm3yb.jpg

I think I'll look to represent a well used Arabic Tank...

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback.

more progress. I have replaced the kit turret rails with some brass rod and also replaced the headlight guard with a scratched one out of brass rod soldered together. 

untitled-3033_zpsrrxxfi2f.jpg

I added the cables for the lights from lead wire. While I had the soldering iron out I addded some weld beads to the lower hull..

untitled-3034_zps9yiuizlr.jpg

I need to do so a bit of work with milliput on the hull and um now waiting on the barrel and what to do with the kit DShK....

Cheers

Plasto 

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 7

Thanks for the feedback...

Well I had a thought on the Turret DShK AA MG.. Its a bit lacking in detail and while i think you can get an AM version. I'm saving my pennies...

Given Im not modelling a Soviet Tank on Parade day but some Arabic T-62 I thought I'd add a cover for it to keep out the dust.. Just a bit of Tarpaulin wrapped around the gun to keep the sand and dust out of the working parts.. So I made a Tarp out of thinly rolled Milliput with a couple of tie downs. it was pretty thin so tore through in a few spots which I left as to me it looks like wear on the canvas tarp... I also used the Milliput to back fill the coax fairing and also the IR spotlight on the turret front. I then have added all of the IR and white light spotlights. With a bit of Milliput filler on the front plate... oh and a bit of Brass tube to represent the Barrel on the CoAx MG.

untitled-3035_zpssyulvc4k.jpg 

Someone else tells me the kit wheels are rubbish.... Any thoughts on that?? 

let me know what you think..

Plasto

• Like 3

So more progress... My AM barrel arrived and Ive been fitting that. I ditched the kit mantlet for the most part and cropped it down and made a replacement cover from milliput. I had to drill out the kit mantlet part to accept the AM barrel

untitled-3037_zpsicntvaqs.jpg

I've also done a bit of work on the fuel drums and straps at the rear..

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 3

More work on the T-62...

My Tracks arrived and I have built one run...

untitled-3038_zpsdaiuxuzr.jpg

The Tension on them looks about right. Good thing is I have heaps of left over links so I have been using those for some add ons...

untitled-3039_zps3dlo6hwc.jpg

I also added a dent or two to one of the rear fuel tanks using a bit of heat...

untitled-3040_zpscr0mrmru.jpg

One more track run to make which I have started.. 

Cheers

Plasto..

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep the tracks I'm using cover T-54/55 and T-62.

They are easy to use and fit really well. I'm opening up the pre cast link pin holes to 0.6mm and my tracks came with brass wire 0.4 mm which is easy to fit. On the turret tracks I used some steel wire I have which is 0.5mm and this fits much more snugly and gives a stiffer link. Apart from the utter tedious process of drilling each link out its a pretty simple thing to do. I've never used fruil tracks before and would happily do so again...

cheers

Plasto

Ok i finished the 2nd track run... 

Images below...

untitled-3042_zpsz7ejar7k.jpg

untitled-3044_zpsxcjrg3wg.jpg

untitled-3043_zpssfandtby.jpg

I have decided to 'upgrade' the road wheels so have some AM replacements heading my way.. I think they will be 'worth it'.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree the fruil tracks are very good indeed. The casting is flawless and the production quality is very good. Having used rubber bands and plastic link and length they are by far the most realistic. 

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Righto I've been busy with the T-62... 

First off Miniarms T-62 wheels rocked up and I fitted those... 

untitled-3867_zpsd3tynmtu.jpg

These looks better then the kit offering..

untitled-3870_zpsgrkf7xma.jpg

I cracked on with the paint... Now as i was working I tend to crack along so please forgive the paucity of in progress shots but it had a bvase coat of tamiya pprimer to unify everything then a coat of black surfacer 1500 then a base coat of MIG protective green some chipping fluid then a coat of 4BO more chipping fluid then a coat of sand dark green and grey... I freehanded the camo scheme here it is with a bit of chipping underway...

untitled-3877_zpsmf5jln4z.jpg

untitled-3879_zpsepsbjxgx.jpg

I have also painted the wheels .... here in protective green...

untitled-3884_zpseswve8ow.jpg

and sorted the tracks out with a bit of burnishing fluid...

untitled-3882_zpso9mptlie.jpg

So lots more weathering and detail painting to go. but it's got a bit of paint on...

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 2

Well, never let them tell you that this would be 'just an old, bad kit'. ^_^

That's an outstanding example for me how far you can get with a bit of putty and scratch materical, even without a metric ton of PE parts.

You did a fabulous job so far, thumbs up for that.

• Like 1