I-16 Type-28 ; 1/72nd scale

Hello folks , this is an airplane that I always wished to model since I started this hobby and I am glad I chose the ICM kit for the purpose . Even though this kit is over a decade old and belongs to a period when ICM were making kits that are not known for fit of parts  , the detail as well as fit of this particular kit  is very good . It is a very small airplane , even smaller than the i-153/i-15 !   I weathered the model to depict a machine as maybe be found in a museum in its original paint job - I like to think of my cabinet as a mini museum haha :) 

I have also included a photo with the i-153 and i-15 , those two are ICM as well . 

1D98B13C-42F5-4B64-872A-316E9E8E6AB1_zps

3F9AD0C9-8675-4124-A3F8-27F60D4F5C13_zps

54596E12-119B-4946-BEA9-2FD7ECBF7DE9_zps

0B8A93E9-898E-41C6-8679-598A37621424_zps

1BC558B2-062C-4924-A8EE-6B830D1DB870_zps

Regards ,
Basu 

• Like 33

Hi Basu,

you've achieved a great Rata. Just like you, I have always wanted to build this plane, but unlike you, I haven't come across a kit yet...

Well done and congrats for a great paint job!

JR

• Like 2

Nice little fighter you've built there. Can't say it's a pretty fighter or anything though :D

I really like the weathering especially the paint chipping and wear, given the size of the thing in 1/72 scale you've managed to execute it realistically without it looking out of scale and overdone.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Squibby said:

Nice little fighter you've built there. Can't say it's a pretty fighter or anything though :D

I really like the weathering especially the paint chipping and wear, given the size of the thing in 1/72 scale you've managed to execute it realistically without it looking out of scale and overdone.

For the chipping , I used the sponge trick - I dabbed a small piece of sponge in acrylic silver , removed much of the paint by pressing it against a tissue paper and then lightly pressed it at the surface of the airplane to obtain the chips . Since it is difficult to undo any mistake , it is best to remove as much paint as possible from the sponge before bringing it in contact with the model .

• Like 1

Dear Basuroy,

Very nice!

I have this ICM kit (type 28) and am looking forward to building it (hope it's half as good as your's). Did you get complete instructions with the kit? Mine has the information for parts and construction, but no sheet for unit details, painting or decals (not that there are many decals).

In reply to Jean's post, I had my kit shipped from Hannant's in the UK. The price seemed reasonable, but I'm unsure of exchange rates.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Beautiful job on the Ishak! The biplanes look very nice as well. I have all of these kits, but have yet to build them (I've built other manufacturers' kits of the I-15, I-153, and the I-16 - I have built the ICM I-15bis - nice little kit).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dazey said:

Did you get complete instructions with the kit? Mine has the information for parts and construction, but no sheet for unit details, painting or decals (not that there are many decals).

Thanks David for the kind words :)

No , I didn't get any decal/paint instruction either .  The box itself I think had the side profile of the 2 schemes and I checked out some models online to figure out where the decals should go . As far as the shade of green is concerned , I am not sure whether it is accurate or not , though  after going through some blogs etc , I got the impression that the Soviets were painting their airplanes just about any shade of green available as long as it said dark green on the label . For the underside blue , I added a few drops of that weird Russian blue green cockpit colour ( as seen in mig-21 etc ) to Luftwaffe RLM 65 .

Regards ,
Basu 

• Like 1

Basu, your green looks very good for a faded Soviet green (your blue looks good also!). Regarding the Soviets using any paint they had on hand, that is a common misconception. The Soviets used paints specifically manufactured for aeroplanes, nitro-cellulose lacquers (such as AMT-4 Green and AMT-7 Blue) for wooden and composite aircraft such as the Polikarpovs and the Il-2, and enamels for mainly metal aircraft such as the Il-4 and Pe-2 bombers. Remember that unlike the United States, where aircraft manufacturers were different companies using paints from different companies, in the Soviet Union the aircraft manufacturers and the paint manufacturers were all part of the same big 'company', the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. There was actually more uniformity in paint schemes and the paint used than in other countries, not less, due to the centralised nature of the Soviet system. I've had three books published (so far; I'm working on two more) on Soviet World War II aircraft, so I've done a bit of research on this.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional information added.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Basu, your green looks very good for a faded Soviet green (your blue looks good also!). Regarding the Soviets using any paint they had on hand, that is a common misconception. The Soviets used paints specifically manufactured for aeroplanes, nitro-cellulose lacquers (such as AMT-4 Green and AMT-7 Blue) for wooden and composite aircraft such as the Polikarpovs and the Il-2, and enamels for mainly metal aircraft such as the Il-4 and Pe-2 bombers. Remember that unlike the United States, where aircraft manufacturers were different companies using paints from different companies, in the Soviet Union the aircraft manufacturers and the paint manufacturers were all part of the same big 'company', the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. There was actually more uniformity in paint schemes and the paint used than in other countries, not less, due to the centralised nature of the Soviet system. I've had three books published (so far; I'm working on two more) on Soviet World War II aircraft, so I've done a bit of research on this.

Best Regards,

Jason

I really appreciate your correction because I have about another 5 or 6 Soviet kits in my stash and except for the Lagg-7 , they all require green - I will try to stay close to the i-16 :) 

Regards , 
Basu

• Like 1

Good, Basu! That green colour is a good one, although of course if you want to do a fresher aircraft, it should be darker (but I strongly suspect you know that). The other topside colour for 1941-1943 Soviet aircraft is very easy - Black. For the La-7. the topside colours should be a dark grey, something like an EDSG, and a medium grey, with perhaps a touch of blue. I use Testors Model Master Gunship Gray and Medium Gray for these colours, for what that's worth.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Good, Basu! That green colour is a good one, although of course if you want to do a fresher aircraft, it should be darker (but I strongly suspect you know that). The other topside colour for 1941-1943 Soviet aircraft is very easy - Black. For the La-7. the topside colours should be a dark grey, something like an EDSG, and a medium grey, with perhaps a touch of blue. I use Testors Model Master Gunship Gray and Medium Gray for these colours, for what that's worth.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks , I intend to use tamiya nato black for the black . I have an IL-2(the 72nd scale tamiya kit ) and is the correct colour for this specific airplane black ( asides from the green and tan ) or really dark grey with a bluish tinge ? 
Is the underside blue similar across different airplanes from this era ?

Cheers and really appreciate the guidance :)

• Like 1

No problem regarding the guidance - I'm glad to help! Yes, the blue was basically the same. There were some differences between the very early war blue and the later blue (the early blue may have been a little greener), but to be honest I don't really worry about it and you shouldn't either. Regarding the Tamiya Il-2, since this is an arrow (swept-winged two-seater), it should have the topside colours in tan, green, and dark grey (this was the camouflage used for Il-2s from late 1943 until the end of the war). The dark grey, and I have an actual Il-2 fin relic with the paint well-preserved on it, appeared to be a neutral grey - just black and white, with no blue or green in it. Some sources state that this colour (AMT-12 Dark Grey was the Soviet name for it) was very dark when first applied, almost black, but it rapidly weathered to a dark grey. I think my Testors MM Gunship Gray is a good approximation for a service aircraft. I can't recall if EDSG had a slight bluish tint or not (it may depend on whether its Humbrol, Tamiya, Vallejo, etc.), but I believe it's a good approximation also.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2